PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Lightroom 2 released

K1W1
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

From what I have read and seen it looks good. The image quality gap from NX to Lightroom with .NEF files has closed considerably to the point where it may not be noticeable any longer.

JTL
07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

From what I have read and seen it looks good. The image quality gap from NX to Lightroom with .NEF files has closed considerably to the point where it may not be noticeable any longer.Ah...but does it preserve all of your in-camera image settings in all cases (e.g. RAW/NEF) as NX2 does? Hmmmm.....

Aldor88
07-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Hmm looks interesting, probably gonna get it one day. I'll probably still edit my RAW's in NX tho.(I run them trough lightroom after)

e_dawg
07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Notable improvement for Lightroom 2 is that you can now make local adjustments a la Capture NX.

Visual Reality
07-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Ah...but does it preserve all of your in-camera image settings in all cases (e.g. RAW/NEF) as NX2 does? Hmmmm.....
What, like sharpening? Leave your sharpening for your last step before saving...especially since you have access to much better methods anyway. Saturation? The camera over-saturates images and it's best left to the Vibrance slider in ACR. The in-camera settings aren't very useful.

K1W1
07-30-2008, 04:22 AM
I found this quick story linked from Flickr (click here) (http://thomashawk.com/2008/07/10-best-things-about-new-adobe.html).
I think that it gives a good oversight into some of the new features.

rawpaw18
07-30-2008, 04:45 AM
I knew all the free upgrades had to end sometime. It was a good ride Rich,
this looks like an upgrade I might just pay for.
Thanks for the info.

e_dawg
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Just did some extensive photo editing and local adjustments with LR2 last night and have to say that it's not quite ready for prime time -- at least the local adjustment feature. The two main complaints I have are:

After a few dozen "brush strokes" for the adjustment mask, LR2 slowed down noticeably and started exhibiting strange behaviour with the selection brush.

After a bunch of accumulated local adjustments or a dozen brush strokes in a row, LR2 would bog down and you'd have to wait for it to "catch up" to be responsive again -- sometimes for 20 seconds. This is similar to the slowdown I experienced with Capture NX 2, but at least with NX 2, I had some serious local NR going on, which would understandably require a lot of processing power. LR2 seems to bog down even with "less taxing" local adjustments to brightness, exposure, saturation, etc.

I don't think it's because my computer is running out of juice, as I have 4 GB of RAM, a 10,000 rpm WD Raptor as my OS/apps drive, and an A64x2 5000+ CPU.

For the selection brush behaviour problems, I would "paint" a certain area to apply the adjustment, then go to the adjustment palette to change some settings, and it I noticed a big streak across the picture where it continued to apply the adjustment as it followed the mouse cursor across the screen to the adjustment palette.

The same thing occurred when I used the before and after side-by-side view and went to the before image to use the hand tool to move to a different section of the image. This time, there were a bunch of streaks back and forth, as it kept applying the adjustment to the image as I moved the hand tool back and forth across the before image to move to a different part of the image. It's as if LR2 doesn't know how to "stop painting" when you've released the mouse button and went on to do something else.

---------

Another thing I'm not convinced of is the output quality from LR2 compared to CS3. I don't know if it's a question of LR2 not performing the operations in the correct order, or if it's not using the appropriate interpolation algorithm when resizing, but when I ask for a 1600x1200 JPEG when exporting, I see noticeable aliasing on diagonals and sharpness & clarity lagging behind CS3.

Fiasco
07-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Just bought my upgrade. Downloading now. Will install tomorrow when I'm somewhat alert and see what's new.