PDA

View Full Version : 55-200mm or thereabouts telephoto suggestions needed...

Fiasco
07-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Yesterday I bought a Nikon 55-200mm VR lens. I used it on a beach shoot and got some mixed results with it. The VR didn't seem to kick in some of the time, and not all the shots at the telephoto end were sharp. I love the shallow DOF with the aperture as wide open as it would go.

I plan on returning the lens and exchanging it for a different one. My questions are:

1. Which lens do you suggest in the 55-200mm, or 70-300mm range, price being comparable to the one I'm returning.

2. I handhold my D80 for everything, so that considered, is VR absolutely necessary shooting at 200-300mm or can I do without it? I like to think I have fairly steady hands. :) I ask this because I don't see any other telephoto in the same range with VR priced similarly.

I look forward to your suggestions. :)

K1W1
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Some sample images with the Exif will help people give you an idea of whether the 55-200VR is performing normally or not.
On these forums individuals perceptions vary greatly and whilst you may think the lens is not as sharp as you want perhaps that is all the lens is capable of or maybe you are mistaking poor sharpness for something else. Letting others see examples will help.

Fiasco
07-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok some examples... The first one didn't come out sharp, while the second one was much better.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7751/dsc9218lq5.jpg

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7833/dsc9221nx9.jpg

EXIF:
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5471/exifkf5.jpg

Fiasco
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok. I took back the Nikon 55-200mm VR today which I bought for $229 plus tax, and picked up instead the Tamron 70-300mm lens for $189 plus tax.

I have to say, just taking the Tamron lens out of the box the first time, it immediately feels like it is a MUCH better build quality than the Nikon lens I returned. more weight to it, making it easier to hold while shooting, and it doesn't have the cheap feel I thought the 55-200mm VR had.

The image quality with the Tamron lens is much better than the Nikon lens, so I guess I wasn't just nit-picking after all.

Basically, I am very happy with my new lens, and so was the lovely model I shot with today. ;)

TheWengler
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I used to have the Pentax version of the Tamron. I had lots of purple fringing problems. Hopefully yours will be better. BTW, I checked out your Flickr page. You have some very nice stuff. I appreciate you giving some details about the lighting in each image.

Fiasco
08-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I used to have the Pentax version of the Tamron. I had lots of purple fringing problems. Hopefully yours will be better. BTW, I checked out your Flickr page. You have some very nice stuff. I appreciate you giving some details about the lighting in each image.

Thank you!!

Yomny
09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Guys if you dont mind helping a fellow shooter, i didn't want to start a new thread and well since my question is the same.. i currently own a sigma 70-300 apo lens and well i tried shooting at some airplanes and not very good results.. lets just say i need a VR or something that does a similar job. Looking for 200-300mm on the telephoto end. My price is range is somewhere in the mid 300's. Thank you

Turo
09-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Guys if you dont mind helping a fellow shooter, i didn't want to start a new thread and well since my question is the same.. i currently own a sigma 70-300 apo lens and well i tried shooting at some airplanes and not very good results.. lets just say i need a VR or something that does a similar job. Looking for 200-300mm on the telephoto end. My price is range is somewhere in the mid 300's. Thank you

Well, it is a little above your price range (mid 400's), but the Nikkor 70-300 VR is a GREAT lens in my opinion. Great focal range, nice and sharp, and VR works like a dream. Only thing is that it can be a touch soft at about 250-300 in non-perfect light, but I am also picky. It is pretty lightweight too, so it makes it easy to carry. I use it for all my wakeboarding shots and I am amazed at how sharp many of the images come out for such a cheap (relatively speaking) lens.

erichlund
09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
A lot of people using VR for the first time will not understand that you cannot just "take the shot". You have to use one of the various methods to prefocus (half depress of shutter perhaps the most common), and wait for the the VR to settle. You can hear it and see it through the viewfinder. Initially, it looks like the image is very jittery, then all of a sudden, is steadies. That is when VR is done, and you can then finish taking the shot. VR/IS/OS/(whatever other symbols are used) are the camera manufacturers way of introducing shutter lag into dSLRs. But, for some shots, it's very useful.