PDA

View Full Version : Do D300 Pict Controls Affect Raw?

Meadowfield
07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I just moved over from Olympus and am admittedly a little overwhelmed by the menu options on this beauty. I had been shooting raw on the 4/3rds side, choosing to process afterwards in elements, but have been tempted in part by the Rockwell posts to take advantage of Nikon's pic controls. However, I was under the impression that Raw was... well raw, and that there was no in-camera processing done. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance.

gmtech79
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
If you bring the raw file into capture nx it will honor the settings of the camera, if you have the settings dialed in perfect you can simply save the nef to jpg or tif, or do a batch convert on a lot of images. If you use any other converter, it will not read the any of the settings of the camera except some do read the white balance settings, but as far as picture controls aftermarket convertors won't read them.

If you do use capture nx you can always change the picture controls after the fact without undue damage to the file, unlike a bitmap type of image.

Visual Reality
07-18-2008, 11:27 PM
When using in-camera settings for sharpening, saturation, etc - these are only readable by Nikon Capture NX, or if shooting in JPEG they are saved immediately to the file.

If you open the raw files (.nef) with another program such as Photoshop CS3, they will look "normal", or as they should be without the boost from the camera. They way I see it, when shooting in RAW mode the camera simply sets these settings as "flags" that their software will read. Other programs do not see or interpret these flags and process the file as normal. I prefer this route, as I can get much more accurate results if I leave all in-camera settings off. I do my own adjustments and I have defaults set up that are automatically applied to all images as they are loaded into bridge. This is a starting point and while most images don't need further adjustment, the sliders are always there to fine tune each image.

Meadowfield
07-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks, guys. And since then I've discovered that Apple's Aperture can't even import a unprocessed NEF properly. So much for the honeymoon.

Rooz
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks, guys. And since then I've discovered that Apple's Aperture can't even import a unprocessed NEF properly. So much for the honeymoon.

what does that mean ?