PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the life of the Nikon DSLR forum

K1W1
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Who remembers the "A day in the life of" series of books where hundreds of photographers were sent out in a country to take photos on one day which were then amalgamated into a coffee table book?

Well I do so why don't we do a similar thing here.

I have designated Sunday 20 July 2008 as the "Day in the life of the Nikon DSLR forum" day.

The idea is that on 20 July people take a photo or photos of where they are. The photo can be on any subject a landscape, a portrait, the kids in the back yard, lunch, it can be spontaneous or highly planned it can be anything you like but it must be taken on 20 July and with a Nikon DSLR.

After you have selected one photo post it in this thread and lets see what we get.

BTW: If people from other forums want to steal this idea that's fine by me after all I stole it from somewhere. :D

XaiLo
07-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Tres Qewl... be there or be square. :p

JTL
07-16-2008, 09:27 PM
No fair! I'll still be wearing my fairy wings on that date. My Nikon won't be in my hands till the first week of August! :D:(:D

rawpaw18
07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
What's todays date?

I'm in, if I remember.

K1W1
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
No fair! I'll still be wearing my fairy wings on that date.

Easy. get somebody with from the dark side to photograph you in the wings then submit the photo. You can be the subject instead of the photographer. :D

Or, you could copy and paste my post onto the fairy forum. :D:D

Rooz
07-17-2008, 04:59 AM
great idea. i'm in.

K1W1
07-17-2008, 05:58 AM
I notice that my words have been posted across the road as the first person words and idea of some contributor without even the courtesy of an acknowledgement.
IMO that is very low and extremely rude.

Turo
07-17-2008, 06:38 AM
What's todays date?

I'm in, if I remember.

Same here. Lately I forget what day of the week it is, I only know WEEKDAY and WEEKEND. But if I remember I am definitely in.

e_dawg
07-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Aww man, I'll only have my Olympus gear with me on the 20th, as I'll be in Europe on vacation. The Olympus E-520 + 11-22/2.8-3.5 and 40-150 is my usual travel kit as it's light and compact, and the 11-22 is a superb walkaround lens for vacation (possibly my favourite lens on any system). It's equivalent to a ~14-28 mm lens on Nikon APS-C or a ~21-42 mm lens on 35mm FF (it's focal length has been tested around ~10.5-21 mm, and the 4/3 sensor has a FLM of 2x). It's fast and is sharp to the corners at almost every aperture and focal length, except for wide-open at the wide end (but only the extreme corners are affected). Its performance is possibly better than any zoom available for the Nikon system in that range except for the Nikkor 14-24/2.8. If you can't tell, I love it... this lens is one of the main reasons I use the Olympus system, as their bodies are nothing to write home about.

tekriter
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Count me in for Sunday.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Aww man, I'll only have my Olympus gear with me on the 20th, as I'll be in Europe on vacation. The Olympus E-520 + 11-22/2.8-3.5 and 40-150 is my usual travel kit as it's light and compact, and the 11-22 is a superb walkaround lens for vacation (possibly my favourite lens on any system). It's equivalent to a ~14-28 mm lens on Nikon APS-C or a ~21-42 mm lens on 35mm FF (it's focal length has been tested around ~10.5-21 mm, and the 4/3 sensor has a FLM of 2x). It's fast and is sharp to the corners at almost every aperture and focal length, except for wide-open at the wide end (but only the extreme corners are affected). Its performance is possibly better than any zoom available for the Nikon system in that range except for the Nikkor 14-24/2.8. If you can't tell, I love it... this lens is one of the main reasons I use the Olympus system, as their bodies are nothing to write home about.

EDawg has Don logged in under your name and changed sony for olympus?:D

I'm in but what to photograph, so many choices only 1 photo?

K1W1
07-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm in but what to photograph, so many choices only 1 photo?

I don't think anybody is going to be overly pedantic about the exact definition of one. After all I suspect that there are some people on this forum who can't count that high anyway. :D:D

fionndruinne
07-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Word! I'll be coast-ways for church tomorrow, so expect an oceanic shot (unless something else catches my eye).

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Here's mine, a photo of a rained out bushwalk - well actually the converted kiosk/restaurant at the start of the track.

Looks unusually european to me for an Aussie photo.

Rooz
07-20-2008, 03:32 AM
nice looking place DPR.

well..nothing special in my shots, but thats not what this thread was about to me.
sunday 20/7/08 is like most other sundays. its about family, sharing a meal, havign a laugh and of course, as per usual, Lucas is the complete centre of attention. my mum and her first grandson and my younger brother who's wife is pregnant with their first child...so some other kid is about to share the limelight...

anco85
07-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Just another Sunday for me

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/2685152738_1d85102ff5.jpg

rawpaw18
07-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Rooz, your mom and Lucas candid is simply wonderful.
It doesn't get much better than that!

Rooz
07-20-2008, 05:23 AM
thanks rich, apart from the fact that its OOF, i love the shot.

anco85
07-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Agreed with Rich, that's a fantastic shot

tim11
07-20-2008, 05:57 AM
...but he can't play here today.
BZ cleaning dirt on the sensor AND did quite a few things I shouldn't do to a camera.

CLICK HERE TO CALL ME IDIOT (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=317574#post317574) :D since it's not nice to hijack this beatiful thread..

faisal
07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, it took only about half a day for the Canon morons to ruin this idea over on the Canon DSLR forum. I spend time coming up with a decent shot idea for today only to have someone posting a shot from the 19th and someone else defending it...

Now, I'm not even going to bother to post my shot over there because that thread is now total and utter BULL$HIT...

I can't wait to get my D700 so I don't have to deal with stupidity like that anymore! :D:eek::D

I'm hoping you guys are smarter than they are and are able to follow simple instructions...I wouldn't want to be caught hanging around with another bunch of dweebs like them...:D:p:D

If you did work on coming up with a decent photo, just post it. Why let somebody stop you from showing the rest of us what you photographed....seriously just post it. If not in the Canon thread(as you think it's total), then here....anyway you've been already welcomed here, they won't kill you for posting a Canon shot.....

Turo
07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, I have been working at home all day so I thought I'd get creative and make a panorama of half of my home office. I used some trial image stitching program, but it left a watermark unfortunately:

http://ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~donate/public/panorama.jpg

But you guys get the idea :). By the way, the original image was something like 10,000 pixels by 2,800 or so, which would make it a ~28 megapixel image!

K1W1
07-20-2008, 05:38 PM
I used some trial image stitching program, but it left a watermark unfortunately:

Nice set up. Wouldn't mind a home office like that myself.

Try Autostich (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html) as a panorama program. It's free and I have had fairly good results when I have tried it in the past.

Turo
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Nice set up. Wouldn't mind a home office like that myself.

Try Autostich (http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html) as a panorama program. It's free and I have had fairly good results when I have tried it in the past.
I could be wrong, but I think autostitch is Pc only, and I have a mac. ;)

K1W1
07-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I could be wrong, but I think autostitch is Pc only, and I have a mac. ;)

I always thought that there was something strange about you. :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice pano and office setup Turo, shame it's only a mac though:D

Good family shots Rooz, do you have your release set to focus priority? I love that function and can't understand why the cam doesn't ship with that setup.

Rasidel Slika
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, it took only about half a day for the Canon morons to ruin this idea over on the Canon DSLR forum. I spend time coming up with a decent shot idea for today only to have someone posting a shot from the 19th and someone else defending it...

Now, I'm not even going to bother to post my shot over there because that thread is now total and utter BULL$HIT...

I can't wait to get my D700 so I don't have to deal with stupidity like that anymore! :D:eek::D

I'm hoping you guys are smarter than they are and are able to follow simple instructions...I wouldn't want to be caught hanging around with another bunch of dweebs like them...:D:p:D
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/5528/iconzfrown24mj.gif

VTEC_EATER
07-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Less talking, more photos. :D

Heres my contribution:

JTL
07-20-2008, 10:28 PM
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/5528/iconzfrown24mj.gifThe "offender" removed his photo that was taken on the 19th...some people have no principles or integrity...

JTL
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Less talking, more photos. :D

Heres my contribution:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2688209438_cacd5e0753_o.jpgThat is so perfectly lit, I'm stunned.

Secrets, please! :D

VTEC_EATER
07-21-2008, 07:41 AM
That is so perfectly lit, I'm stunned.

Secrets, please! :D

That was taken with the D300 and 50/1.8 at F/3.8. Full Manual w/ 2 SB-800's on manual as well. I had both set up to camera right. I bounced the main light off a wall to the left of the photo, and used the second flash off an umbrella to help fill in any shadows and add some hair light. I cant remember the exact settings as they varied for almost every shot.

I would post more, but this is the only one I have edited, and I have to say that I'm not too happy with Photoshop lately. I must have a setting wrong, or I need to do things differently, but every time I save a photo, it desaturates the image. In Photoshop it looks perfect, but in the basic image viewers, its washed out and flat. I have to keep going back and adding saturation to get it right. Thats why this one looks overly saturated. I need to play with it some more and re-upload it when I can get it right.

Oh well, thats the basic setup for the shot though.

VTEC_EATER
07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I give up.

Ive tried everything, but for some reason God just doesn't want me to have my images to have the proper colors while on the internet.

First its too saturated, then its unsaturated, then I make adjustments and its all off.

I finally got Photoshop to export at the right color space, but Flickr desaturates the images, DCRP is desaturating the images. Its a total loss.

So on Page 3 you have the edited one that DCRP desaturated, and in JTL's quoted photo, you have the adjusted (desaturated) image. Both are wrong, and do not accurately represent the image.

Its a shame because I think its one of my best photos to date.

So thats enough of my bickering. Did anyone else take photos this weekend?

JTL
07-21-2008, 09:19 PM
I give up.

Ive tried everything, but for some reason God just doesn't want me to have my images to have the proper colors while on the internet.Forgive me if you've already checked...but..if the camera (or color space processed with in PS) is set to Abobe RGB, the pictures tend to look like crap when posted on the internet because of the mis-mapping between Adobe RGB and sRGB and the differences in their color gamuts. Don't know if that's what's up, but I've heard similar complaints and that was invariably the cause...

My trick is to always make two conversions...one using Adobe RGB for printing and one using sRGB for display on the web.

josef
07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
So thats enough of my bickering. Did anyone else take photos this weekend?

Why yes actually.. Me and the wife took a little trip to New Orleans (we live an hour away) this weekend and went to the Aquarium they have downtown. I should've used my 50 1.8 as those fishies are FAST but I just got my 18-200 and I was just itching to try it out.. It was quite a learning experience.. ;)

the Aquarium..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2693645169_ce534ac7d2_b.jpg

This was crazy.. we got to see this guy have dinner.. they had two innocent lil chicks (already deceased) that this hawk just DEVOURED in front of everyone..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2694477342_a1d5df0444_b.jpg

Cool fish.. but I couldn't quite catch up with him.. this fast, low light stuff is out of my comfort zone.. lol..
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2694481828_d695b98f96_b.jpg

josef
07-22-2008, 07:16 PM
and lastly, on our way home from New Orleans we stopped by my mom's and had some dinner.. and she had some beautiful roses in bloom.. i've been playing with the picture control vivid settings and this one may seem a little too vivid.. but I was just curious to see how bold it would turn out. (it is the vivid preset +1 quick adjust.) the cropping needs some help but i am being lazy tonight :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2694515994_3f79272694_b.jpg

fionndruinne
07-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I can't get to mine yet... maybe tomorrow. Come to think of it, I don't know if I even took anything worthwhile on Sunday. But here's to hoping.

toriaj
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey there fionndruinne, haven't seen you around for a little while, good to see you back :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-23-2008, 02:46 AM
After you have selected one photo post it in this thread and lets see what we get.

Josef, Nice photos. Which was your favourite because we're supposed to choose our single favourite shot from Sunday. You can use edit advanced if you do choose to weed back the selection to 1 shot.

K1W1
07-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Doesn't really worry me.

rawpaw18
07-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Spent the day at a state park,

Warning SNAPSHOTS!

You remember Colin from the ball and bat shoot, he is turning 13 Thursday and the boy on the right turned 13 Tuesday. A little birthday celebration.

Wife and kids on the pond. Dark haired girl not mine. Heavily Cropped.

TheWengler
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
That 2nd one is nice josef.

josef
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
That 2nd one is nice josef.

thanks! i didn't mean to break the one photo rule (my bad).. I just had a really busy day on Sunday and it looks like not many others did :D.. so i put 4.. i like #2 (w/ the hawk) the best though.. i'll do better in the future.. i promise ;) (if this gets really official or something i'll gladly remove the other three.. i'm easy.)

AMDnut
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Took my family on a little trip.... this is from the 20th...

AMDnut
07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Another one from Sunday....

fionndruinne
07-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, this was the best I got Sunday. Tried for a little abstract, but of course it ends up being a clichéd piece of work. I need to shoot more often.

toriaj
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
It's still good to see a shot from you, seems like it's been a long time.

fionndruinne
07-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks. It has been a long time. Partially work keeps me too busy for much shooting. Also I keep feeling like I've exhausted the photographic opportunities around here, at least with my setup. Not really true, I know, but the spark just isn't here right now.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, this was the best I got Sunday. Tried for a little abstract, but of course it ends up being a clichéd piece of work.

I really like your shot. Admittedly the white sky's a detraction but I like the idea of getting down amongst the sand and those sharp clear grains of sand.

I've just been playing with my new polariser and whilst initially unhappy with it, it does give a tool to try and blue the sky's up and it finally rewarded me the other day on a landscape.