PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D40 monitor question

kmacsmama
07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
OK, I'm a little slow... I just recently got my Nikon D40, and the instruction manual may as well be written in ancient Hebrew. Anyway, I'm having difficulty getting my monitor to preview pictures... it stays black at all times, with the exception of when I turn the camera on or immediately following taking a picture. With my previous digital camera (not an SLR) there was a battery-saving option that allowed you to keep the monitor off, and I am thinking this is a similar option... however, I cannot figure out how to turn the monitor ON! Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I attempt to re-teach myself photography with an SLR!

XaiLo
07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Depress menu button, select "Custom Settings" option "7", "Image Review" turn it off. Congrats on the new camera enjoy and post some pics soon.

kmacsmama
07-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I still don't see anything on the monitor when I am taking the picture- I have to use the viewfinder. Or is that standard? You have to look through the viewfinder and can't use the monitor to set up your shot?

(Forgive me... I really am new to this! I will hopefully catch on fast......) :o

fionndruinne
07-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Correct. That feature you mention - called live view - isn't mainstream in basic-range DSLRs yet.

Learn to love your viewfinder.

btuner
07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
lol yeah hope you didnt think you were gonna be able to use a dslr like a regular point and shoot.

The viewfinder is your friend!

XaiLo
07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry, about the confusion of my previous post, my allergies are horrible... totally twisted question in my head.