PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation needed for compact tripod

kilasting
07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Can anyone recommend a compact tripod that can fold up for a camera bag? The tripod I am looking for extends to full length for standing on the ground. Not the mini pods hehe

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

XaiLo
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
what size is the camera bag?

kilasting
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Xailo,

It's a regular shoulder bag. Not too big not too small. It was used before for my canon s3. I just got the nikon d80. I am not sure if i need to get a different bag or not. I haven't received the camera yet so I am unsure if it all fits. Just looking for a tripod that is light weight and good and sturdy. Don't want to be luggin around alot of stuff / heavy stuff on a vacation.

Thanks!

XaiLo
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
If, JTL pops in here I remember him recommending one for a S3 owner many moons ago... send him a pm I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out. and or you could consider a monopod.

urfslam
07-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Manfrotto makes a little tripod that has legs that fold out. No extending or anything. The legs are about six inches long so it's good for tables, balustrades etc. I've screwed my manfrotto 322RC2 head onto it and it's rock solid. Unfortunately it doesn't have a product number on it or I'd give it to you. If you don't mind bending over it would work great and it's only about six inches long.

Urf

JTL
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
If, JTL pops in here I remember him recommending one for a S3 owner many moons ago... send him a pm I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out. and or you could consider a monopod.Here I am! :D

I have been using the Velbon Maxi-F tripod. It's main advantage is it folds to around 14" and weighs about 2 lbs., yet fully extends to 60"...and is fairly inexpensive! Too good to be true, you say? Well, while it is fine for my S3 and for an XT (without the battery pack) and a small lens, it really can not stand much more weight than that. Also, a brisk wind causes it to shake. So, while it is very good and serves my needs 80% of the time (it's been trekked through deserts, rain forrests and over mountains...real mountains) even I am looking for something a little sturdier (yet still ultra portable). The problem is, for something of real quality, the price jumps significantly. Never-the-less, I believe a Gitzo Traveler is in my future...;)

Velbon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-Maxi-Tripod-4-Way/dp/B00022UE8Y

It's probable replacement here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475899-REG/Gitzo_GT1550T_GT_1550T_Traveler_6X_Carbon.html

kilasting
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info JT!

500mL
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
What do you guys think of this tripod?
718SHB Bogen (http://www.adorama.com/BG718SHB.html)

I'm looking to replace an old lightweight tripod to accommodate my D80 with an 18-200mm lens attached/extended with something much sturdier. I want something sturdy and yet lightweight, light enough that it won't 20 lbs on my back. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks! :D