PDA

View Full Version : Observation @ US Olympic Swimming...

Daubs
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Fortunate to have tickets to the US Olympic Swimming trials here in Omaha. Took my camera the first night and got some okay shots (note to self, must have press credentials...).

Second night just watched and enjoyed. And noticed something interesting when looking at the professional photogs...

An even split between Canon and Nikon cameras! Lots and lots of D3's! Just a few short years ago all you saw on sidelines was Canon. Seems that Nikon is making in-roads to the sports shooters.

Visual Reality
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I definetely noticed the abundance of Nikon at a recent wedding...main photographer had a D300/D3 combo and the secondary had a D200/D300 combo. No Canon 5D's in sight...

Daubs
07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Vis: You think the new 700 is going to outpace the 5d, and the 5d MkII for that matter?

Visual Reality
07-03-2008, 11:40 PM
D700 is definetely superior to the aging 5D...but that's not really a fair fight. One of the only areas where the 5D is still top dog is megapixels...lots of room to crop...though if you are even worthy of owning one you should be able to frame your images properly from the start.

Don't know about MkII, can't really comment.

T06
07-07-2008, 04:25 AM
D700 is definetely superior to the aging 5D...but that's not really a fair fight. One of the only areas where the 5D is still top dog is megapixels...lots of room to crop...though if you are even worthy of owning one you should be able to frame your images properly from the start.

Don't know about MkII, can't really comment.

I do think you might have that back to front there CR, sorry I mean VR...:cool: why after all you are comparing it to a DX 12 mp sensor huh!!!

Rooz
07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Vis: You think the new 700 is going to outpace the 5d

i'm trying to understand whether this was a serious question or not. lol

one thing is for CERTAIN. the d700 will not be the best small FX body forever. thats the market we have now. ie: a very competitive one.

wanna know what a crap market looks like...no further than the FX market that canon dominated for years. now THAT was crap. crap for us becasue we had nothing in Nikon but also crap for Canon users who put up with weak innovations cos there was no competition.