PDA

View Full Version : Come on...Admit it...

Rooz
07-01-2008, 07:06 AM
you're all feelin a little smug to be on the dark side at the moment aintcha ?? :D

anco85
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, I only came over to the "dark side" a few days ago, but so far, I'm pretty damn happy about it :D

XaiLo
07-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Not smug, both manurfactuers have decent products, but I am elated that Nikon has just made life super easy on me. I only had two qualms with the D3 size and MP can't really call them qualms more in the area of ruthers. Now we can sit back and talk of the real dynamic duo sorry dark knight you have been Nikoned. lmao The compatibility between the D300 and D700 no brainer. Someone once asked me what particular lens made me go with Nikon I'd like to answer that question now, it was the 200mm f/2... Oh yeah... am I happy I switched way back when? he!! yeah. I can't begin to tell you haw badly I wanted this rumor to be true. Well done Nikon the only thing left to do is to sit back for the long hall 3 new DSLRs in a year and you know the D90 is coming. Who said Nikon was forgeting about the Pros.

Edit: Rooz, there was no correct option for me so I decided to give you a hard time instead. :p

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Well not exactly pity and certainly not contempt.

But those small dark screens, well I guess there's a reason those "equally capable in the right hands cameras" are cheaper:D

How come we're the dark side when you compare the 40D and D300 screens, seams the wrong way round:)

AdamW
07-01-2008, 07:58 AM
If I was starting out anew, the D700 is what I'd get, no doubt. But I couldn't afford to switch now. Still, every time Nikon does something like this it means that Canon will have to respond, so I'm even more hopeful about the 50D that I plan to get next year.

GaryS
07-01-2008, 08:18 AM
That was an easy poll... Thanks for adding the "Shut up Rooz"!

JTL
07-01-2008, 02:40 PM
you're all feelin a little smug to be on the dark side at the moment aintcha ?? :DWhen I show up in my dress and fairy wings with my chain gun, you'll be very, very sorry! :D:D:D

Camerajunkie
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I but I wouldn't look near as weird in a dress as most of y'all.

Paradox
07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
The way I see it, I couldn't afford any of the new gear that's coming out anyway at the moment - I'm perfectly happy with canon. ;) By the time they release an improved competitor to what will then be the outdated D700, we'll be having the last laugh. :p :eek:

K1W1
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
And in 3 months or 6 months or a year when some new whizzo Canon is released I guess this poll will return on another section of the DCResources forum

JTL
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm a mouse click away from turning to the dark side. Nikon built what I asked for...and there's a 90% or better chance I'm buying it.

I'll probably pick up the 24-70 as my kit lens...

The pop-up flash will tide me over until the SB-900 is available...

I'm hiking around Lake Como this Fall and I'm sorry Canon, I can't wait for your catch-up camera...

GaryS
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Do it JTL!!! It looks like a great camera, and an awesome upgrade from your XT!

Rooz
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
lake como ? you bastard. :(
i'm so jealous.

Rooz
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
btw: props to everyone who took this thread for what it was.
a bit of light hearted fun.

Phill D
07-01-2008, 11:25 PM
OK just for fun Rooz I posted hell yeah:D
I guess as I've gone with an Olympus E510 then you'd say I was way past the dark side & into the Matrix :eek:
Mind you "a bit smug I'm feeling" (said in Yoda voice) as although I've got the small sensor noise to put up with I don't get aching shoulders from carrying my gear round all day ;)

T06
07-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Shock horror next thing somfwit will be onto us & wanting to be pleased with the lot we have.;)

Prospero
07-02-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm hoping the D700 will make the D300 drop in price, so that I can afford one of those some day :)
I won't go full-frame in the next ten years, as I would have to replace some of my lenses. I really want the AI-s metering and better bracketing of the D300, though. And the fps, better IQ and better high ISO would be pretty nice too.

By the way, Rooz, whatever happened to that Tokina? I'm still waiting for samples ;)

Rooz
07-02-2008, 05:36 AM
it was faulty, i had to take it back. its been about 2 weeks and they still cant tell me when they will get stock so i asked for my money back.

JTL
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
lake como ? you bastard. :(
i'm so jealous.I'll be sure to post some pics on the soon to be started D700 Photos thread...:)

One PITA thing, though...now I'll have to scroll down to the Nikon SLR thread...the Canon thread was conveniently at the top. That's something I have to factor into my decision...

anco85
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
ROFL. Trust me you won't even miss those Canon folk.

They try to sway you over with kind words and candy, but nah uh, you must resist

Visual Reality
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I'll be sure to post some pics on the soon to be started D700 Photos thread...:)

One PITA thing, though...now I'll have to scroll down to the Nikon SLR thread...the Canon thread was conveniently at the top. That's something I have to factor into my decision...
Just make a direct link to it.

JTL
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Just make a direct link to it.A direct link? Oh, man...

It might be too much hassle to switch! :D:D:D

Visual Reality
07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh come on...Jeff doesn't really need the ad revenue or front page clicks right?

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Rooz
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
so onto more important things...when are you going to lake como ?

JTL
07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
so onto more important things...when are you going to lake como ?I fly out of Newark on September 11th. :eek:

Then a couple days in Milan...then on the train to Como...then on foot (and ferry) for a few weeks...maybe a side trip to Switzerland, then back to Milan...and then a day or so trying to find reasons not to come back! :D

I don't hope to make it all the way around the lake...I think that would take more than a month...but I plan to get pretty far...

XaiLo
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
That sounds like a plan have fun JTL.

Rooz
07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
asshole :(

Esoterra
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, I'm a mouse click away from turning to the dark side. Nikon built what I asked for...and there's a 90% or better chance I'm buying it.

I'll probably pick up the 24-70 as my kit lens...

The pop-up flash will tide me over until the SB-900 is available...

I'm hiking around Lake Como this Fall and I'm sorry Canon, I can't wait for your catch-up camera...

Lake Comoeyewanaleyyah near San Fran? TNB said he goes there every year for a little R&R... ummm have fun I guess! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding... make sure you take the sea plane over the Lake... its amazing. Can't wait to see your pics!

Idnas71
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM
..maybe a side trip to Switzerland, ...

Get thyself to Lucerne! The train ride is half the fun (Bernina Express). Seriously, Lucerne is so photo-worthy, in my humble opinion.

JTL
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Darth Nikon: "You don't know the power of the Dark Side!"

JTL: "What is thy bidding, master?" :D:D:D

http://JTL.smugmug.com/photos/324819029_XmMSB-L.jpg

JTL
07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Well B&H wouldn't put a D700 aside for me...but Calumet would...with the 24-70 no less...which B&H doesn't even have in stock. So Calumet gets the sale. Should be in my hands within 3 weeks.

O.K... so now all I need is for that troll guy to call me an idiot and everything will be as it should! :D

I can't wait to get this dress and fariy wings off...man do they itch! :D:D:D

XaiLo
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Not JTL on the Dark Side, well let me tell you why you should not be an early adapter, see I don't want you to be a fool so wait six months and by it from here! lmao apparently you did learn anything from what was that guys name :confused::confused::confused: :D

JTL
07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Not JTL on the Dark Side, well let me tell you why you should not be an early adapter, see I don't want you to be a fool so wait six months and by it from here! lmao apparently you did learn anything from what was that guys name :confused::confused::confused: :DYeah...I'm thick like that! I'll be foolishly shooting a new camera on a European photo excursion when I could have saved a whole lot of money and just stayed home with my XT waiting for the D700 price to drop in a year or so...man, am I stupid! :D:D:D

XaiLo
07-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Well I tried :( lol :D

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
JTL loved Darth Nikon.

As Rooz said lake como, you bastard I'm so jealous.
I was there 15 years ago with a P&S film camera trapped in a conference for a week. What a waste. Wish I was you going there for photography like you, really beautiful place. Post heaps of pics for us to live vicariously please:)

JTL
07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
JTL loved Darth Nikon.

As Rooz said lake como, you bastard I'm so jealous.
I was there 15 years ago with a P&S film camera trapped in a conference for a week. What a waste. Wish I was you going there for photography like you, really beautiful place. Post heaps of pics for us to live vicariously please:)If there's anything that you think I shouldn't miss, please let me know! Thanks! :)

e_dawg
07-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I'll send you a Zeiss 25/2.8 to use in Lake Como if you promise to send it back with the D700 attached to it. I promise I'll send it back to you in a week ;)

Rooz
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
whats the zeiss like ? i've always wondered but the lack of AF drives me mad.

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
The ZF 25/2.8 delivers some nice IQ and colour. It's definitely not a convenient lens to use, as focus is entirely manual (albeit with focus confirmation with every body), and metering available only on D200 bodies and up. It is also not a "D lens", so it does not supply distance information to the iTTL/CLS flash system.

It does not deliver the resolution improvement that I would have hoped for (i.e., ability to resolve the finest detail), but it does have nice contrast (and microcontrast), good flare resistance, short minimum focus distance / relatively high magnification, and fairly consistent performance (i.e, corner performance and wide-open performance are relatively good). It's possible that a higher resolution sensor could extract more out of this lens, but i never thought the D80 to be limited in that regard (e.g., some cameras have sensors with strong AA filters, obscuring fine details). Perhaps you should send me your D300 so I can see how it performs on a higher res sensor ;)

Comparing it to the AF-D Nikkor 24/2.8, the Nikkor has excellent contrast and pop, practically matching the Zeiss from f/4 up in that regard, with beautiful, saturated, and slightly warmer colours. The Zeiss has a slight edge, though, when it comes to fine detail and microcontrast, and holding onto performance a bit better in the corners and at wider apertures. It delivers slightly cooler (and possibly more accurate) colours, though. Also has a better suppression of flare and possibly highlight control as a result. The famous T* coatings work as advertised.

The focus ring is quite an improvement over most AF lenses, as it is very long throw, allowing for fine adjustments with good tactile feel and control. Although still a bit difficult to quickly nail the focus on regular focusing screens, it does benefit from a drop-in split-screen + micro-prism focus screen like the Katz Eye, which I have on my D40. Unfortunately, the D40's viewfinder is on the small side, so this negates some of the benefit there. Regrettably, the Katz Eyes are not very compatible with the higher end / newer bodies, so i wouldn't recommend it for the D300, for example.

Ultimately, with the high price tag and limited convenience, I'm not sure i would recommend it if you're not a big fan of manual focus and manual exposure (on bodies below the D200). It's definitely not a lens you should use for anything requiring you to be fast and accurate. It does have relatively very good IQ, though, especially with the current lack of selection of excellent wide angle primes.

So if IQ is your top priority, short of getting an AI Nikkor 28/2 or an AIS Nikkor 28/2.8 (or a new 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, or 17-35/2.8), it's probably the best available at this time.

------------

BTW, comparing it to another 25 mm lens just because... (I know it's a different AoV/FoV due to the smaller 4/3 sensor), the Leica/Panasonic
25/1.4 on the 4/3 system, the Leicasonic is just a better lens overall. Faster, sharper, higher resolution (I hit 2650 lw/ph at f/2.8 on an L10 using Imatest), as well as capable of auto focus and full metering on any 4/3 body. It is not a wide angle lens, however, due to the 2.0x crop/FLM of the 4/3 sensor. But it could well be one of the finest 25 mm lenses on the market, period. It could easily take on any Nikkor prime, and in comparison with the 35/2 (which I have) and 50/1.4 (which i don't have, but know how it performs), it comes out on top.

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Comparison pics from the ZF 25/2.8 and Nikkor AF-D 24/2.8. Don't even know what aperture this was taken at, because the lens does not report back any information to the camera. I'm guessing f/5.6 or so, as that's the aperture I tested the 24/2.8 at. Shot in RAW and post-processed in CS3, including USM and levels adjustments.

ZF 25/2.8
http://www.pbase.com/image/99688423/original

Nikkor AF-D 24/2.8
http://www.pbase.com/image/99688437/original

Phill D
07-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry to tap into this thread but can you please tell me where those two shots are e_dawg. I'm sure I've seen that view before but just can't place it :confused: . Oh and looking at your range of equipment in your sig how about taking a look at the Oly dslr threads & making a few comments as it looks like you have first hand knowledge to contribute.

Rooz
07-05-2008, 01:29 AM
thanks for the info edawg. much appreciated. i wonder how the 24-70 stacks up to them. regardless, MF on the zeiss and no af-s on the nikkor, neither are on my list.

Gintaras
07-05-2008, 04:06 AM
i wish Canon would react to customers wishes the Nikon way. luckily i did not invest in Canon glass, so if Canon does not yield or their 6D or whatever will be less performance or more expensive i will swap sides. i think it makes sense wait some time before prices on the market go down a little bit. so may be for next year. i will also keep canon for fun.

it looks like Nikon will be my major FF camera!!! Canon must rush to keep me on their side. :(

faisal
07-05-2008, 05:54 AM
hmm.....to a new buyer, apart from the consumer DSLR range (where the XSi seems great), Nikon is a real temptation. But for me, today I can just say ....Shut up Rooz... :p

But that might change in a years time if the Canon replacements are either not up to the mark of Nikon or are just crazily priced!!!!

Rooz
07-05-2008, 06:03 AM
]today I can just say ....Shut up Rooz... :p

lol...i share your sentiment fais. :D

Rooz
07-05-2008, 06:08 AM
i wish Canon would react to customers wishes the Nikon way. luckily i did not invest in Canon glass, so if Canon does not yield or their 6D or whatever will be less performance or more expensive i will swap sides. i think it makes sense wait some time before prices on the market go down a little bit. so may be for next year. i will also keep canon for fun.

it looks like Nikon will be my major FF camera!!! Canon must rush to keep me on their side. :(

the 6d will be cheaper than the d700 and have more MP, thats my tip. but its still just a canon no matter what they do to it. :p

you heard it here first. ;)

herc182
07-05-2008, 06:19 AM
the 6d will be cheaper than the d700 and have more MP, thats my tip. but its still just a canon no matter what they do to it. :p

you heard it here first. ;)

why do you think it will be cheaper? I had a feeling it would be more expensive? Either way I dont think it will be as well specified as the D700. Certainly more MP will not beat Nikon with Low light performance..or the AF.

Rooz
07-05-2008, 06:28 AM
why do you think it will be cheaper?.

the d700 right now is $2999. thats the premium price. i expect that to fall to $2700 odd by xmas. can't be throwing out the 6d at over $3k, it's gonna have to competer so i reckon its gotta come in low. if sony throw out their a900 by xmas, they will aggressively price it. this is a killer market. great news for us. :)

i think the d90 will show us nikon's intentions here. do they pitch it low for the xsi or high for the 40d ? or will they take the safe route and overspecify, underprice and end up in between like the d80 did with the xti/ 30d ?

just a side note btw: lookign at dpreview...i have never ever seen a hit rate with the %'s that the d700 is pulling. 18%...alot of interest in this segment of the market. i never realised that there was this much interest in the FF market in a DX body. its generating interst that the 5d which has always been a poor seller, could never do.

herc182
07-05-2008, 06:40 AM
I think the interest generated is a lot to do with Nikons advertising...I must admit thats how I got roped in to start with. Just far better advertising.

The D90 would compete with the 40d for sure, and given that it can be had for around 600 over here, it will be priced to suit that IMO. However, given the D300 is not gonna be that much more (body only) I might plump for that (as it would be a bigger upgrade than the D90.

What has stopped me with the D300 is that I have spare batteries, a hand grip and remote for the D80 that would be obsolete with the D300.

Not sure if I would sell the D80 yet...might keep it (for the sprog when I get one of those...).

I think a lot of pros are on tenter hooks waiting for what Canon will respond with. There wont be a massive exodus from Canon just yet because of the glass they have compared to Nikon (i.e. better faster primes). And as good as the D3 is in low light (and similarly the D700), the Canon Mark # all perform well enough at high isos.

Studio photographers will be more interested in higher MP which will be the canon Mark IIIn (is that the 21mp one?!) and Hasselbad.

Again, thats just what I think.

You are right though, its all good news for us...you thinking of the D700 for your primes? :D Look away Mrs Rooz...

Rooz
07-05-2008, 06:45 AM
i was always going to go FX with the D3 next year. the d700 will find a happy home soon enough. :D

herc182
07-05-2008, 06:49 AM
DAMN YOU ROOZ.

I only have two lenses that would work with the FX and dont wanna compromise on MP (by half!) to use the others....(which would vignette anyway wouldnt it?)

Rooz
07-05-2008, 06:52 AM
still a while away yet. nikon just made it easier for me thats all. ;)

herc182
07-05-2008, 07:00 AM
also note that the D700 has a pop up flash which the 5D does not...(wonder whether the replacement will). Invaluable for controlling flashes!

Rooz
07-05-2008, 07:23 AM
canon dont have wireless flash so its irrelevant to them. suckers. lol

herc182
07-05-2008, 07:58 AM
not even with an SU600 type adaptor on the hotshoe?

that sucks

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry to tap into this thread but can you please tell me where those two shots are e_dawg. I'm sure I've seen that view before but just can't place it :confused: .

Really? It's in Toronto, Canada, looking towards the financial district from the southwest downtown core ;)

Oh and looking at your range of equipment in your sig how about taking a look at the Oly dslr threads & making a few comments as it looks like you have first hand knowledge to contribute.

I've visited the Oly dSLR forum in the past, but it's kinda "dead" there. No traffic, and a majority of one-time posts from new users or people asking about buying an Oly dSLR. I usually go to fourthirdsphoto.com or DPR for Olympus and 4/3 discussions. But you're right -- I should go over there more often and contribute more to the discussions. If more of us 4/3 users do that, it could generate enough critical mass to make the forum more active.

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 09:19 AM
not even with an SU600 type adaptor on the hotshoe?

that sucks

I think they do have something equivalent, but none of it is built-in to the bodies or flashes. You have to get an optional SU-600 like controller module and it's more expensive for an equivalent wireless flash setup. Then again, I don't know much about Canons in that regard.

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 09:32 AM
I think the interest generated is a lot to do with Nikons advertising...I must admit thats how I got roped in to start with. Just far better advertising.

I think a lot of it has to do with the amazing performance of the D300 and the D3. Those two cameras arguably raised the bar when they were introduced and made everyone sit-up and take notice of Nikon. Canon's 40D was a bit boring in comparison, and the new MkIII had its momentum sapped with the AF issues. And it's only natural for people to think about the amazing clean 6400 ISO and ability to use 25,600 ISO and wonder "what if Nikon put that FX sensor into a smaller body and made a 5D competitor? That would be so awesome". As soon as the D700 rumours started, people were already primed and worked up into a frenzy.

I think a lot of pros are on tenter hooks waiting for what Canon will respond with. There wont be a massive exodus from Canon just yet because of the glass they have compared to Nikon (i.e. better faster primes).

Let's not forget about the high quality semi-pro f/4 zooms either (17-40/4L, 24-105/4L IS, 70-200/4L IS). Nikon doesn't have anything comparable (that's why I added Olympus to my stable). Either they have big and heavy pro f/2.8 lenses or they have slow f/3.5-5.6 consumer lenses. The 70-200/4L IS is the most significant gap IMO, which would be one of the first Canon lenses I purchased if I bought into the Canon system. I would be very happy if Nikon resurrected the 70-210/4, improved the optics, and added VR II and AF-S. Also would love a Nikon equivalent of the Sigma 100-300/4, but with the addition of VR II.

And as good as the D3 is in low light (and similarly the D700), the Canon Mark # all perform well enough at high isos.

... but clean 6400 ISO good, and the ability to use 25,600?

JTL
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
just a side note btw: lookign at dpreview...i have never ever seen a hit rate with the %'s that the d700 is pulling. 18%...alot of interest in this segment of the market. i never realised that there was this much interest in the FF market in a DX body. its generating interst that the 5d which has always been a poor seller, could never do.Because it's the full frame camera that the PEOPLE want. And because Nikon has a better feel for the market. The pop-up flash alone will sway thousands of buyers. Every time I mentioned adding a pop-up flash to a FF camera, swarms of snarling dogs would attack me. Well, we'll see who has the last laugh on that point!

What really turned me off is what Chuck Westfall (Canon Exec) said way back on February 5th about the 5D having no competition and another Canon exec saying that if people were expecting any 5D replacement news at the PMA they should stay home. Like the world stands still and waits for them. Amazing hubris. As opposed to Nikon's strategy of making sure the community knew that the D700 was coming...

also note that the D700 has a pop up flash which the 5D does not... Absoluckingfutly! My bet is Canon misses the boat on this...playing catch-up is a bitch! Anyway, I don't care now what the 5D replacement has. I agree, it will not be as well-spec'd as the D700. It sure as hell won't have wireless flash capabilities...;)

And, another myth is falling fast...that its all about the glass. I think that the D3 and D300 and now the D700 prove very convincingly that its also about the bodies...

Visual Reality
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Quick question guys...since this is a Nikon thread ;)

How does the D300 compare in ISO ability to the FX sensor in the D3/D700? Say you shot both at 1600, 3200, 6400. At what point do you start to see a big difference?

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Quick question guys...since this is a Nikon thread ;)

How does the D300 compare in ISO ability to the FX sensor in the D3/D700? Say you shot both at 1600, 3200, 6400. At what point do you start to see a big difference?

I would figure the D3/D700 sensor gets about 1 - 1 1/3 stops better noise performance than the D300 at 800-3200 ISO. For example, at 800 ISO on the D300, it's probably like 1600 ISO on the D3/D700 (1 stop difference).

At 1600 ISO on the D300, it's probably like 3600 ISO on the D3/D700 (1 1/6 stop difference).

And at 3200 ISO on the D300, it's probably like 8000 ISO on the D3/D700 (1 1/3 stop difference).

Below that, the difference fades, and above that, the D300 can't deliver a clean image.

Keep in mind that I have neither, so this is just based on what I've seen from all the images online.

Visual Reality
07-05-2008, 02:34 PM
How high do most D300 users go before getting unacceptable results?

On my D80 I cap Auto ISO at 800. I'd think that I'd put an upper limit of somewhere between 1600-3200 on the D300 to get similar noise results?

e_dawg
07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Again, not that I own a D300, but from what I've seen in online images, the D300 has about 2/3 - 3/4 stop better noise performance than the D80 at 800-1600 ISO.

So at 800 ISO on the D80, it probably would be like 1250-1600 ISO on the D300 (just over +2/3 stop). People will say that the D300 is very clean so it would be equivalent at 1600 ISO, but IMO some of the noise performance of the D300 is due to stronger and more advanced noise reduction in JPEG files (it will preserve medium freq detail and edge contrast even at higher NR, but it cannot preserve the fine detail and texture as well at that higher NR setting). If you were to take the RAW files and apply the same level of NR, I believe we're looking at just over 2/3 of a stop. Also, keep in mind that the D300 may already apply a bit of NR as soon as the signal is converted to digital right on the chip itself.

At 1600 ISO on the D80, it would probably be a bit better than 3200 ISO on the D300 (about 3/4 stop difference).

Phill D
07-06-2008, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=e_dawg;314815]Really? It's in Toronto, Canada, looking towards the financial district from the southwest downtown core ;)

Thanks - looks like I was mistaken I've never been to Toronto so I guess a lot of the financial districts look alike - especially after a long flight & when all you can see is a view from a hotel window.

Yes I look at DPR for Oly too, not tried 4/3 photo much though. Look forward to more discussion on the Oly pages here, I do find this forum format easier to work with.

Rooz
07-06-2008, 12:54 AM
not to mention that forum is full of the biggest bunch of wankers God ever put on this Earth.

faisal
07-06-2008, 01:24 AM
not to mention that forum is full of the biggest bunch of wankers God ever put on this Earth.

I agree....we've just go tooo many Nikon users on the forum :p :p

Rooz
08-27-2008, 02:37 AM
i think the smug-o-meter just hit another level. :D

Turn
08-27-2008, 04:16 AM
my funeral will only be shot with canon cameras
:)

K1W1
08-27-2008, 04:34 AM
my funeral will only be shot with canon cameras
:)

I could understand the reasons for that. No wedding photographers will be game to use them on live clients any more. :D:D

JTL
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
So, everyone else is still shooting their DX sissycams? :D:p:D:p:D

Are you all going to buy a D90, set it up on a tripod, start the video mode and do a little ballerina dance in front of the camera so you can watch later over and over again? :D:D:D

It should be easy for all the ozzies here to get together to arrange a group video...:p

LR Max
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Funny I see this thread. My good friend and I had a little bit of a debate (he is a canon shooter). He was talking about the new 50D and its 15 MP sensor.

I then asked if Canon had figured out the 3D AF tracking yet because I've been running that for almost a year now.

A smirk of various discouraging words made up his next comment :p

aparmley
08-28-2008, 07:52 AM
"Shut up Rooz!"

LOL

I never understood when people say that they can't afford to switch. I had two Canon bodies (XT + 30D), 17-55 IS, 75-300 IS, 35 f2, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 28-105, 550EX. I think I sold all the lenses for a total loss of few hundred dollars, I lost a lot on the XT and some on 30D, not much. This gave me enough money to buy all the Nikon gear I started with. Basically, I got to rent all the above Canon photo gear over previous 3 years and then swap it all out for new Nikon gear. I took my total Canon investment, recooped about 70% (The loss on the XT making up most of the total loss) turned it around into Nikon gear. Not the equivelant set up but, it was all new so my money didn't go as far. Sure, I lost money on it. But I upgraded, you spend money upgrading. You loose a little on your original purchase, then you end up making up the difference. so you have: orginal purchase + difference > than orginal purchase. If you have 30/40D, sell it and pick up the 50D you're spending money. If you sell your 30/40D and buy a D90, your spending money. Sure, you're going to have to sell all your Canon gear, but there is a market for that and its pretty good. I bet I got an average of 80% of original purchase price on all my non-camera body gear. Which isn't bad considering I marked it all lower than I probably could have just so it moved quickly.

Anyway, I don't see that I lost money switching, I look at it this way, I spent money so I could test both systems, side by side, and finally upgraded to the one I liked the best. If people have the money to upgrade their camera gear every year, they have the money to switch - its just another upgrade. If you make the switch to something better for you, it'll cost more than staying with your current system, but in the long run, its worth it. Sure its always best to switch before you get to invested, but it doesn't mean that you can't switch if you have a lot of gear. It'll just cost a little more to switch and you'll have to work a little harder at getting what you think you should for the gear your selling, but you can still do it, and come away with enough money to get you well on your way with your new camera.

Seems worth it to know by first hand experience if you ask me.

XaiLo
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
You're absolutely right, Apmarley. It just comes down to what's important to the shooter the investment or the experience. I've switched from Intel to AMD then back to Intel because of performance. If it came down to investment I'd still be using a Cyrix 133 & windows 95. lol

Rooz
08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
i've done the same with glass. i've bought loads of lens and resold them so i can test which ones suit me best. i looked at it the exact same way, like i rented the lens for a couple of months...only far cheaper.

Dread Pirate Roberts
08-29-2008, 02:12 AM
I can never understand the high resale price of glass or even the bodies, it's like because it's a hobby everyone penny pinches and gets second hand gear.

I'd look at it the other way if we'd followed the light side then we could have taken advantage of all the pros going over to the dark side and selling there gear. At least theoretically.

K1W1
08-29-2008, 02:39 AM
I can never understand the high resale price of glass or even the bodies,

It's quite straight forward really particularly with glass.
A lens that has been looked after is every bit as good when it's 3 years old as a brand new one so why should it not have a value similar to a brand new equivalent lens. It's not like a used car where there there is wear and tear an mechanical degradation. Bodies probably fall somewhere between a car and a lens in that there is some obvious issues with higher numbers of shutter actuations but the main thing with bodies is the technological changes that occur so quickly these days so a body that is almost current will be worth quite a bit as technology moves on the price of bodies will start to drop quickly.
Only today I saw some second hand D1 and D100 bodies in a camera shop at very inexpensive prices. I'm sure that they were great for what they are but who would want to buy a D1 or D100 today from a technology viewpoint.