PDA

View Full Version : Which Batteries to Buy

mastershot
06-09-2008, 06:06 PM
So im thinking of getting a canon a720 and im gonna need some LONG lasting batteries for it...

I have a few in mind:

1. Sanyo eneloops 2000 Mah
2. Sany 2700 Mah:
3. Pearstone 2900 Mah:

I would like to kno which of the three would be the best buy in terms of longevity and durability.

tnx in adv

Visual Reality
06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Eneloop all the way. No reason to buy anything else anymore. All the reasons have already been stated, i.e. lasts as long as 2500mAh batteries, always ready, very very low self-discharge, rechargeable 1000 times each etc.

mastershot
06-09-2008, 09:04 PM
So ur saying its LONGER lasting that the 2700 and 2900 Mah batteries i mentioned ??

AlexMonro
06-10-2008, 03:32 AM
When you say you want longer lasting batteries, do you mean you take 100s of shots every day, and want to get more shots per charge - in which case, the Pearstone 2900 would probably be your best bet.

Or do you mean you want to be able to charge your batteries, put them away, then get them out and use them a long time, maybe months, later - in which case, the Sanyo Eneloop is the one for you. This also applies if you only use your camera occasionally, say for a few shots on the occasional weekend, and you don't want to have to recharge the batteries before every time you go out.

All rechargeable batteries have a characteristic called self discharge, which means that if you charge them up and leave them, they will eventually go completely flat, even if you don't use them at all. With the high capacity NiMH types, this happens fairly quickly, maybe losing half their charge over a month or two, and going completely flat after 3 - 4 months. The Eneloop, along with other brands such as Uniross Hybrio, is a low self discharge type, which although having a smaller total capacity, will retain that charge for a much longer time, typically retaining 80% of the charge for over a year.

So if you want to use the batteries a few weeks after charging them, the Eneloops will probably have more usable charge left than high capacity types which might've had nearly one and a half times the charge when initially charged.

As to durability, if by that you mean how many times you can recharge them before they won't take a charge anymore, they're all probably good for at least 500 cycles. The most important thing is DON'T charge them too fast. Use a charger that takes at least 4 hours to charge them - fast chargers cook the batteries, and nothing kills batteries faster than heat. Try to avoid leaving them in a car in the sun too! :)

Visual Reality
06-10-2008, 04:07 AM
In my own testing my Eneloops (rated at 2000) slightly outlast my Energizer 2500's when both are drained within the same day...strong little guys.

mastershot
06-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Great Info there Alex... thanx much. And thanks again VReality... Appreciate it.

Rhys
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I bought Duracell low-discharge