PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card?

Katmouse
01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
:confused: After great advice from a salesman at Ritz Camera and a lot of online research, I am ready to buy my first digital camera, an FZ20. I'm very new to this, could anyone recommend a memory card to buy?

eaglestrikes
01-06-2005, 07:38 PM
When you answer his, could you answer mine?
I just bought a Bell & Howell DV 65 for my wife.
Are External memory cards universal or do I have to find a particular brand for this camera?

kgosden
01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Okay, two different and not too related questions. For the Panasonic buy most any card that you can find. Those high speed ones 'might' be worth a few dollars extra, but only if you shoot a lot of back to back photos. Otherwise save your pennies.

As to mister Bell & Howell, I guess you got pulled in by their low ball prices in those newspaper ads. I don't know much about what they are selling, but if it does the job for you , great. I would have big doubts about the overall camera quality. Sure they had a name in the 1950's for consumer movie equipment, but lenses and still cameras; never. I doubt if the camera uses 'external' memory, removeable yes, but it will be internal to the camera when in use. I do not know what type of media it requires. For such a low end camera I would buy the cheapest I can find.

Overall there are very few problems even with extremely cheap memory. Some of the cheapest is noticeably slower in HIGH END cameras, but it is my experience that no one brand or price range is more prone to sudden death than any other. This is after owning at least 100 different cards in SmartMedia, compact flash and Secure Digiatl meida over the past 7 years. I have had a total of 2 failed cards and one I am certain that I caused. Even those two were working fine for 12-18 months before they failed. One was in my PDA and constantly read and written to. The other I had manually modified the low level structure before it failed. The moral is just buy some and take photos!!!!

eaglestrikes
01-08-2005, 03:47 PM
The DV 65 has a slot for external memory and the book says you can get it and tells you how to install it. It does not mention what type, nor have I seen any specifically for B&h. Hence my question about whether they are universal. One size fits all no mattter what.
Reckon everyone has to start somewhere.

Manstein
01-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Did a quick search and it uses Smartmedia.