PDA

View Full Version : Lenmar AA nimh batteries

JonathanR
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I bought my son a Canon A-75 for Christmas. It's a great little camera and he's having a lot of fun with it.

But the Lenmar AA nimh batteries that I bought for the camera don't seem to be taking a charge. The batteries get very warm in the charger, but the red charging light stops blinking (which is supposed to indicate a full charge) after a fairly short time, and when I put them back in the camera and power it up, the "replace batteries" message flashes on the LCD and the camera powers back down.

I put 4 new alkaline AAs in the camera and it powered up without any problem - so it's definitely not a camera problem.

Any thoughts? Should I have purchased a higher-quality battery/charger set? Thanks.

01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, there is either a problem with the charger or the batteries... I can't tell you which one is wrong, but its normal that the batteries get hot in the charger... They shouldn't get too hot, but shouldn't remain too cold, both would damage the cells.

I would personally suggest that you buy either of these 3 chargers if you do have problems with this charger. There is 2 Maha chargers, the C204W(which I own), the C401FS and the Lightning Pack 4000N. All 3 are supposed to be excellent chargers.

D70FAN
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I bought my son a Canon A-75 for Christmas. It's a great little camera and he's having a lot of fun with it.

But the Lenmar AA nimh batteries that I bought for the camera don't seem to be taking a charge. The batteries get very warm in the charger, but the red charging light stops blinking (which is supposed to indicate a full charge) after a fairly short time, and when I put them back in the camera and power it up, the "replace batteries" message flashes on the LCD and the camera powers back down.

I put 4 new alkaline AAs in the camera and it powered up without any problem - so it's definitely not a camera problem.

Any thoughts? Should I have purchased a higher-quality battery/charger set? Thanks.

Toss the Lenmars. They are junk. I bought an 8 pack at Fry's Electronics for $4.99 and ended up throwing 5 in the trash. Also all of the batteries were a bit larger in diameter than spec so they don't fit well in some portable equipment (like my MP3 Player).

Just about any other NiMH's should work fine. GP, Eveready, Panasonic, Powerex, Kodak, etc.

The suggestion to buy MAHA C204 (F or W) chargers is right on the money. The best there are.

Here is where to find them (ignore the Lenmar battery group):

http://nimhbattery.com/batteries.htm

JonathanR
01-06-2005, 05:42 AM
I noticed that diameter issue, when I put one of the Lenmars in a flashlight, just to see if it had any charge at all. I had trouble getting the battery back out, because it was such a tight fit.

One follow up question please - do you think it's okay to keep the Lenmar charger or should I replace that as well?

Thanks to both of you for the information, it is much appreciated.

Jonathan

01-06-2005, 08:06 AM
We don't know if its the charger or the batteries the problem... One thing is sure, buying Maha chargers will give your batteries a more complete charge.