PDA

View Full Version : cr-v3 rechargable

sugarqfx
10-24-2007, 06:41 PM
hi recently i found this thing at a radioshack store http://www.radioshack.com/sm-more-product-information-for-the-cr-v3-3v-1800mah-ni--pi-2350307.html

it claims that it is 3v rated at 1800mah, i was just wondering how is it possible that a metal hydride battery cr-v3 is rated at 3v? isnt that just two 1.2 AA's? equals 2.4?

so is this thing really 3v?

i had a talk with one of their online people and they said that yes it rated at 3v

so which would be better two energizer 2500mah or this one? since this one claims its 3v and not 2.4!

i have a camera namely z712is which doesnt really work well with metal hydrides since its cut off is to high for metal hydrides, even thou the batts still has juice it cant power up the camera, so what im doing mostly is just leaving my camera on the whole time i use it and neer turn it off, i get 200+ shots this way, but if turn the camera off, the battery would have sufficient volts to turn the camera on!

so would this work?

any thoughts anyone? would i be getting more shots?

AlexMonro
10-25-2007, 03:31 AM
The rechargeable CR-V3 batteries aren't NiMH, they're Li-ion chemistry. Don't believe everything you read on a website! :)

Given whay you say about cut off problems with NiMH batteries in your z712, it seems likely that this battery would be a better bet. What does it say in the manual?

I had similar problems when I tried using NiMH in my Olympus SP-350, so I got a Uniross rechargeable CR-V3, which lasts for months on a charge.

sugarqfx
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
yup its truly a cr-v3 metal hydride battery, i inquired with radioshack and yes they say its rated at 3v wich is so really odd for me, cause i really know that metal hydride batteries are rated at 1.2v hence 2.4v, but i guess the only solution would be to buy check and see! i'll try to get one and check it out! i'll let you know what happens!

AlexMonro
10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
It might be a better idea to buy a genuine Li-ion CR-V3 rechargeable from a supplier that knows what they're talking about. As you say, if it is NiMH, it's inherent in the chemistry that the voltage would be a multiple of 1.2V, and would be likely to give you the same cut off problems you had with the NiMH AAs.

Rhys
10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I was warned by Canon that the Lion cr-v3 batteries have a high startup pulse which can destroy gear that's designed for use with AA alkaline/NiMh/NiCad.

AlexMonro
10-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Eh? How can a battery "have a high startup pulse"?

I can believe that THE CAMERA might draw a high current startup pulse, which would possibly be higher with a low output impedance battery such as Li-ion, but NiMH and NiCd are pretty low output impedance too. It's also true that CR-V3 batteries have a slightly higher voltage than 2x alkaline, NiCd or NiMH which they might replace, and this higher voltage might cause damage in a camera not designed for it. However, in this case, it's normal for the battery compartment to be designed so that it will only take cylindrical AA cells, and not the flatter side by side AA form of the CR-V3.

Sounds like Canon are bullsh*tting to try to cover up some design flaw (which I must say I find slightly surprising for a company of Canon's reputation), or the particular person who spoke to you didn't know what they were talking about.

Anyway, the OP said they have a z712, which I believe is made by Kodak, so what Canon say is irrelevant. However, it's probably always a good a good idea to check the specifications in the camera manufacturer's manual before using any type of battery not supplied with the camera. (I've just checked a couple of review sites and it appears that the z712 is normally supplied with a CR-V3 lithium).

Rhys
10-29-2007, 07:56 AM
This is what Canon said:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding batteries for your EX Speedlites.

We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to
assist you.

Recommended batteries for the EX Speedlites are either alkaline or NiMh

AA batteries. Lithium CR-V3 tend to have a stronger initial start
charge which may result in damage to the flash over time.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EX
Speedlite flashes.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Renee
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,

you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m.
-
8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

AlexMonro
10-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting that, Rhys. I guess the unusual phrase "stronger initial start charge" means the higher voltage of Li-ion, as I referred to in my previous post. I wish these "technical support representatives" would use plain language instead of stringing together a random collection of half remembered technical sounding words, then people would have more chance of knowing what's going on.

Anyway, the problem sugarqfx was having seems to be related to insufficient, rather than excessive, battery voltage, in the Kodak camera that does appear to be designed for CR-V3 lithiums.

I've just measured the off-load voltage of my rechargeable CR-V3 as 3.7V (not recently charged), which compares with about 3.2V for 2x fresh alkalines, and about 2.7V for 2x freshly charged NiMH.

Just out of interest, is the battery compartment of the EX speedlight not designed to make it impossible to fit a CR-V3? I've seen this on many items of equipment designed to operate only at the lower voltages - there are bulges which allow 2x AA cells to be inserted, but block the oval form of the CR-V3.