PDA

View Full Version : The D40 sux, D300 is overrated and the D3 is not as good as the MkIII

Rooz
09-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Sometimes i really miss coldy. :D

K1W1
09-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I think that his persona has been replaced by others.

rawpaw18
09-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Rooz,
I pulled up the thread waiting to read you were changing teams.

I liked to read the Cold Ones posts, I enjoyed his photos and his
personality. Even think he was helpful. I just never put myself in harms way. It seems that traffic
on the Canon side has decreased since his latest banishment. Could be my imagination, but there seem to be less posts.

K1W1
09-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Rooz,
It seems that traffic on the Canon side has decreased since his latest banishment.

I need to break out and do some reading of other forums.........:confused:

Rooz
09-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Rooz,
I pulled up the thread waiting to read you were changing teams..

lol rich, that entirely depends on the results from the d300 my good man. :D
(or if i can get my hands on a stolen D3 and matching pirated software). :p

jcon
09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Sometimes i really miss coldy. :D

I dont. Quite frankly, he caused to much trouble on these forums. Sure, he offered some advice occasionaly but sadly, he couldnt discern flaming from just posting facts.

I also read where you, Rooz, said you had hoped Jeff would rethink the bannishment of Coldrain. I strongly disagree and hope he never does. Hes been banned twice before, which means hes been given multiple chances to see that his behavior wasnt acceptable and needed to change something, which he failed to do.

Sadly, he bacame a negative on this site for many members, had it just been one, or two, thats understandble, sht happens, but when the arguement wars gets up into the double digits, you need to look at the source, and Coldrain was the arguement source.

Nobody is perfect, but most learn from their mistakes, this one didnt.

e_dawg
09-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Speaking as someone who hasn't been part of any of his arguments, I think he provided a valuable counterpoint, as too many brand-specific forums become a little too siloed in their thinking. It forces you to be more open minded and take a step back from the equipment since you realize not everyone thinks the equipment is that special.

Could he have done it in a different way? Yes, sometimes he was out of line. But you know that saying "it takes two"? You can't dance unless you have a partner.

XaiLo
09-30-2007, 02:35 PM
No! Comment!

fionndruinne
09-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Is the Cold One still banned? Methought I saw a new post of his a few days back.

Personally I've never minded heated forum-scrapping. Of course, there's a point when they just grow stupid and silly, but they're still rather energizing.

(hey, get lost, rabbit, I wasn't calling for you)

AdamW
09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
He's back. And Rooz, you forgot about Four/Thirds.;)

jcon
09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
He's back.

Coldrain is back? If so then I guess being "banned" is more like being on a 3 day suspension.

AdamW
09-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Coldrain is back? If so then I guess being "banned" is more like being on a 3 day suspension.

Yup. This has happened more than once with Coldy, Riley, and others. It seems like Jeff just wants to give 'em a time out to cool off.

K1W1
09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
It's virtually impossible to permanently ban individuals from forums.
It's easier for the individual to sign up again with a new user name, email address and if necessary IP address than it is for the Admins to keep track of it.
Banning generally equates to temporary suspension. That way the Admins aren't faced with trying to keep track of new accounts to confirm whether they are just the banned people with a new identity.

r3g
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Did he get perm banned?

yewsef
10-01-2007, 01:18 AM
It is true that I'm new to this forum but I have to admit that Coldrain is/was helpful. Even his arguments were decent, except for one that high jacked a thread :)

Actually when I lost the forums URL my search keys were Coldrain d300, otherwise I would have lost the forums for ever.

Honest Gaza
10-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Well Rooz, if you'd listened to Coldrain a lot earlier.....you wouldn't own that lead weight of your's. :p :D

tcadwall
10-01-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm mostly with jcon.

It wasn't that CR disagreed, it was about how disrespectful he was with other members.

Most of us can still show respect - even when we totally disagree. That wasn't the case with coldy. If he is back, that is ok with me, as long as he can show respect for others that disagree with his opinion.

For instance, I completely disagree with e_Dawg's comment... But I don't have to be rude about it...

Could he have done it in a different way? Yes, sometimes he was out of line. But you know that saying "it takes two"? You can't dance unless you have a partner.
I see it as the flip-side. My take is that for any two people to get along it takes willfull decisions by each to be respectful of each other. To have dischord only requires one person to be disrespectful. At the same time, I do not believe that backing down to a bully creates peace. The real challenge is whether we can stand up to a bully without creating a war... Sometimes you can, sometimes it seems impossible.

e_dawg
10-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I see it as the flip-side. My take is that for any two people to get along it takes willfull decisions by each to be respectful of each other. To have dischord only requires one person to be disrespectful. At the same time, I do not believe that backing down to a bully creates peace. The real challenge is whether we can stand up to a bully without creating a war... Sometimes you can, sometimes it seems impossible.

Hmm.... yes, yes... good points, my friend (it really hits home as I went through that a while back in a tumultuous relationship). And yes, that's the way to disagree with someone -- respectfully. Hard to argue with you there. But please, if you will indulge me for a moment (and I am speaking more generally here, not about what happened here), the reason why I say it takes two is this:

Party A - Behaves and comes across a certain way

Party B - (1) Perceives/interprets said behaviour in a certain way, (2) evaluates it against a set of expectations, (3) makes a judgment on Party A's behaviour and (4) character, and then (5) responds in kind.

While Party A is responsible for making sure he behaves a certain way, what sometimes happens is that he is not aware how he is coming across.

There is also a lot of room for subjectivity and interpretation (and yes, even fallibility) on Party B's part at every step. Did Party B interpret the behaviour accurately? I would say that this is hard to do face to face sometimes, let alone through written communication online.

What about expectations? If anyone has taken psych, this is an important point, as it's those "should statements" that get us in trouble sometimes, and make us irritated, upset, or depressed for no other reason than somebody else did not meet our expectations on how they should behave.

Taking this further, we find that Party B then makes a judgment on Party A's behaviour against these expectations. Are B's expectations and judgment against these expectations justified? B thinks "yes, absolutely" -- this is human nature -- but judging someone else is a risky endeavour because who really has the right to claim moral authority?

Even worse, though, is that we sometimes take it too far, get personal and start making judgments against A's character (this is where I disagree with you tcadwall where you say it only takes one person to be disrespectful). This is when B makes a willful decision to lose respect for A and then treats A in kind. It is this that sets off a "race to the bottom" of mutual disrespect and negative behaviour.

Now, having gone to great lengths to illustrate the subjectivity, great responsibility, and fallibility involved in Party B's role to demonstrate that "it takes two", I have to admit that sometimes, party A is clearly disrespectful and by all accounts party B has earned that moral authority to call party A on his actions and respond in kind... but it is rarely that black and white. (again, i have not been commenting on what has happened in this forum, but generally speaking)

BTW, I think this model of interpersonal dynamics plays out all the time in conflicts all over the world and, closer to home, in relationships too. Bitter divorces are just the ultimate form of what was discussed here.

tcadwall
10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
e_dawg,

This conversation is a perfect example of respectful disagreement. And you will see that all over this forum.

However, many discussions with CR just did not share the "respectful" element. If someone disagreed and persisted (even humbly) with reasoning and discussion, they would too often then be subjected to personal insults, would find themselves mis-quoted from un-related threads, and would deal with other types of slander.

It was just not producing a healthy environment, as many of the healthy contributers on the board were leaving or considering leaving.

e_dawg
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I hear what you're saying... At the end of the day, I never got into those arguments with CR, so all I will say is that it's unfortunate that it got to that point.

TheObiJuan
10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I missed him.
I also miss George Reihm and others from back in the day.

K1W1
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
George made some posts only a month or so ago.
I remember him saying once that he spends his time taking photos instead of talking about taking photos on the Internet (apologies if I miss quoted you George). :)

herc182
10-02-2007, 04:09 AM
I remember when we used to talk about photos instead of moaning about moaning :D