PDA

View Full Version : Photo Editing Software for my D80?

JBO
09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006

Is this a good program? I am not a professional and have been doing some product searches and this one looks to be the one that has the most positive reviews. However, I did read a review that a guy with a D50 couldn't put RAW images into the program. Is this true? Will all my pictures (both Raw and JPeg) be able to be edited on this program? If not what else do you suggest. I really dont want a complicated program such as Photoshop CS3 but something that is easier. I dont mind reading manuals but basically I want a program that wont take up a lot of space on my computer and wont require me 4 months to learn how to use it.

Thanks for your help

Josh:)

Turo
09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm a CS3 user simply because I already had it for my work and I am comfortable using it. But, I did get a chance to try CaptureNX at a friend's house and I must say, if I didn't have CS3 I would definitely look into CaptureNX. It has plenty of advanced features, but its simple to use and learn. And the results with it look GREAT in my opinion.

Tony_V
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Josh,

I just went through this. I purchased Adobe Lightroom about 6 months ago. When I purchased it I was shooting and editing .jpg files only. When I started shooting in RAW (RAW+JPG) I noticed more noise in the RAW images as I stepped up the ISO (JPG files looked better). As it turns out, Adobe (or any of the others I tested) is not as good at interpreting the Nikon RAW image file format as CaptureNX. I do not care for the way CaptureNX 'drives' but to me it seems to generate the best images. I plan to purchase CaptureNX (30 day trial is expiring real soon) and at the very least use it to batch process my images to 16bit TIFF files for final processing in Lightroom. If I didn't purchase Lightroom first I would probably use CaptureNX for processing and possibly Photoshop Elements for cataloging images.

My 2 cents...

Tony

fionndruinne
09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
More noise in high-ISO raw images may have something to do with the amount of noise reduction added in-camera on the D80.

Tony_V
09-26-2007, 02:27 PM
More noise in high-ISO raw images may have something to do with the amount of noise reduction added in-camera on the D80.

That's exactly it. Adobe Lightroom doesn't understand the information in the NEF file about the in-camera noise reduction, CaptureNX does. Makes quite a bit of difference. I tried but was unable to recreate the noise reduction in Lightroom.

XaiLo
09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually Camera Raw for Photoshop is pretty much straight forward and readily easy to get a grasp on. Also the power of Photoshop comes from its ability to allow you base control over the program. I agree the sheer number of process combinations can be daunting but there in lies it's strength. In a real sense you're only limited by your imagination and not the program. The key is knowing what it is you want to achieve then the rest just falls into place. Yes it might, OK it does take a minute to wrap your head around the tools but the rewards are well worth it.

tim11
09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
That's exactly it. Adobe Lightroom doesn't understand the information in the NEF file about the in-camera noise reduction, CaptureNX does. Makes quite a bit of difference. .....
I don't think Photoshop understand noise reduction in NEF either; that maybe a deal breaker for me. And is it only me who finds it's easier to manipulate colours in NX? Noise reduction feature in NX is effective too.

K1W1
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM
As usual ALWAYS update to the latest patches and releases of any program that you use.
Lightroom 1.1 and 1.2 have both had dramatic improvements in noise reduction amongst other things over Lightroom 1.0
Going back to the original post Digital Image Suite has now been discontinued by Microsoft and there is no way I would be buying discontinued software from anybody if I was going to learn and use that software in the long term.
This is especially true for a Microsoft product and double expressly true for software that was released onto the market BEFORE the camera I own was released.
If you want basic editing and file manipulation use View NX from Nikon for Free. If you want something more sophisticated without the hassles associated with Photoshop learning try trial versions of Capture NX or Lightroom.

e_dawg
10-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Capture NX is fantastic. I used to use Photoshop back when it was version 5.5 ;) and thought I would just try Capture NX but then move on to a "real" program like Photoshop CS3. Guess what? Never happened. I just like Capture NX too much!