PDA

View Full Version : Horse Photos

Tony_V
09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
I have been working on my post processing work flow. These are some images I shot a few weeks ago. All are shot with my 70-300mm G lens. C&C Please.

TNB
09-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I like her form a lot better than the others. Regarding the post processing comments, I'll leave that up to the photoshop masters.

XaiLo
09-23-2007, 04:26 PM
They look fine, what did they look like before post? what did you do in post?

Rooz
09-23-2007, 05:36 PM
look a tad washed out and soft on my screen. i picked my 2 favourite ones and added levels and curves and sharpening. beautiful animals.

LR Max
09-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Try using a polarizer filter. That might help out considering its a full blast sunny day.

XaiLo
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
OK I took the two that I liked. Couple of camera raw adjustments along with a curve adjustment ofr two. mostly played with shadows and tint in camera raw. I went back and changed the first one a little used the burn tool and tried to neutralize the blown highlites in the young lady. Hope you don't mind us editing the pics.

http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/09_sep/horse1.jpg

http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/09_sep/horse2.jpg

tcadwall
09-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Tony, if you shot them in raw you might be able to recover some of the blown highlights. Especially skin tones. If you did shoot them in raw and this is after fixing them, then you really just over-exposed them slightly.

I have some horseback riding photos that I took on a family outing (15 of us). It was a bright sunny day but strangely had a very slight haze at ground level, and was kinda challenging... But shooting raw, paying close attention to the histogram they came out pretty good. One of my favorite tools is the Threshold adjuster... I have used this tool in both Bibble and PaintShop Pro, and it is very helpful with slight adjustments to the extremes by helping to condense the dynamic range in the shadows (giving depth) as well as the highlights (helping to bring back highlights). Less drastic than using highlight recovery, and fill tools. Curves also help, since colors may be a bit washed in such bright conditions.

Tony_V
09-24-2007, 09:33 AM
They look fine, what did they look like before post? what did you do in post?

I shoot in RAW with saturation and contrast set to minimum. They are always dull right out of the camera. I use Capture NX to batch convert the raw images to 16 bit TIFF applying the out of camera noise reduction and if necessary do any bulk adjustments. Then i use Lightroom for final adjustments.

look a tad washed out and soft on my screen. i picked my 2 favourite ones and added levels and curves and sharpening. beautiful animals.

To me on my screen yours looked a bit harsh at first but as I went back and forth yours are better. I made some corrections and I am going to upload some again later tonight.

...Hope you don't mind us editing the pics.

No I don't mind in fact I like to see what other folks can do and are looking for. There are many amazing photos on this forum and a lot of talent.

Try using a polarizer filter. That might help out considering its a full blast sunny day.

I thought of this unfortunately the cheap 70 to 300 G lens filter mount rotates when focused.

Tony, if you shot them in raw you might be able to recover some of the blown highlights. Especially skin tones. If you did shoot them in raw and this is after fixing them, then you really just over-exposed them slightly.

These are shot in RAW and processed. I will have to see if Lightroom or Capture NX has a threshold adjuster.

Thank you everyone for your comments. As I posted above I will post some updated images this evening.

Tony

tcadwall
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
FWIW:

Xailo, your edit seems a bit drastic imo... No shot here, just commenting. The saturation and contrast seem a bit overdone.

Since the thread is really about PP... Or at least it became that...

There is a great 3rd party plugin for saturation in Bibble called "Sadie", and it allows you to select a color range to be affected, and then allows you to re-map the color as you change the saturation for the range. That is helpful to get more pop on certain colors without affecting everything. There is also a plugin for skin tones (I think called "Gina"). It allows you (via sliders) to select skin tones, and then modify the hue, etc. Really nice.

XaiLo
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
tcadwall, no worries, you're absolutely correct. I've come to enjoy punching colors. I was just trying to show what is possible a quik and dirty edit. What I would normally do is adjust the alpha on the different adjustment layers to get the result I want along with some masks.

tim11
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Beautiful animals!
Punchy colours there XaiLo but they seem too saturated and unnatural to me. Talking about horses... we have problem with horse flu outbreak here down-under.

Tony_V
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
These are the same 5 images I posted yesterday. The changes are as follows:
Added contrast (+25 points in Lightroom)
Added Medium contrast curve
Added Sharpening
Some Images required the black adjustment I did originally to be backed off when I increased the contrast.

These images are also a bit smaller than the first. It seems the jpg files are a bit bigger with the added detail.

Let me know what you think.

XaiLo
09-24-2007, 09:53 PM
tcadwall and tim11, here's what happens when I back off about 45 to 50%. there's a rhyme and reason for going past where you actually want to get to. you can always bring it back. And I like rich color I'm not opposed to natural reproductions... intense colors are just where I'm at today.

http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/09_sep/horse1a.jpg

http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/09_sep/horse2a.jpg

Tony_V
09-29-2007, 05:43 PM
These horses are a bit more famous. The dog clearly has the best job.