PDA

View Full Version : D3 hands on preview

K1W1
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Over at DP Review (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0709/07092101nikond300handson.asp)

Rooz
09-23-2007, 01:51 AM
dangerous to scroll thru and read. very dangerous.

K1W1
09-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Just keep repeating "What will my wife say when she finds out that I have spent US$5000.00 on a new camera body" or "I don't want to sleep in the dog kennel for the rest f my life" as you read.

e_dawg
09-23-2007, 02:35 AM
I don't see how it could be that exciting without actual D3 photos. Nothing we haven't seen before...

Tell me when they preview the D90 ;)

rawpaw18
09-23-2007, 04:23 AM
It looks neutered with that 50mm 1.4 mounted to it.

K1W1
09-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Phil Askey uses that lens for every photo of a Nikon DSLR.

No Control
09-23-2007, 09:11 AM
If I had a million dollars...:rolleyes:D

erichlund
09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Here's another user hand's on: Scott Kelby (http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2007/archives/571)

XaiLo
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I need to rent a dog house for the next ten years :(..... but I'll have a lot of beautiful pictures to keep me happy. Such is life, something tells me my wife is about to get something she's just going to love. Something to take her mind off of things (D3) yeah that will work! :D

VTEC_EATER
09-24-2007, 06:11 AM
And another hands-on preview, with photos:

http://cliffmautner.typepad.com/

TNB
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
It would be nice to see a blown up version of that 6400 shot.

accord2003
09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I am new to SLR photography. I have been shooting for a short period and found myself constantly looking at the D3. I think I am going crazy. This hobby sure is addictive. :)

Anyhow, I found some links on the D3. I do not think it has been posted here yet.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/Content/Nikon-D3-Digital-Camera-Sample-Images.shtml

http://cliffmautner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/ok-its-after-1a.html

Esoterra
09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Before you get sucked up into the D3 frenzy... ask yourself this: Can you wait 2-3 more years for a full frame Nikon/Canon under $2,500? its going to happen, and I dont want to look back and think of the many things I could have spent that $5,000 on.

TNB
09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
I dont want to look back and think of the many things I could have spent that $5,000 on.
Then don't. :p

Esoterra
09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Darryl...normally you are an ok guy, but I have to say.. your last comment was unnecessary!

TNB
09-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Darryl...normally you are an ok guy, but I have to say.. your last comment was unnecessary!
For me, it's rather simple. Each member has their own budget and quite frankly, I've seen pre-teens with a Nikon D2Xs. If someone is interested in a high dollar camera that I, myself, wouldn't mind owning, I'm not going to talk them out of it since I have no idea of their budget, of their purpose, or of their long-term goals. In a way, it is sort of like trying to talk someone into attending a community college when in fact they desire to attend an Ivy League school. Consequently, if the person really desires a high-quality tool, I would never suggest that they wait two or three years. The person also owns a D70s, a 50mm F1.8, and an SB600 so it's not like he isn't somewhat familiar with Nikon.

More importantly, or rather not that important, but I have no idea why you didn't notice the smily face at the end of my original post. I'd suggest that someone may want to lighten up, but since it was not my original intent to upset someone earlier, I'd rather not since that is still not my original intent. So be it, since I'm not looking back nor editing my original post.

XaiLo
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the links ;) There's a lot to be happy with in the D3 5k or not... from what's been disseminated so far it looks to be good news on the horizon. Personally I've been waitng for Nikon or Canon to step up their game and in contrast to the EOS-1D Mark III and the EOS-1DS Mark II, Nikon would seem to be sitting in a sweet spot. it's all relative. Happy shooting.

cwphoto
09-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the links ;) There's a lot to be happy with in the D3 5k or not... from what's been disseminated so far it looks to be good news on the horizon. Personally I've been waitng for Nikon or Canon to step up their game and in contrast to the EOS-1D Mark III and the EOS-1DS Mark II, Nikon would seem to be sitting in a sweet spot. it's all relative. Happy shooting.

I concur. If only Canon made a camera like this. :(

rawpaw18
09-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Link to the samples

http://www.digitalreview.ca/Content/Nikon-D3-Digital-Camera-Sample-Images.shtml

accord2003
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I am sorry I created some trouble here.

Anyhow, I was like everyone else got sucked into the hype. There was a split second that I might be able to purchase this camera. But after a few more, I said "are you crazy".

Perhaps one day. Anyhow, sorry for the trouble.

TNB
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
In my opinion, you did NOT create a problem or any trouble. Just have fun with your current camera and if you upgrade, have fun with the upgrade as well. Look forward! ;)

jcon
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Anyhow, I was like everyone else got sucked into the hype.

Like the previous post said, no trouble... and there is good reason to get "sucked in to the hype", it looks like this is going to be one badass camera!

Is it just me or do the baseball pics linked to by Rich seem "flat"? I know they are basically to prove the ISO abilities, but they just seem so dull, and the colors flat.

TNB
09-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Is it just me or do the baseball pics linked to by Rich seem "flat"? I know they are basically to prove the ISO abilities, but they just seem so dull, and the colors flat.
The enlarged photos look pretty realistic to me--probably just didn't crank up the "vividness" or saturation like I tend to see in many post-processed photos. Overall, I like the way the photographer was still able to catch the threads on the ball at ISO 4000. I wouldn't mind owning those lenses as well. Did you notice how almost all of those photos have a Nikon banner in the background? LOL.

rawpaw18
09-26-2007, 07:18 PM

It will be interesting to see processed raw shots, from what I keep reading there is no software to open the raw files as of yet. Might make a big difference.

erichlund
09-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I haven't gotten a definitive answer, but it's rumored that you can open the new camera's NEF files in Nikon ViewNX.

Rooz
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
viewNX does open all raw NEF files and allows for very basic raw adjustment.

erichlund
09-27-2007, 07:00 AM
viewNX does open all raw NEF files and allows for very basic raw adjustment.

That's a fairly generic statement. I must be made clear that CaptureNX will require an update to open NEF files from the new cameras. viewNX is to be included with the new cameras, which is why it already has the update.

accord2003
09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
more D3 pics..

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8743-9108

Esoterra
09-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Those look really good. Iso 6400 is very useable. This puts a whole new meaning to Wedding Photography. Lets see if the D300 even comes close to noise performance.

hankbeblazin
09-28-2007, 09:12 PM
thats really impressive, his 6400 looks like my 1600. thats amazing

Rooz
09-28-2007, 10:08 PM
That's a fairly generic statement. I must be made clear that CaptureNX will require an update to open NEF files from the new cameras. viewNX is to be included with the new cameras, which is why it already has the update.

whats so generic about it ? :confused: do you think there is any chance at all that nikon software would not support any new NEF formats from any new nikon camera ? i hardly think so.

K1W1
09-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I think Eric was just pointing out that viewNX being newer will probably have embedded support for the D3 / D300 whilst Capture NX (and every other editing program) will require an update before it natively supports these two cameras.
This happens every time Nikon release cameras. People post questions like "Why will my five year old pirate copy of Photo Blogger v0.2 not support the brand new latest release Nikon I just purchased and was too cheap to buy the software to take advantage of the cameras capabilities?"

On the D3 / D300 front I might have some good news. SWMBO is out now looking at a couple of options for a new camera to replace her 2MP Panasonic P&S (great little camera), one thing on the fondle list is a D40. If she likes it maybe I can use the "you have my D50 and I'll get a D300 argument." :eek:

erichlund
09-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Bingo, just as ViewNX will require an update when the D90, or whatever is next, comes out.

And, good luck with that.

K1W1
09-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Bingo, just as ViewNX will require an update when the D90, or whatever is next, comes out.

And, good luck with that.

D90 - sounds like the subject of a new rumour thread in a couple of months to me. :):)
Let's start thinking up features / benefits / prices and accessories so we are all prepared. :D

rawpaw18
09-29-2007, 04:17 AM
On the D3 / D300 front I might have some good news. SWMBO is out now looking at a couple of options for a new camera to replace her 2MP Panasonic P&S (great little camera), one thing on the fondle list is a D40. If she likes it maybe I can use the "you have my D50 and I'll get a D300 argument." :eek:

That would be great, but you have to make it look as though it is her idea!
My wife does not want a camera, so I have to explain why I am so greedy I need two.

K1W1
09-29-2007, 05:52 AM
It's not working as I had hoped. She has found the Panasonic FZ18 on the web and seems to have fallen for it. Maybe I could offer an 18-200VR with my D50? :(

Esoterra
09-29-2007, 08:04 AM
People post questions like "Why will my five year old pirate copy of Photo Blogger v0.2 not support the brand new latest release Nikon I just purchased and was too cheap to buy the software to take advantage of the cameras capabilities?"

This subject can quickly derail the current topic, but it is one that I am very passionate about. Nikon and other software companies would greatly reduce the ammount of pirated software out there if they weren't so steep with their prices. I know a LOT of pro and semi pro photographers and almost ALL of them use pirated software. Does that make it right, heck no, but when you are given the option to pay $900 for software X or get a cracked copy from a friend, 9/10 times they go for the latter option. Not to mention that if you look hard enough you can find a crack for almost any software (mostly PC) out there within 1 week of the software release. Not everyone falls in this bucket though. I am sure there are a few people out there that would pay $900 for software X just because they have integrity.

TNB
09-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Nikon and other software companies would greatly reduce the ammount of pirated software out there if they weren't so steep with their prices.
Actually, if those who purchase illegal products, along with their circle of friends who indirectly support the black market, quit purchasing pirated software, the amount of pirated software would stop since there would be no demand. A thief is still a thief and the blame should be placed where it belongs, not on a manufacturer. The market usually sets the price. Of course, a higher price may also be incurred to prevent theft and passed on to those who actually purchase the product legally.

Esoterra
09-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Actually, if those who purchase illegal products, along with their circle of friends who indirectly support the black market, quit purchasing pirated software, the amount of pirated software would stop since there would be no demand. A thief is still a thief and the blame should be placed where it belongs, not on a manufacturer. The market usually sets the price. Of course, a higher price may also be incurred to prevent theft and passed on to those who actually purchase the product legally.

Daryll, who said anything about "purchasing" pirated software? You can get it for free and anynone who knowingly buys pirated software is not the sharpest tool in the shed if you get what I mean. The demand is there, and people have access.

jcon
09-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I think Capture NX is priced perfectly. If someone feels the need to pirate software that is only $150(us) then thats on them, not the manufacturer. Its not like Nikon is charging the $900 price you mentioned, like Adobe. Adobe products are the most popularly pirated products on the internet, and thats due to their pricing. I hardly think Nikon would fall into this category with a $150 price tag!

TNB
09-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Daryll, who said anything about "purchasing" pirated software? You can get it for free and anynone who buys pirated software is not the sharpest tool in the shed if you get what I mean. The demand is there, and people have access.
It doesn't matter if pirated software is purchased, bartered for, or obtained for free--it is still "stealing" either directly or indirectly supporting the act itself. After all, someone is paying for R&D and it's not the pirates.

Yes, it may "just" be about integrity, honesty, and morals. Some have it, some don't no matter how one attempts to defend piracy, the support thereof, or "bend" their morals for their own gain when it suits them. If someone will "steal" from a manufacturer, they will probably steal from the person next door if they believe they can get away with it. Myself, I don't need to be around anyone like that since I don't need any DVDs, CDs, or anything else to turn up missing.

And of course, there is demand or the market supply wouldn't be there anyway. The only difference is that some people would rather support the black market. I saw the same crap when I lived overseas--the only difference now is that technology makes it easier and unless it is the theft of some "physical" object, some thieves doen't consider it stealing just like some people don't see obtaining advice from a supposed friend as a service or work from someone whose life income (employment) deals in that specific area. In other words, some don't see "picking someone's brain" as a service, yet they won't pay someone else in that area of expertise. Then there are those people who don't consider "oral sex" sex. My point, is that people "redefine" the meanings of words to suit themselves to help them escape blame.

Ironically, I wonder how many of those so-called photographers who use pirated software would complain if someone else used their image for professional gain? In other words, it also makes me wonder if the companies that developed the software could also come after those people who used pirated software for what they gained as a use of the software as well in addition to other damages. Think about the USD $1M dollar photo....

Myself, I'd rather take photos. Then again, I am not out "stealing" my camera equipment either! Now, it is about time to get ready to pick up photos and take more photos. After all, I need practice for the motorcycle races coming soon. I also won't be using pirated credentials or buying them off of someone else.

fionndruinne
09-29-2007, 01:22 PM
If someone will "steal" from a manufacturer, they will probably steal from the person next door if they believe they can get away with it.

I hardly find that likely. Much of the reason people justify using "cracked" programs is that the software giants who produce them are far removed from the guy next door. The user does not identify with a large corporate entity, thus feels no guilt in taking without paying.

Esoterra
09-29-2007, 01:53 PM
...If someone will "steal" from a manufacturer, they will probably steal from the person next door if they believe they can get away with it.

Daryllll,

Come on now, I know you are not THAT narrow minded to think let alone make such a generalized comment! You are kidding right?

Esoterra
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
I think Capture NX is priced perfectly. If someone feels the need to pirate software that is only $150(us) then thats on them, not the manufacturer. Its not like Nikon is charging the $900 price you mentioned, like Adobe. Adobe products are the most popularly pirated products on the internet, and thats due to their pricing. I hardly think Nikon would fall into this category with a $150 price tag!

I agree with you.

Rooz
09-29-2007, 04:04 PM
well....i'll go a little against the grain here.

if i knew someone who could pirate me a copy of CS2/3 i would have taken them up in a heartbeat rather than fork out the astronomical amount of money for it.

and no...that is not the samed as stealing a CD from someones house. if someone gets a speeding ticket by breaking the law does that mean you have to worry about them breaking into your house ? if you say to your wife, "no dear, your ass does not look big in that dress." does that make you a liar ?

come on now.

XaiLo
09-29-2007, 08:24 PM
One could right a thesis on this subject. An argument could be made and has been made that selling software over the internet, is an infringement of the original premise of the internet. Hence many opensource variants and let's not think that some otherwise affordable software products have not been met by corporate bullying or no long exist due to corporate influence.

For the most part the corporate global structure pays directly for pirated goods and of course that gets trickled down to the consumer. I tell you what I find criminal I have a 200 CD Binder that's full of software that I can't use because of either software or hardware upgrades. Most software companies are spoon feeding needed improvements and upgrades to their products. While laughing all the way to the bank. I treat all my disks with the best of care but due to shody manurfacturing several costly ones cease to work.

It's the old adage of the pot calling the kettle black.

Now any more D3 news?

K1W1
09-29-2007, 11:38 PM
I think that I should go back and edit out the word pirate from my previous post.
The discussion has centred around that word rather than the whole point of the post. :(

TNB
09-30-2007, 12:23 AM
I hardly find that likely. Much of the reason people justify using "cracked" programs is that the software giants who produce them are far removed from the guy next door. The user does not identify with a large corporate entity, thus feels no guilt in taking without paying.
Misguided justification and misplaced guilt still doesn't make it correct, right, or legal.

well....i'll go a little against the grain here.
if i knew someone who could pirate me a copy of CS2/3 i would have taken them up in a heartbeat rather than fork out the astronomical amount of money for it.

and no...that is not the samed as stealing a CD from someones house. if someone gets a speeding ticket by breaking the law does that mean you have to worry about them breaking into your house ? if you say to your wife, "no dear, your ass does not look big in that dress." does that make you a liar ?

come on now.
Quite frankly, I never equating "stealing" with "speeding" and the last I knew, neither did the law. Perhaps, "you" are just missing the $$$ amount that it takes to corrupt certain people--after all, based on the recent posts $150 is not enough though apparently $900 is enough. And the "ass" comment would depend on if she had a fat ass or not and a man's willingness or unwillingness to tell the truth also doesn't necessarily make him a thief. However, I do know people who will also believe that if one lies and cheats, he or she must be a thief as well. Myself, I'd also think that the individual woman must think her own ass is getting bigger or she wouldn't even ask and simply desires some reassurence about her own insecurities and denials.

Daryllll,
Come on now, I know you are not THAT narrow minded to think let alone make such a generalized comment! You are kidding right?

Then again, what about your "generalized comment" below? Tomorrow, I will run into several photographers I know and a few are full-time magazine photographers--perhaps, I'll take my own survey.

I know a LOT of pro and semi pro photographers and almost ALL of them use pirated software. Does that make it right, heck no, but when you are given the option to pay $900 for software X or get a cracked copy from a friend, 9/10 times they go for the latter option.

So how many members are going out and stealling a D3 or trading/bartering for a stolen D3?

Rooz
09-30-2007, 01:56 AM
oh well, each to their own. rest assured we'll never meet so i;m unlikely going to be in a position to steal you CD's. pirated software though i have no problem with, like i originally said, i wish i knew people who had alot of it.

neither do i have problems borrowing friends movies and burning them for myself despite it being "movie piracy"...or taping TV shows or anything like that. is it "wrong" ? yepp. do i care ? nope.

Esoterra
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
I guess I was wrong about you Daryll, you are that narrow minded. That's too bad!

TNB
09-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I guess I was wrong about you Daryll, you are that narrow minded. That's too bad!
It doesn't bother me any since I don't hang out in your so-called circle of friends anyway and don't need to pirate software. However, you can probably recruit a few other members as noted in the previous posts.

Esoterra
09-30-2007, 12:42 PM
It doesn't bother me any since I don't hang out in your so-called circle of friends anyway and don't need to pirate software. However, you can probably recruit a few other members as noted in the previous posts.

Daryll, calm down turbo! You are way too defensive and critically judgemental. If you don't like my responses to your accusations, then dont post. Your strong opinions and tendency to judge everyone from your point of view makes me feel really bad for you. I never said I used pirated software, I just gave my opinion about it. People can have opinions, and agree to disagree! Nothing wrong with that. I think we have beat up this topic enough.

Anyone else have more news on the D3??

e_dawg
09-30-2007, 01:41 PM
if you say to your wife, "no dear, your ass does not look big in that dress." does that make you a liar ?

Yes, it does. But also a smart and happy man ;)