PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Night Soccer event photos

yewsef
09-23-2007, 01:15 AM
I went to take photos of a soccer game at night, using my D70s and its kit lens (18-70mm) I've tried all the tricks I know to make my photos look good but all of them were almost identical. No matter how hard I adjust the ISO, aperture, shutterspeed, or EV I almost always get the same exposure (under exposed). I used spot, center weighted and matrix metering. No big difference. The flash was slightly better but I didnt want to use flash.

All the photos were blurry, a guy with a point and shoot camera took a MUCH better photos than I did which really made me feel and look.... stupid?

I know my equipment aren't ready for such event, but at least I'd expect OK results. So, was I a bad photographer or is it normal to take such blurry and dark photos without flash using that lens and a D70s?

Do you think a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR could have made my photos look much better? or was the flaw from my side and I need to learn more?

Note: I used aperture priority and shutter speed priority. I didn't want to go Manual sense I'm not used to it yet and since the soccer game was a live event I didnt have time for trial and error. I will link a sample of my photos when I get home, although they look embarassing :(

K1W1
09-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Do you think a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR could have made my photos look much better? or was the flaw from my side and I need to learn more?(

Yes and probably yes.
What you really need to do is post some example along with the Exif data so people can attempt to offer constructive criticism.

rawpaw18
09-23-2007, 04:59 AM
Without seeing your shots, based on your kit you should of used your 50 1.8 instaed of the 18-70. Give yourself more available light to keep your shutter speed up. Posting a couple of shots, as mentioned, with exif would be helpful, do not worry about what they look like, the only way to help you is to know what you did. Night time sports are very tough.

tcadwall
09-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Already good advice. The only thing I can add, is that you don't really know what the P&S did. If you are looking at the lcd then you have no idea how much noise is really in the shot.

As mentioned the Exif is really needed to help you out here. But as a guidline, adventure into the "Manual" exposure for this. First bump your ISO to somewhere around 1000 (assuming it is pretty dark for a ccd), set your aperture to minimum, set your shutter speed to around 1/250th. If you are still greatly underexposed bump your iso more. The real difference between using aperture priority and manual in this case is that you can fully control the shutter speed and the ISO setting without the camera trying to make the compromise.

While you may be able to get marginally better shots with your current kit. You will really need to get faster glass if this type of shooting is a priority.