PDA

View Full Version : D40 Beginner Question

tonay
09-22-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm sure this is a "doh" question but why would the camera not let me take a pic if the autofocus lines up and the flash "pre" fires?

fionndruinne
09-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Not sure what you're asking. The flash is pre-firing why? Is it in a flash mode other than "slow" or normal?

colemanr
09-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I suspect that you're talking about the autofocus assist light, not the flash, right? If you have the autofocus mode set to AF-A or AF-S, the camera won't take a picture if it doesn't think the subject is in focus. Using AF-C will take pictures regardless of whether the subject is in focus.

The focus dot in the viewfinder can be used as a guideline for manual focus, but doesn't necessarily guarantee that the camera has "locked" focus (if that makes sense).

Rob

K1W1
09-23-2007, 12:58 AM
The focus assist LED only has a range of 9-10 feet (3 metres) so even though it might be lighting up if the subject is further away than that it will not have any affect so the camera will not achieve focus lock as described above.

tonay
09-23-2007, 06:14 AM
That is it. Thanks.

domenic
09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi,
Can anyone please suggest suitable types/models for the following equipment relative to the D40.All within a a reasonable price range?

Lens Hood

ND Filter

Tripod

Kind Regards

Dom

fionndruinne
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
There is a lens hood specifically made by Nikon for the D40 kit lens; I'm thinking that will be the only option, too. As for filters, there are lots of options, some better than others (price will usually scale up along with quality), and as far as tripods, it really depends on your specific needs.