PDA

View Full Version : New Nikon software for sharing images??

cvicisso
09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I might actually be going crazy... maybe someone can help? A few days ago, I was reading about a new Nikon software program for sharing images with family and friends. It was an application that you load on your computer locally (each user does this), and did not require web browsers or email to exchange/share pictures. It was definitely geared for the novice - but would be ideal for pushing images to some folks I know.

The idea is that the images get pushed/pulled in the background based on your choices of who you want to share specific pictures with - all that is needed is an internet connection and the software being loaded/active on each end. It was Mac and PC compatible. When your computer is 'online' (and that usually means 'all the time' now for most high-bandwidth cable/DSL users), the software does its thing automatically and you don't have to send emails or tell people to check your website, remind them of addresses or whatever. The pictures just show up in the appropriate folders. Pretty slick.

Anyway, I can't for the life of me find it online anywhere now!! It is NOT Nikon's MyPicturetown (which you access via web browser). It was something else. It's not listed on NikonUSA's imaging software site.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

rawpaw18
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Nikon View NX is the latest program from Nikon, I have no idea if
it does what you are referring too. I am guessing not:confused:

cvicisso
09-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Nikon View NX is the latest program from Nikon, I have no idea if
it does what you are referring too. I am guessing not:confused:Nope. I've got ViewNX and you're right - that's not it. Thanks anyway!

K1W1
09-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I've never heard of anything like this and I actually can't imagine Nikon being involved with a product of this nature.
Nikon from past experience are not the most technologically savvy company as far as software implementation is concerned.
What you have suggested is effectively a peer to peer network arrangement similar in nature to Limewire and other music / file sharing programs. For a company to market or distribute a program like this opens them up to all sorts of potential problems as far as hacking are concerned and it just does not seem to be the sort of area Nikon play in.

jcon
09-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I am not familiar with the software you are describing but in order for people to access your computer(which in essence is what you are describing) you need to have an open port for access. You can either do it locally so only those on a local network can access them, or you can do it on the internet so anyone can access it, but that involves giving out your IP address.

What I do is use WWWFileSharePro for sharing photos and documents with family. If you have a router for a local network, its quite easy to open up a port on the router.

I know this isnt very helpful as to what software you are looking for from Nikon, but thought I would give a little more light on what it would entale for you to acomplish this.

StuartN
09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
The software package is available here:
http://www.nikonnet.com/share.html
and it allows you to create and share albums with friends and family. If you use PictureProject that came bundled with camera(ver 1.5 or higher), it's already installed. Just choose the "share" button to open.

It is a bit limited as you can only transfer 50MB per week. It's probably more suited for people that aren't as adept using a computer as others may be.

It still may suit if you want to share the odd pic with friends now and again.

Stuart

K1W1
09-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Interesting.
It's not strictly speaking a file sharing app because the images are uploaded to a Nikon Server where they are stored for two weeks then apparently deleted. I'm not sure that it offers any real benefits over web hosted photo sites other than the ease of use. I guess that's what Nikon are aimng at.

rawpaw18
09-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Now we know. Thanks Stuart!

cvicisso
09-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks Stuart!! Wow, I really started to think I was imagining things. Whew! :D

cvicisso
09-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Interesting.
It's not strictly speaking a file sharing app because the images are uploaded to a Nikon Server where they are stored for two weeks then apparently deleted. I'm not sure that it offers any real benefits over web hosted photo sites other than the ease of use. I guess that's what Nikon are aimng at.The real feature that I was looking for was the pseudo-auto-synchronization between my computer and select family and friends. The images I choose get automatically pushed to whomever I want, and I don't need to worry about email attachments, freaks looking at my kid on the web, or reminding people of web addresses or passwords. When my parents sit down at their computer, they already have the newest pics of their grandson waiting for them. They don't have to do anything except the initial software install - which I can guide them through.

Not sure if I'll use it yet - but it's nice to know that I'm not going crazy! :D Well, at least I don't think I am... Because, after all, just because you're paranoid - it doesn't mean that someone's not trying to kill you! ;)

K1W1
09-21-2007, 04:20 PM
The real feature that I was looking for was the pseudo-auto-synchronization between my computer and select family and friends.

It does seem to do that. Let us know how it works.