PDA

View Full Version : How to take night photo

Raven
09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I've got a Nikon D50 with the standard 18-55 lens. The other night I went out to shoot some pics of the Northern Lights in northern Canada. They were stunning.

I set up using a tripod. Aimed it at the sky. But nothing I did could make the shutter work. I wanted to hold the shutter down using a cable for various seconds to get the best result as the lights dance across the sky. I tired different modes - A, P,S,M. But nothing worked. When I aimed the camera at the car lights, the shutter clicked! So, I'm guessing it has something to do with the lack of light.

How do you take a time exposure at night?
Thanks for your advice. I'm ready to try it again!

r3g
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
For long time exposures you would put your camera in Manual mode and use a very slow shutter speed like 30 seconds or so. Your aperture can be set to different levels which will require you to change your shutter to make sure you get nice exposure. Try 30seconds shutter, F8 to F11 and go from there. With low shutter speeds you dont have to hold the shutter button down ;)

K1W1
09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
What Reggie said plus one important thing.

The reason the shutter would not work is because the camera would probably have been unable to get focus lock. Set the camera to manual focus.

Raven
09-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for that!

Gintaras
09-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Raven, i think your problem has to do with autofocus. when you use a wire to trigger shutter the camera also needs to focus and when it sees the dark sky it has a problem focusing to infinity. and if camera cannot focus then shutter is not possible, it simply does not go off... so i suggest you need to pre-focus on something and then recompose. :confused:

K1W1
09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Raven, i think your problem has to do with autofocus. when you use a wire to trigger shutter the camera also needs to focus and when it sees the dark sky it has a problem focusing to infinity. and if camera cannot focus then shutter is not possible, it simply does not go off... so i suggest you need to pre-focus on something and then recompose. :confused:

And how does this advice differ from what i said two posts above yours? Is it a Canon owners trait to consistently fail to read an understand all posts in a thread before replying?

EDIT:
There are imaginary happy faces at the end of my post that I forgot at the time of posting. This will ensure that people who read this post understand that it was posted in a light hearted way and was not intended to upset any people regardless of what brand of camera they use or whether they can read post threads fully or not. The point is not the camera used by why double post an answer that is exactly the same as a previous reply without adding any new information.

jcon
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I was wondering the same thing, but since it wasnt my post I figured i'd better let you handle it;)

fionndruinne
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Gee, folks, let's not get all snippy. I see multiple same answers like these all the time on the site.

Honest Gaza
09-19-2007, 11:22 PM
And how does this advice differ from what i said two posts above yours? Is it a Canon owners trait to consistently fail to read an understand all posts in a thread before replying?

Take it easy K1W1.....perhaps an honest mistake ?

Something that owners of all camera types are susceptible to do.

fionndruinne
09-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I can understand getting a little annoyed by people posting the same advice over again, but the Canon remark is a little much.

jcon
09-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I may be wrong but I took the Canon remark as sort of "tongue-in-cheek". If you look closely, youll see that takes place here alot.

I think this place could use some lighthearded fun. I am not in the business of speeking for other ppl, but I think this critisism of K1W1 is a tad over done here. Just my thoughts.:)

Gintaras
09-20-2007, 01:28 AM
kiwi, no problem. i simply overlooked your post, probably i need better reading glasses.:D

r3g
09-20-2007, 01:44 AM
What a day we live in when people cant pull each others chain without a disclaimer at the end to avoid an all out flamefest :D

Gintaras
09-20-2007, 03:49 AM
What a day we live in when people cant pull each others chain without a disclaimer at the end to avoid an all out flamefest :D

yes, in the world full of stress people often overreact. my thick skin is probably better fit for staying calm, consider i work in finance where every day is a big stress and no apologies are delivered :D