PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebates Effect on D80

Jalva22
09-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Anyone expect the fall Canon rebates, which will almost certainly include the 30D, to push the D80's price down? I've settled on purchasing the D80 but am very willing to wait one month for the prospect of a $100 price break. Or will some of the current sub-$1,000 price point at places like Beach for the 30D just be adjusted upward to compensate?

erichlund
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Anyone expect the fall Canon rebates, which will almost certainly include the 30D, to push the D80's price down? I've settled on purchasing the D80 but am very willing to wait one month for the prospect of a $100 price break. Or will some of the current sub-$1,000 price point at places like Beach for the 30D just be adjusted upward to compensate?

I seriously doubt Canon will give you a rebate for buying a Nikon camera, but you can try. :rolleyes:

Nikon and Canon have a pretty well established history of not chasing each others rebates. Pricing and price changes, yes. Rebates no. Also, remember, if you buy from the cheapest dealer, you will get the cheapest service if problems do occur.

Jalva22
09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I seriously doubt Canon will give you a rebate for buying a Nikon camera, but you can try. :rolleyes:

Nikon and Canon have a pretty well established history of not chasing each others rebates. Pricing and price changes, yes. Rebates no. Also, remember, if you buy from the cheapest dealer, you will get the cheapest service if problems do occur.

I think you were kidding, but just in case, no I wasn't expecting to use a Canon rebate to buy a Nikon camera.

On the cheapest dealer thing, I agree. However, the current $999 price point on the 30D is also available from B&H and Norman Camera. Both very reputable dealers who I would not hesitate to buy from. That already compares very well with the $880 or so a D80 will cost, given the difference in features and build. Not saying the 30D is a better camera, but a first time buyer could easily be persuaded that's the case.

But the market is not all first time DSLR buyers, so I suppose you're right that Nikon could afford to ignore the effective Canon mark-down and maintain the D80's price point.

K1W1
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
There is absolutely no need for Nikon to rebate the D80. Sales of the D80 will increase soon when people go to stores to buy D300s and find that they either can't afford one or can't get one and the D80's are available ex stock. :)

rawpaw18
09-18-2007, 04:17 AM
If you do not mind the wait you may want to see the Nikon list
of rebates when it comes out. Sometimes certain cameras may not
have their own rebate but count toward increasing your rebates on
other gear, such as lenses and flashes.
It may give you double or triple rebates with the purchase of other gear.

Tony_V
09-21-2007, 05:46 AM
If you do not mind the wait you may want to see the Nikon list
of rebates when it comes out. Sometimes certain cameras may not
have their own rebate but count toward increasing your rebates on
other gear, such as lenses and flashes.
It may give you double or triple rebates with the purchase of other gear.

When do the Nikon rebates generally start? I got my D80 last December and remember seeing them available then.

rawpaw18
09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Last year it was October 26th - January 28th