PDA

View Full Version : lenses...One more time!!!

anco85
09-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I know that this question is getting really old, really fast, esspecially with D-SLR's dropping in price so rapidly.

I've decided awhile ago that Ill be waiting on the d300 and picking that up as my first slr body, but after thinking about it, its way more camera than I need. So I've made up my mind and Ill be picking up a d40 within the next 2 months and Ill use the difference in price to pick up one or 2 lenses.

Now comes the fun part. Budget would be the difference between the price of the D300 and D40 at most for now.

Type of photography I do is mostly automotive shoots, occasional race and event coverage (candid shots)

Candid shots will be low light, but a sb800 should take care of that problem.

What I believe I would need, would be pretty wide and medarte zoom.

AF would be nice but not required for my automotive shoots. Candid shots the
kitty will suffice as the shots are resized and hosted on the net.

For racing? I dont know what I need, I often find myself at the end of the S3's telephoto but, Im not sure how long its reach is.

Macro: Ive got the S3 for that, but it would be nice to have a lens to cater for the odd macro shot.

Heres some examples of my day to day photography

http://www.namlish.com/images/stories/Ricky/top.jpg
For these shots Id like a wide angle for interior shots, but also get nice and close for detail shots

http://www.namlish.com/components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/London_Opening9_20070812_1585388662.jpg
For these types of shots I believe the kitty + sb800 should do. i dont want to use expensive glass in clubs as They would probablly get damaged

And then the odd race shoot and macro shot and a portraite shot here and there.

You can also have a look at my flickr page to get more or less an idea of what i like to shoot.

thanx in advance

Anco

Rooz
09-17-2007, 05:02 AM
the s3 has a 35mm equiv focal range of 35-432mm. the nikon d40 has a 1.5x crop sensor so just multiply any lens focal length by 1.5 to get a decent enuf comparison o your s3.

alternative to the kit lens:
sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM (27-75mm). which also gives you a wider angle than the s3, much better low light performance than the kit lens and very sharp. the sb800 and kit should have you covered though.

fast AF telephoto options:
sigma 50-150mm f2.8 HSM (75-225mm) $680
sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM (105-300mm) $880

cheaper AF telephoto options:
nikkor 55-200mm VR (83-300mm) $250
nikkor 70-300mm VR (105-450mm) $480

if MF doesn't bother you then the 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8 are good options for portrait style photos. alternatively theres the 30mm sigma which will AF on the d40.

anco85
09-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanx for the reply rooz

MF isnt a problem for the automotive shoots, but for portraite and candid shots, Id rather have AF.

So if I get the nikkor 55-200mm VR and SB800 I should be good? That still leaves me with some extra dosh. Any suggestions?

coldrain
09-17-2007, 06:12 AM
You say you often find yourself using the full tele zoom of the S3 IS...
That is 432mm or so.

You rather look at the Nikon 70-300 VR, that one will give you about the same tele reach (450mm).

And just get the SB600, that one should do fine for your uses and you will be able to put more money towards that 70-300 VR.

Rooz
09-17-2007, 06:13 AM
if you have extra money then buy the 50-150 or 70-200 sigma's rather than the 55-200. the eternal rule of dslr is to buy less lens' but of better quality.

alternately...bank the money into your "future lens" fund.

anco85
09-17-2007, 06:27 AM
My budget would be about $1200 after I buy my flash so I can try and pick up the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM if I can find it locally or the Nikon 70-300 VR. Would I need another lens for closer shots? Sort of like an everyday lens for this and thats?

What are the differences between the SB800 and SB600 Coldy?

cvicisso
09-17-2007, 06:33 AM
As you mentioned, there's a substantial cost difference between the D300 and D40...and many fine cameras that fall within that range.

i dont want to use expensive glass in clubs as They would probablly get damaged

All the lenses designed to work on the D40 have the autofocus motor in the lens (Nikkor 'AF-S' or Sigma 'HSM'). Feature for feature, these are [rightfully] more expensive than the screw-drive lenses that work on ALL OTHER NIKON DSLR BODIES (not the D40/X), and they represent a SMALL FRACTION of the Nikon-mount lenses available. For example, the only 'prime' lens that will autofocus on the D40/X right now is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (which does sound like a great lens).

Since your two choices are so different (D300 and D40), have you considered other Nikon bodies that fall within that range? You can get a used D70 for about the price of a new D40 (I just bought one), and would have the entire Nikkor aresenal from the last few decades at your disposal.

K1W1
09-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Everybody is concentrating at the long end but both sample photos in the OP would benefit from a better wide angle rather than a tele zoom.
I know the Canon starts at 35 and that a kit 18-55 is the equivalent of 27 but I think I would rather be spending excess money on a nice Tokina or Sigma 10-20 or 12-24 especially for the club shots where you often can't step back very far and for any close up or interior car shots.

anco85
09-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Ive been over this time and time again. While I could get a host of other cameras for that price, Ive decided against it.

I dont need anything more than what the D40 offers and from what Ive read, its a great little camera.

By the time that I would want to get a maltitude of new lenses, Sigma would have already brought out quite a range of AF lenses for the d40

Im just looking for some good lenses that suite my needs, fit the d40 AND within $1200 :)

anco85
09-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I think I shouldve been more clear on the telephoto part of my OP.

let me rephrase :D "I often find myself at the telephoto end of the s3 at races This isnt very often though and working for the "media" I do can get "inside track" privelages. In other words, reach would be nice and convenient, but not essential

Rooz
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM
both sigmas will outperform the 2 cheaper nikkors easily. if you have the money then buy them. you can go for the sb600 as coldy mentioned savbing you a little more. the sb800 has more power, can act as a wireless commander, has a 5th battery slot and has a few extras like built in bounce card and stofen-like diffuser. both work fine. i have one of each and don't really care which one i use.

everyday lens is your kit lens i thought ?? alternately the sigma 18-50mm.

anco85
09-17-2007, 07:31 AM
No no. The kit lens Ill use for the club photography as thats my job, but for everday photography for myself, I would like something a tad better.

Can the Sb600 be used wirelessly?

Rooz
09-17-2007, 07:43 AM
No no. The kit lens Ill use for the club photography as thats my job, but for everday photography for myself, I would like something a tad better.

Can the Sb600 be used wirelessly?

then the sigma i mentioned is your best option. there is the sigma 17-70mm HSM coming aswell but it is not as good. not sure why you would bother with 2 exact same focal length lens'. seems a waste of money to me. i;d sell the kit lens or buy it body only with either sigma. so $500 on the 18-50 and $700 on the telephoto...there goes your budget. :D

the sb600 cannot be used wirelessly on a d40. you need to have a camera body that can act as a wireless flash commander.

EDIT: sorry i just understood what you meant about the lens and your job. probably not a bad idea then i suppose if you think it could be damaged.

anco85
09-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Ok. Im getting really confused here :D

I think what Ill try and do is get the telephoto as suggested and keep the kitty. When that gets damaged/lost/stolen, Ill have some cash to buy the 18-50. If that gets damaged, the b*stards will buy me a new one :D

cvicisso
09-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Ive been over this time and time again. While I could get a host of other cameras for that price, Ive decided against it.

I dont need anything more than what the D40 offers and from what Ive read, its a great little camera.Fair enough - I think you'll love the D40 (seriously). I've never heard any complaints about it except for people wanting a wider choice of lenses. The way I read your post, it seemed like lens choice will be a big factor in your purchase - as you will need different lenses, at varying price points to do much, much different tasks.

By the time that I would want to get a maltitude of new lenses, Sigma would have already brought out quite a range of AF lenses for the d40That's probably a safe assumption if you don't daydream/wish as much as me :D - Sigma seems to be fully onboard with the Nikon-mount HSM lens push - and we're starting to see OS (stabilization) now too! That's awesome.

Im just looking for some good lenses that suite my needs, fit the d40 AND within $1200 :)If you had said, "I'm just looking for some good lenses that suit my needs, fit the D-anything-but-D40, AND be within $1200" you would have more choices, and could get more lenses - that was my only [humble] point.

I respect your decision and I know that you'll enjoy your D40. Good luck!

coldrain
09-17-2007, 08:30 AM
If you do not need the extra reach, and will not miss the VR, that your S3 IS offers you, then the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG Macro HSM is a lovely but heavy lens to get. Do test the weight of one of these 70-200 f2.8 lenses out first, though.

The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro is a good lens, especially for its very affordable price. With the new HSM motor version fro the D40, it is a good choice.

You can not use the SB800 "wirelessly" on a D40 as far as I know. Why you would want that I am also not clear about. With just one flash unit, you will do fine with an SB600. When in future you want to get a 2nd one, you can always go for an SB800 as second unit.

jcon
09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
You can not use the SB800 "wirelessly" on a D40 as far as I know. Why you would want that I am also not clear about.

:confused: Really? You see no reason to use "one" speedlight off camera? Thats rediculous Coldy, really!:confused:

Jason25
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
:confused: Really? You see no reason to use "one" speedlight off camera? Thats rediculous Coldy, really!:confused:

It's an excellent feature to have! I use it all the time, and it works beautifully with my solo SB-600.

coldrain
09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I do not believe this was about you, but about the OP. And the OP was not talking about a studio setup.

Maybe you can see yourself going through clubs with some setup where the flash is not mounted on the camera... but I can't. So read my posts with the situation in mind, not as general ideas!

The same with my remark about a 70-200 f2.8! Weight can be an issue if you just want to take your camera along all day. That is why I mentioned the weight in particular to this poster. To try it out first before making a tele lens decision.

jcon
09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I will not get into a debate with you as it will prove pointless as many over here know, but the OP isnt soley shooting in clubs, the OP also has "personal" use for his/her camera. The OP also asked if the SB-600 could be used wirelessly, so obvious, there is some interest.

So if YOU are "unclear" about why the OP would want a wireless feature... does it matter?

Wireless Flash is a great option and myself, and many others here like using it for different lighting set-ups.

wh0128
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
You'll love the D40. Alot of people have it on these forums and I've heard nothing but good feedback from the people that do.

Like someone else said previously, a used or refurbished D70 or D50 (which I have) would out perform the D40 in the lens situation.

I also have the 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor and I know the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 would do you a mighty fine job at those races.

Go for the Sb600 to start out which will give you some unique lighting styles, then get the SB800 to have as an onboard flash and to control the SB600 wirelessly if needed for some of those automotive shots or portraits.

You'll have fun with your new camera.

anco85
09-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanx for all the advice guys.

This is turning into out and out brawl, so I'll try and end it right here.

1. I would like to use only one flash wirelessly in some situations. Living in Africa, makes for some really harsh sunlight and I ussually end up shooting at either dusk or dawn. When doing automotive photography though, I end up getting shadows or really dark areas on the car at the opposite end of what Im shooting. With some detail shots, I also dont want flash from the front, but maybe from the top or side or where ever, so 1 standalone wireless flash would help a ton. I guess if it cant be done though, then its no biggie. I managed without flash on the s3, I suppose Ill be okay on the d40

2. The 70-200 vr lens sounds like a great lens, Ill feel it up in-store and see if I would be able to use it in my situations due to the weight.

3. Ill use the kitty plus the sb600 for my club shooting and wal around lens till I can afford a proper walk around lens

Any objections?

Rooz
09-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanx for all the advice guys.

This is turning into out and out brawl, so I'll try and end it right here.

1. I would like to use only one flash wirelessly in some situations. Living in Africa, makes for some really harsh sunlight and I ussually end up shooting at either dusk or dawn. When doing automotive photography though, I end up getting shadows or really dark areas on the car at the opposite end of what Im shooting. With some detail shots, I also dont want flash from the front, but maybe from the top or side or where ever, so 1 standalone wireless flash would help a ton. I guess if it cant be done though, then its no biggie. I managed without flash on the s3, I suppose Ill be okay on the d40

2. The 70-200 vr lens sounds like a great lens, Ill feel it up in-store and see if I would be able to use it in my situations due to the weight.

3. Ill use the kitty plus the sb600 for my club shooting and wal around lens till I can afford a proper walk around lens

Any objections?

the 70-200 f2.8 we have been talking about is the sigma HSM version, not the nikkor 70-200VR. the nikkor version is more than double the price of the sigma and well outside your budget.

K1W1
09-18-2007, 01:02 AM
the nikkor version is more than double the price of the sigma and well outside your budget.

And seems to be unavailable in many places at the moment prompting some discussion on forums that it's either about to be updated (not sure how Nikon would do that) or Nikons lens making capacity is fully committed to other products at the moment (more likely).

anco85
09-18-2007, 03:03 AM
oh ok. How much is the nikkor version? I ask because sigma's are really hard to find in Namibia unless you import. :mad:

Rooz
09-18-2007, 04:08 AM
oh ok. How much is the nikkor version? I ask because sigma's are really hard to find in Namibia unless you import. :mad:

around $1600USD if you can find one.

anco85
09-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Cough, $1600, Cough

And the sigma is up there with the Nikkor conserning IQ and build?

Rooz
09-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Cough, $1600, Cough

And the sigma is up there with the Nikkor conserning IQ and build?

no on both counts.

anco85
09-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Bummer. So the question. Get the sigma now or save up and get the nikkor?

Rooz
09-18-2007, 06:32 AM
both sigma telephoto's are good lens'. they are both sharp and built very well, just not up to the same standard understandabley. the nikkor's price is always gonna be top end, it's in very high demand and it will always be double the sigma price.

you could ask the same kind of question about the sigma 18-50mm f2.8...why not get the nikkor 17-55 f2.8 which is around $1300USD, (and also in short supply i may add). it comes down to how much you are going to use it, what you are using it for and if you have the money. there are always gonna be better lens' out there.

anco85
09-18-2007, 06:50 AM
I get what your saying. I guess what It comes down to for me is what I can find over here. So far the only lens I could find to fit Nikon mounts was the 70-200 non vr nikkor for roughly $200