PDA

View Full Version : D3 & D300 Sample Images

XaiLo
09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
D3 Samples

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/img/pic_001b.jpg

Photographer: Shinichi Nagashima

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/img/pic_002b.jpg

Photographer: Shinichi Nagashima

D300 Samples
http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/img/pic_002b.jpg

Photographer: Ryo Tanaka

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/img/pic_001b.jpg

Photographer: Ryo Tanaka

Have you guys seen these??? from Nikon...

I'd like to say say say... this day, I am officially speechless. :eek:(eyes popping for effect only, not sentiment) You be the judge!:cool:

r3g
09-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh gagville a Harely!!

oh ya nice IQ :]

fionndruinne
09-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Almost enough to get me... swearing profusely!

Mo chrėdhe 's anam! Those are some fine-looking photos. The way the D3 handles shadows is just breathtaking.

rawpaw18
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Seen these before, in regards to the D300
ISO 200, JPEG and all that bluecast, not much to go on.

Show me controlled and coparison shots at 1600, 3200 and 6400
in raw and full colors with shadows for better examples. All I can find
are the ones that look like they were taken at a camera show on the sly.

XaiLo
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Agreed... that darn time thing.:(

JerrfyLube
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Nice pictures...but hardly something id get all worked up for...

fionndruinne
09-14-2007, 10:21 PM
We can get a little caught-up in high ISOs and such... still it's good to remember (a la the D200's popularity) that getting a superior low-ISO shot is something that one can really work with.

Interestingly, in the expanded EXIF, it appears the D300 used was rather new, only had a couple hundred exposures on it. The D3, though, was numbering in the mid 6000's, so it has been put through its paces.

K1W1
09-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Why have people gotten so carried away wanting to see sample D3 and D300 images from Nikon?
Does anybody seriously thing Nikon will post anything other than perfect images on their web site to promote these cameras?

I've seen images in the POTD thread that I consider to be way better photos than any of the so called samples and those photos were usually taken by amateurs using consumer level equipment.

As I have said several time previously I'm waiting until I see real world photos taken by real world photographers until I make any decisions one way or the other. Anything I see on a Manufacturers web site I treat and advertising no more, no less.

Rooz
09-15-2007, 06:09 AM
samples ? yes please.
from nikon ? no thanks.

i'll be even more frank. i am positive the IQ of the d300 will be better than the d200. so what i really want to know is not so much about IQ cos i take that as a given. i also expect the iso to be good but not necessarily great. that doesn't concern me a bit. as long as iso 1600 is useable, that'll do me just fine thanks.

what i am most interested in is the new AF, metering and tripod mode live view. if they work, i'm in. if they don't i'm not.

the obsession with hi iso from users is astonishingly scary. if the iso performance at 3200 is stunning but the AF and metering systems are average then as far as i'm concerned its a massive step backwards.

K1W1
09-15-2007, 06:18 AM
We are so much in agreement it's getting scary. :confused::confused:

jcon
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
the obsession with hi iso from users is astonishingly scary. if the iso performance at 3200 is stunning but the AF and metering systems are average then as far as i'm concerned its a massive step backwards.

I can only speak for myself, but I would assume the others with the "obsession" of high ISO performance are wanting the ISO performance due to what they primarily shoot, and for me, that is low light weddings where high ISO is pretty much a must. So to me, I need the clean high ISO performance, and right now, there isnt a Nikon on the street that can offer ME acceptable ISO performance. So if the D3(and maybe the D300) offer substantial increases in ISO performance, I am all for it.

erichlund
09-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I would assume the others with the "obsession" of high ISO performance are wanting the ISO performance due to what they primarily shoot, and for me, that is low light weddings where high ISO is pretty much a must. So to me, I need the clean high ISO performance, and right now, there isnt a Nikon on the street that can offer ME acceptable ISO performance. So if the D3(and maybe the D300) offer substantial increases in ISO performance, I am all for it.

OK, if what you say is true, they why are you shooting Nikon? I understand handling and all that, but if what you really need is high ISO performance, then up to now, the king of high ISO has to be those guys with the L glass. I shoot Nikon because I like the image quality I get and I like the handling of the cameras. But I don't have your requirement for high ISO.

As for why people want to see images from Nikon...well...that's mostly all they are going to see until the camera is released. I wouldn't be all that surprised to find out that those few images that have escaped were not so much by stealth, but by Nikon choosing to look the other way for just a few. Nikon's clearly demonstrated that when they don't want photos to get away, they do know how to prevent it.

Actually, I have two other reasons. One, we want to see if Nikon is finally going to shut up the "dark side" so to speak. And lastly, photos are what a camera does. We want to see what it can do. Hardware features are all nice, but can it produce?

As for the quality of the photos, we have to realize there are cultural differences. What may appear a cool photo to you or I, may not be what is considered a cool photo in Japan. I've walked down the street in Japan (many, many times). It's a very different place. They have definite different ideas about the use of space and color. That's not a bad thing.

As for the Harley's, if you saw those same photos in a themed ad for Harley Davidson, I don't think you would give them a second thought.

In the D3 photo's, I'm not sure why XaiLo only listed the two. The link I provided in another thread (here (http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/sample.htm)) has four other photos, two of which do give a hint of the D3s high ISO capability, one being taken at 3200 and the other at 6400. Of course, if you're looking for photos that will show the limits of what the camera can do (by getting to the point where the warts become visible), you really cannot expect Nikon to do that. They're in the business of selling camera's, not establishing limits.

jcon
09-15-2007, 02:18 PM
OK, if what you say is true, they why are you shooting Nikon? I understand handling and all that, but if what you really need is high ISO performance, then up to now, the king of high ISO has to be those guys with the L glass. I shoot Nikon because I like the image quality I get and I like the handling of the cameras. But I don't have your requirement for high ISO.

I didnt just purchase Nikon this morning. I did so years ago, and back then I didnt have the mindset of becoming a professional photographer. That decision came last year when I tore my rotator cuff and wouldnt be able to work a "normal" job again. By that time, I had come to prefer the image quality of Nikon compared to Canon, and Nikon has the better speedlights. Also, from speaking with other pro photogs in my area, and from own personal experience, Nikon seems to have the better customer service.

So I have waited to see improvements in what I personally need, which is ISO. If most, or even all of you dont need the ISO, good for you, but I do and that is what I will be making MY judgement on.

If any of you think I am going about it wrong, feel free to pay for my next camera!:rolleyes:

Rooz
09-15-2007, 05:04 PM
j i totally understand your position and i accept the fact that for you hi iso is important, however...imo it cannot be at the expense of other key features. besides which...even for wedding photographers, a wedding is a full day/ night and really the hi iso's are ceremony focussed so its only one small part of the entire wedding. my wedding photographer who is a good friend of mine shot my whole wedding on film and it turned out magnificently without the need for iso 3200.

for the D3 i certianly understand the hi iso value for sports, PJ's and other pro's but really at the end of the day iso6400 means squat if you can;t get the thing to meter and focus right. w/ regard to the d300, it's rare for a camera to be all things to all people or have everything work perfrectly so my hope from a purely selfish POV is that the more important photography tools got the major focus rather than the hi-iso hype.

erichlund
09-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, obviously, there's nothing wrong with using better equipment as it becomes available. But you might also look into techniques used by Sam Stern (www.samjsternphotography.com). He's a wedding photographer in the Philadelphia area and specializes in using mostly natural light for his events. He can be found quite often over on the DPReview Nikon forums.

jcon
09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
j i totally understand your position and i accept the fact that for you hi iso is important, however...imo it cannot be at the expense of other key features. besides which...even for wedding photographers, a wedding is a full day/ night and really the hi iso's are ceremony focussed so its only one small part of the entire wedding. my wedding photographer who is a good friend of mine shot my whole wedding on film and it turned out magnificently without the need for iso 3200.

for the D3 i certianly understand the hi iso value for sports, PJ's and other pro's but really at the end of the day iso6400 means squat if you can;t get the thing to meter and focus right. w/ regard to the d300, it's rare for a camera to be all things to all people or have everything work perfrectly so my hope from a purely selfish POV is that the more important photography tools got the major focus rather than the hi-iso hype.

I agree! ISO isnt the ONLY feature/factor, just the main one(for me). I am pleased with the focus system on the D200, so I dont forsee the D3/D300 taking steps backwards. There is another feature the D3 offers that I dont see many ppl mentioning, and thats the dual memory card slots, to me thats an awesome feature!

I also understand and respect your opinions and wants in a camera! I think in the end, we both want the same thing.. a camera we both will be happy with!:D;)

achuang
09-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm with Rooz and K1W1 on this too, as long as the D300 has a good ISO 1600 and 3200 that'd be enough for me. The new 51 point AF system is more important to me than the high ISO performance.

XaiLo
09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Granted everyone may not have low light requirements, but to those that do it makes a world of difference. Personally I want Nikon to deliver on every point. Not looking forward to half a solution. Surely Nikon will not except half price offers and niether should we as consumers. We're all intelligent enough to know different facets of photography have varied requirements. And I'm sure everyone wants their needs addressed at least I do. Sometimes you've just got move out on faith. So while I could be conjuring up imagery of doom, I'm looking forward to owning one of the most advanced digital cameras to date. I know the the proof is in the pudding, but I like Nikons track record as of late. So for the time being I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

XaiLo
09-16-2007, 05:03 AM
erichlund, those were direct links from another site I never explored nikon imageing. So I was unaware that there were any more. I just came accross some pics that I thought it would be nice to share, nothing more nothing less.

Rooz
09-16-2007, 05:17 AM
I am pleased with the focus system on the D200, so I dont forsee the D3/D300 taking steps backwards.

given its a brand new AF system i don;t think it's 100% certain. they didn;t just add points remember, this is a totally new design and the D3/ D300 are the first nikon cameras to have it.

K1W1
09-16-2007, 05:37 AM
this is a totally new design and the D3/ D300 are the first nikon cameras to have it.

I hope D3/D300 doesn't translate to Edsel in Japanese. :)