PDA

View Full Version : 50mm f1.8 question

SUITEFREAK
09-14-2007, 02:18 AM
Hi all,
I'm totally new to the world of dslr and Nikon. I'm sure if I read through the whole manual and the entire d80 digital field guide I'll eventually find the answers to my question, but I want to get started shooting now. So please help me.
I am trying to use my Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens, however, in AF mode when I go to take a shot, the green focus light is lit, but in the bottom it keeps flashing F-- and in the lower right corner it says [r11] when I press othe shutter. When I am not pressing the shutter it says [1.0]k. :confused: What am I doing wrong? :confused:I tried to take some shots in manual mode and it would only work when it's set to M. (But the pictures are coming out all black -- no matter how I set the aperture.) If it's in A,S, P -- any other mode other than M, I get the same message and no shot is taken. I tried unlocking the aperture ring and relocking it -- same result. HELP!! I am not a total noncompoop. I am reading Digital Photography and Understanding exposure, so I know there is a huge learning curve and alot I have to learn. (And I want to learn!) I was just really surprised this lens isn't working for me. I have a Nkon d80.
BTW, would any of you recommend any of the dvds that are out there to get you started using your d80 right away? They show you all the features, etc. Just wondering if it'll make it easier...
Thanks!

achuang
09-14-2007, 02:48 AM
By the sounds of it, it sounds like the aperture ring hasn't been locked at the smallest aperture which is usually marked in orange. But you said you've tried unlocking and relocking it and it still doesn't work. Btw r11 is just the number of shots you are able to take before the buffer fills up. If you put your camera in burst mode and hold the shutter down for a few frames you'll notice the r11 number goes down, unless you have a fast memory card because then it probably won't go down as it can write to the memory card fast enough to clear the buffer.

the [1.0]k is just the number of pictures left that you can fit on your memory card. It means that you can take more than 1000 photos. Try changing the size and quality of the image from jpeg fine to normal or raw and you'll see that the number changes. Good luck with it.

SUITEFREAK
09-14-2007, 06:15 AM
By the sounds of it, it sounds like the aperture ring hasn't been locked at the smallest aperture which is usually marked in orange. But you said you've tried unlocking and relocking it and it still doesn't work. Btw r11 is just the number of shots you are able to take before the buffer fills up. If you put your camera in burst mode and hold the shutter down for a few frames you'll notice the r11 number goes down, unless you have a fast memory card because then it probably won't go down as it can write to the memory card fast enough to clear the buffer.

the [1.0]k is just the number of pictures left that you can fit on your memory card. It means that you can take more than 1000 photos. Try changing the size and quality of the image from jpeg fine to normal or raw and you'll see that the number changes. Good luck with it.

Thanks. I'll try it again. :) Thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe something was wrong with the lens. :eek:

SUITEFREAK
09-14-2007, 06:48 AM

Okay, I checked it out and I can take pictures as long as it's locked in the smallest aperture. But I can't lock it in any other aperture and it won't take photos in other apertures. Does that make sense? Sorry. I mean I had it set to aperture priority, and when it's locked it took a low light photos at f1.8 even though it was locked at f22. (It showed f1.8 in the viewfinder and the picture came out fine.) But when I manually move it to f1.8, I can't lock it and it won't take photos. I see a different message; it says fEE. :confused: Is the lens not supposed to be able to lock in any other apertures and what about if I wanted to use it manually? If it's always supposed to be locked at f22 then why would they even bother to have all the other f stop settings there? :confused: Sorry. It's probably a duh kind of answer to all you experts. :D I'm still learning...
Thanks for any help!:)

Classic96
09-14-2007, 07:03 AM
You do have to keep it locked at the smallest aperture. Then you adjust your aperture with the camera, ex with the command dial in aperture priority mode.

tcadwall
09-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Classic is correct. You need to lock it at the smallest aperture. Then the camera controls the aperture.

The aperture ring doesn't exist on many of the newer lens designs - designated by 'G'. Some older film cameras still utilize the manual aperture on the lens. But if you don't lock your camera at the min aperture, then the camera cannot control the aperture, therefore most functions on the camera will not work... Metering, etc.

With a D80 you have full control in a VERY easy way. If you are in a mode that allows control of aperture, you may simply rotate the front wheel and quickly dial in the aperture you desire. You can also push the button next to the lens (on the front of the camera to the shutter - release side) to see through the viewfinder what the DOF will be.

SUITEFREAK
09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Classic is correct. You need to lock it at the smallest aperture. Then the camera controls the aperture.

The aperture ring doesn't exist on many of the newer lens designs - designated by 'G'. Some older film cameras still utilize the manual aperture on the lens. But if you don't lock your camera at the min aperture, then the camera cannot control the aperture, therefore most functions on the camera will not work... Metering, etc.

With a D80 you have full control in a VERY easy way. If you are in a mode that allows control of aperture, you may simply rotate the front wheel and quickly dial in the aperture you desire. You can also push the button next to the lens (on the front of the camera to the shutter - release side) to see through the viewfinder what the DOF will be.

Thank you, and thank you all for helping! :)