PDA

View Full Version : Nikon ViewNX is here...

erichlund
09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Nikon has posted ViewNX on various sites for download. It can be a bit of a challenge to find. On Nikon USA you have select Photo Support, then select Software and sub-category Nikon ViewNX in the drop down lists. It will then take you to the download page for ViewNX. There is also a link to Nikon Transfer, which you may need as well, particularly if you download images directly from your camera. If you use a card reader, I don't know if this is necessary.

ViewNX is free, and there are Windows and McIntosh versions. I will have to wait until I get home to download it, but it's available now.

Sole Shooter
09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded it, I haven't determined if I like it or not. I'm currently using a freeware viewer (faststone viewer) that I'm happy with and gives me more features. Of course. ViewNX works best when paired up with Capture NX (which I don't have). The one feature I do like is having exif info via the camera settings in ViewNX. Not sure would use the star ratings and colored lables tho. Sooooo, what else is there to make me switch? I've only played with it a 1/2 hour or so.

VTEC_EATER
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Does this program have any more features than Bibble, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS2, or Capture NX?

If not, I'm not going to bother with downloading it. The last thing I need is another program for manipulating photos.

erichlund
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Does this program have any more features than Bibble, Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS2, or Capture NX?

If not, I'm not going to bother with downloading it. The last thing I need is another program for manipulating photos.

If you have all those other applications, you probably don't need ViewNX. Basically, it's intended to be the process manager with CaptureNX being the hard core editor, and it will launch CaptureNX for editing. Since you can do those same functions with Lightroom or Bibble, the free ViewNX is probably going to be underwhelming. Jason Odell, a CaptureNX guru uses Photo Mechanic for management, and so far, doesn't see enough in ViewNX to change.

What I've heard so far is that it's much faster than CaptureNX, and it allows you to group actions against sets of photos. For example, if you have a subset of photos that need a different white balance, it works well for this, and being a Nikon product, you do have access to Nikon white balance. You can simultaneously view the NEF and JPG taken in the same shot. I don't know about making simultaneous edits.

The full screen mode has some people disappointed because it apparently doesn't use a second monitor like the old version did.

Of course, I will have to see it before I can really make a valid evaluation of the program.

Rooz
09-11-2007, 11:24 PM
just downloaded it. huge thumbs up. allows for super quick basic raw edits. but mostly, as the name implies its a viewer similar to adobe bridge for example. the only viewer i normally use is windows so this filled a hole perfectly. export to NX is a bonus and it looks like it may be able to convert NEF to JPEGS via batch aswell.

if your looking for a basic browser and don;t have one, this works great. quick screen shot.

K1W1
09-12-2007, 02:45 AM
just downloaded it. huge thumbs up. allows for super quick basic raw edits.

if your looking for a basic browser and don;t have one, this works great. quick screen shot.

Gee. sounds like what I told you a couple of days ago. :)
I must download the new version I was always quite a fan of v6 but sort of forgot about it. I think View has always been largely unloved and under rated. It's a very good little program for quick and basic editing and image sorting IMO.

Rooz
09-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Gee. sounds like what I told you a couple of days ago. :)

which is why i downloaded it good sir. :)