PDA

View Full Version : DPReview D300 preview

erichlund
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
See Phil's preview (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/) of the D300. Especially, go to page 3 see the direct comparison of the D300 and 40D LCDs. :eek: :cool:

TheObiJuan
09-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I was surprised. I knew the D300's was better, but not that superior.

XaiLo
09-10-2007, 02:21 PM
D300?...D3?
D300?...D3?
D300?...D3?:confused: lol :)

jcon
09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
D300?...D3?
D300?...D3?
D300?...D3?:confused: lol :)

D3 my friend, D3 ;) LOL.

Rooz
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
yet still no images. i must say i find this highly unusual. :confused:

meanwhile here's some feedback on the D3 from a pro sports photographer in the USA who currently shoots Canon.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24736304 (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24736304)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24752213 (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24752213)

K1W1
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
yet still no images. i must say i find this highly unusual.

DP Review never publish images on Previews because generally the preview cameras are not production models and Phil only uses production cameras for images. I think Jeff has the same policy here and I agree with with it.

K1W1
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Anybody else notice the D3 that is the subject of the "Live View" photo tests in the preview?

I guess the D3 preview is only days away as well, they will allow the excitement of the D300 to die down then put the D3 up maybe over the weekend.

XaiLo
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
7K..... hmmmmmm can't wait to see what these puppies are capable of.:D

rawpaw18
09-12-2007, 05:05 AM
D300, I have not preordered yet, a little nervous about all the hype with no
photos to speak of to back it up. I know the 51 point 3-D tracking sounds like something that I could use
(I have some trouble with focus on moving subjects and the 70-200 on the D50).

Not sure whether to preorder, before ISO shots are made available, or wait to see real examples.

On paper(screen) it looks to be worth every penny, so far.

Rooz
09-12-2007, 05:43 AM
very sensible imo.

i can never understand the pre-order thing without seeing a single authentic image or at least waiting to see whether all the new features actually work the way they're supposed to.

K1W1
09-12-2007, 06:00 AM
You can always cancel the order but at least it gets you in the queue if you are that desperate to get one.

tim11
09-12-2007, 06:19 AM
To buy without seeing any professional reviews give one the right to say "I was one of the first to own this camera".... - albeit for a couple of days. They are who come here complaint the loudest.

tcadwall
09-12-2007, 08:05 AM
If I was in the market for a D300 seriously, I would pre-order. Period.

Why? Because it will be great.

Really? Well if it isn't as great as I really expected, then I could eBay it, and possibly MAKE money. C'mon these things are going to be hard to get, and there WILL be people that are waiting for their pre-order, but when they see yours listed, they will pay the premium to have it now.

erichlund
09-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Nikon policy is to not release photos until the camera is in its final condition. It won't be final until very near November. Nikon also always announces cameras long before release. So you will always have this period of several months where there will be very few photos out of the camera, and those by people who snuck them out.

If you are going to be a Nikon user, you should commit the above paragraph to memory. Because this will happen again. Expect official release photos sometime in late October or early November. Also, unlike Sony, expect Nikon to find some exotic locale for those photos. They went to Argentina for the D200 photos.

erichlund
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Eating my words. Nikon has apparently succumbed to pressure to see some photos. Of course, before anyone gets too excited, the following links are to photos that are clearly fully processed images. They are jpg (hard to view NEF here ;)). So how much is the camera and how much is processing is anyone's guess. Still, there's some good stuff here. Depth of field control is definitely back with the D3.

A few D3 images (http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/sample.htm), up to ISO 6400.

A couple of D300 images (http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/sample.htm), but limited to ISO 200. Perhaps there's more to follow.

rawpaw18
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Saw those photos, jpeg at 200 does not give me much to go on.
Also saw the High ISO shots taken at some kind on camera trade
show, supposedly at 6400, but controlled comaprison shots would be ideal.

Ritz is taking pre-orders(no tax or shipping) but B&H is not accepting as of yet. I kind of like K1W1 idea of just getting in line. Knowing how well Nikon stocks up for new releases ie: 18-200vr, there should be plenty of stock to go around. Tracey you got a point, preorder, or wait, or worse yet buy one over retail pricing(that won't happen!)

SantaCruz
09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
The fanfare for both the D3 and D300 seems to go beyond your usual manufacturer-generated 'hype'. Based on the specs and preliminary independent opinions, it would appear as though a page has turned in the book of digital photo performance (and expectations). I, for one, am excited about it. Had I not just purchased a D80 (:rolleyes:), I'd be all over the D300 for sure (D3 beyond my needs/budget for now). Let's all hope the hype is true. Raising the bar will result in better (and hopefully less expensive) products from all the manufacturers. It's a win/win...

K1W1
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Based on the specs and preliminary independent opinions, it would appear as though a page has turned in the book of digital photo performance (and expectations).

I agree. For the last couple of years I've looked at new releases and have not really seen any significant advances other than more pixels or larger LCD displays and basically yawned. The D3 D300 seem to represent a turning point and I must say the D300 has me very very interested but I'm still happy to wait 6 months or so and see what real world experiences are like.
One thing that has maybe been lost in the hype is that if the D3 D300 do represent a fundamental shift then it will be only fair to assume that the technology in them will filter down to the D80 and D40 replacements as they are introduced in the next 12 - 18 months. Obviously not every feature will migrate but I'm sure the major design philosophies will. Perhaps the D800(?) will be worth waiting for as a budget D300? :confused:

Rooz
09-12-2007, 08:11 PM
i agree some of the technology must filter down but it would have to be pretty watered out by the time it gets to a body half the price of a d300. besides which, i want a body that feels like the d300. (assuming its the same feel as the d200).

rawpaw18
09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
The buzz about the D300 is quite substantial, forums and previews alike
have very high expectations. I have not see a camera released to this much
fan fare since I been following gear news, admittedly only a few years, but there really seems to be something special about this camera.

I do not have the restraint Richard has, waiting six months, I can't do it.
Was it the D200 that had banding issues with the early releases? That is the kind of thing that would also worry me.

As far as technology trickling down(my favorite economics by the way), The
D300 is the filtered down D3.

Rooz
09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
The buzz about the D300 is quite substantial, forums and previews alike
have very high expectations. I have not see a camera released to this much
fan fare since I been following gear news, admittedly only a few years, but there really seems to be something special about this camera.

I do not have the restraint Richard has, waiting six months, I can't do it.
Was it the D200 that had banding issues with the early releases? That is the kind of thing that would also worry me.

As far as technology trickling down(my favorite economics by the way), The
D300 is the filtered down D3.

good stuff, get it and test it out for the rest of us. :D

tim11
09-12-2007, 09:54 PM
If I was in the market for a D300 seriously, I would pre-order. Period.

Why? Because it will be great.

Really? Well if it isn't as great as I really expected, then I could eBay it, and possibly MAKE money. C'mon these things are going to be hard to get, and there WILL be people that are waiting for their pre-order, but when they see yours listed, they will pay the premium to have it now.

Are you saying it will be hard to get D300? Even if it's as good as expected, D300 will be as common as D200 today. I'm willing to bet a lens cap for that. :D

Rooz
09-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Are you saying it will be hard to get D300? Even if it's as good as expected, D300 will be as common as D200 today. I'm willing to bet a lens cap for that. :D

its going to be very hard to get one initially. especially if its anything like the d200 when first released. nikon have had numerous problems with their supply over the last couple of years and when you compare the initial d300 production numbers with consumer interest, it suggests that nikon will be hard pressed to keep up with demand in the initial stages.

that is of course unless reviews turn up that says its a lemon. :eek: :p

XaiLo
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm not one to say I told you so, but I'm glad to see my strategy panned out this year. And I have been rewarded richly, I've got some nice glass and looking forward to pairing it up with either the D3 or D300. And you'll have to pry my D40 from my cold dead hands. lol But like K1W1, I'm going to forgo the initial flurry and wait a few months... probably wait till my birthday.

It's hard to say without any definitive evidence how good these cameras are going to be. But I would say judging from the D200, D80, and the D40/x and their improvements, Nikon's through with second place. So far everything they have released as of late has been a winner, be it glass or camera! I like that trend and right about now at least for the moment I'm impressed with their forward thinking.

K1W1
09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm going to forgo the initial flurry and wait a few months... probably wait till my birthday.

My birthday is in February that's a couple of months away and I would be very grateful. :D:D

XaiLo
09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Well that really conflicts with my birthday it's on the 24th. lol :D One o us is going to be happy. lmao

K1W1
09-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Mine is before yours so I guess you will just have to be happy in the knowledge that you have made me happy and if I'm in Queensland before 24 Feb I'll let Rooz have a turn so you will have made him happy as well. :)

XaiLo
09-13-2007, 05:19 AM
I'm so happy my generosity abounds. I hope you two enjoy the box I'll make sure the rubberband propelled shutter is good for at least 1/500 of a sec.:D lol

Esoterra
09-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I need to...come to my senses... I am suffering from a serious case of wantnewgearitis, lol. It's easy to get sucked into the hype and throw down my hard earned money...JUST what Nikon wants. I think a lot of people are getting hyped up... seeing some great images and reviews on the D3 like the one I will post below, and expect D3 performance from the D300. There is a reason the D3 is $3200 more than the D300, and it has a lot to do with IQ (sensor). Having said all this, I will probably order the D300 in January and play the waiting game. Some say, you cant be too safe, and others say...
well...from the lyrics of Cosy Prisons (A-ha)

"So if you're careful, you won't get hurt
But if you're careful all the time, then whats it worth?"

worth? could be a $1800 mistake? who knows. But the following review of the D3 keeps me focused lol"

Man was I surprised by two things. First, the white were never hot or blown out and the shadows had plenty of detail. It confirmed what I had heard about the dynamic range of the camera. I can say for certain, My Mark II doesn’t handle that lighting condition well.
The images had a really nice creamy quality to the out of focus background, and the images were tack sharp. How sharp? Like nothing I have ever seen before.
Every hair on the back of a players neck (yes those little almost white hairs) can be seen and counted. Every eyelash, perfectly defined in a way I have never experienced before.

Esoterra
09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I think I am going to change my mind and get the D3 instead...

Esoterra
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
$5,000 for a D3...wow that is a lot of money. Sheesh... I just cant make my mind up...the D300 looks SO much more enticing $$$-wise....

erichlund
09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Chris...you're talking to yourself. LOL :D

jcon
09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
$5,000 for a D3...wow that is a lot of money. Sheesh... I just cant make my mind up...the D300 looks SO much more enticing $$$-wise....

Im with ya on this. I am waiting to see better samples and more reviews of the ISO perfromance before I decide, but if everything is true, I will probably opt for the D3, simply because I have always been intrigued by FF.

Decisions.. decisions!

XaiLo
09-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Esoterra, I read that same review, it was one that was so intense, an airy feeling came over me. It was like I was in a vacuum, more specifically a D3 vacuum sucking 5k in one gulp out of my pocket. then that obnoxious burping and gurggling going on with insane laughter rumbling in the background. Oh the delirium sweltering in the heat of the moment. As I extended my arm the ground begins to tremble violently, but I'm being pull as if by the attraction of a magneticfield. I was being levitated and I managed to flip open the box and with the thummmmmphhhhh of a Ferrari door closing the camera has lodged itself into the palm of my hand and in an instant a 600mm AF-S found itself mounted on the D3. It started weilding images with the gracefulness of a deadly litesaber proclaiming the death of... (to be continued)

RichNY
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Chris- What does the D3 give you that you need that the D300 doesn't. You'll already get past the D200 high ISO noise and slow fps with the D300. I've got both on pre-order but have been questioning whether I'll even need the D3 if the D300 has the same high speed AF.

As far as build quality- My 1D is clearly better as will be the D3... but I don't think I will personally need anything more than a weather sealed D300 build.

With ultrawides we still can shoot at the short end, and the crop gets that extra 1.5 on the long end.

I'm glad it will be a while before they are available and decisions will have to be made.

wh0128
09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
If only I didn't have to go to a really expensive school I could get the D3, which looking at those sample photos would be a very good decision.

I'll jump on the waiting train, and see how this camera plays out.

rawpaw18
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM

That is just the beginning, $1600, 24-70 lens and up from there. You will have to double the $5000 just to get started.

Rich or should I say pot/kettle, trying to talk Jason into a D300 when you have both cameras on preorder! Jason if you order the D300 that will put me further down on the waiting list.
Rich, who are you trying to convince, you or Jason?:rolleyes:

Esoterra
09-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Remember... if you spend $5,000 on a new D3 the day will come in the distant future that you will look back on that 5 grand and ask yourself was it really worth it? Would you... or should you have saved the 5 grand (+ tax I might add) for something more pertinent to your life down the road? This is the 1 question that grounds me from jumping into a D3...

Esoterra
09-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh... man that D3 looks soooo promising...my photo skills are going to increase exponentially once I get my hands on a D3... THATS it.. IM GETTING a D3 now!

jcon
09-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh... man that D3 looks soooo promising...my photo skills are going to increase exponentially once I get my hands on a D3... THATS it.. IM GETTING a D3 now!

*Slaps Chris*

Snap out of it man! You're talking to yourself again! :p

fionndruinne
09-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Heheh, Chris, talk about mood swings. You're not experiencing the hormone thing, are you? :p

or should you have saved the 5 grand (+ tax I might add)

Hah, not myself! Oregon is sales-tax free.:D

TheObiJuan
09-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Heheh, Chris, talk about mood swings. You're not experiencing the hormone thing, are you? :p

Hah, not myself! Oregon is sales-tax free.:D

The state must make it up with ''personal income tax''; none of that business in Texas.

fionndruinne
09-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Every state has their method; it's a lot easier, though, when a $1 item is... a dollar!

No Control
09-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Every state has their method; it's a lot easier, though, when a $1 item is... a dollar!

Exactly. I went to Radio Shack with a couple friends to buy a cheap microphone so we'd at least have someting to use and all we had was a 20 dollar bill...turns out the cheapest mic was $19.99. I bet where you can see where this is going...we went without the mic. :P

Esoterra
09-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Nevada has no State Income Tax...thanks to all of you that swing by here and throw your money away in the slot machines. We do, however, have sales tax @ 7.5% which really sucks. So that D3 will run me close to $5400 out the door.

fionndruinne
09-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Take a road trip, and buy it in Medford or somewhere such.

California has the same... I think 7.25%, so that's what I grew up with. I'm still surprised sometimes at the ease of just, well, paying what the sticker says!

Prospero
09-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Here in the Netherlands we have sales tax (19%) and income tax (up to 40% depending on your income).
Very different here than in the states. The taxes are pretty high, but education, health care, etc. are rather cheap.
I guess we're a bit more communistic here in Europe :D

fionndruinne
09-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, yeah, nice if you can (for example) get healthcare before you succumb to your ailment in the UK.:rolleyes:

Rooz
09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
has anyone ordered a d300 and if so how much did you pay ? looks like its around $1800USD at bhphoto which works out to be roughly $2100AUD.

i hear that it will retail in Oz for more like $2600 and over. thats bloody ridiculous. :mad:

Gintaras
09-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Here in the Netherlands we have sales tax (19%) and income tax (up to 40% depending on your income).
Very different here than in the states. The taxes are pretty high, but education, health care, etc. are rather cheap.
I guess we're a bit more communistic here in Europe :D

YEAP... sigh...not to mention many things are sold in the States for less price than in Europe where they are made!!! SHAME!!!

Prospero, you know i am still thinking about ordering new lenses from the States exactly because of price difference (not mention euro/dollar rate) but a problem is what about guarantee if the lens defective or breaks? i ve heard it many vendors nowadays limit guarantee to the area where you buy, so might be Canon will tell me send that back to the States if defective? and it s not a cheap lens, this 17-55 and 10-22 canon.
anyone from Europe has experience with using guarantee on something bought in the States?

PS: i wish less taxes were paid in Europe because the state is not best money manager and a lot of money ends up in dust. if in doubt go to Brussels:(

rawpaw18
09-17-2007, 04:33 AM
has anyone ordered a d300 and if so how much did you pay ? looks like its around $1800USD at bhphoto which works out to be roughly $2100AUD.

i hear that it will retail in Oz for more like $2600 and over. thats bloody ridiculous. :mad:

I always buy my gear from B&H, but right now they are not
taking preorders on the D300. Ritz is however, still priced at
$1800 suggested retail but no shipping or tax! I may have to switch
from my normal supplier this time.

fionndruinne
09-17-2007, 12:24 PM
i wish less taxes were paid in Europe because the state is not best money manager

:eek: That sounds like republicanism! Don't you get stoned for that in Europe? :D