PDA

View Full Version : LOWEPRO Micro Trekker 200 or Mini Trekker Classic for D40 +++???

Donato777
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I have already gone through two bags and neither one is large enough for my gear. I have a D40 + kit lens, 70-300VR w/hood, Tamron 90mm macro, SB-400 flash + manual, extra battery, SD cards, etc. Will either the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 or Mini Trekker Classic hold all this stuff comfortably? Thanks.

mugsisme
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
This is a huge PITA, and do NOT do this with any young children in tow ... Take all of your gear, go to a camera store, and try to get it into the bags you think you want. Seriously. I had decided on one bag, and tried to get my stuff, and it didn't fit nicely. I ended with a totally different bag than what I set out to buy. Now, that said, I was going to buy online at first, but since I did take up a lot of time trying to figure out which one I wanted, I bought it from my local Ritz camera.

I had the Trekker 100, and my stuff does not fit into so well. Try them out. There is also another thread here where people talked about what bags they use. http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30518

HTH.

Donato777
09-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I read that thread and it was quite helpful. The problem with choosing a bag is that it is often hard to find the models you're researching, even the Lowepro and Tamrac models, not to mention Crumpler, Kate, and the other less known (in the USA) brands. THat is why members ask advice from others who might have a similar photo system.

Sole Shooter
09-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I went to Samy's Camera here in L.A. yesterday and bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200AW for my D80, 18-55, 55-200, 50mm, filters, xtra battery, and few other items. So far, I'm happy with the bag. FWIW, I looked at the micro 200 and it's not very comfortable while wearing it (at least to me). The one feature I liked about the slingshot is you wear it over one shoulder and if something catches your eye, you just swing the bag forward and there's your camera. Much easier access. It also has an additional strap to completely secure the bag in case you're hiking or the like. But as mugsisme has said, you should get to a store and check them out in person before making your purchase. Good luck.

fionndruinne
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I looked at Tamrac... and while they look nice, I think they're rather too light on protection for my taste. For that matter, so is my Lowepro top-loading mini SLR bag. I like the top-load style, but obviously they won't carry all your gear. M-rock has some interesting ones on Amazon.

XaiLo
09-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Donato777, I'm in luv and impressed with the Tamrac Pro5. I wanted a bag that would allow me to leave the 70-200mm mounted to the camera. Yet allow for easy access and somewhat weather resistant, the Pro 5 fit the bill to a "T". The greatest thing I like about it, it saved me from the SlingShot which is a cool concept, but in practice just seemed like it was an accident waiting to happen for my purposes. Depending on the size lens in addition to the d40/70-200mm it can hold two - four additional lenses plus accessories or flash system yet because of it's design it is relatively compact with well thought out compartments. And compared to my crumpler 5mil bag which I ended up giving it to my wife all I can say is make sure you get to a place with a wide a variety. One other worthy note is the top panel it is zippered and also has three quik release clips one in front and on either side. It also has a panel sideing that conforms to the shape of the bag so raincan not seep into the bag just in case. To be on the safe side though I keep a plastic cover in one of the comparments.;)

check out the link here! (http://www.tamrac.com/5605.htm)

Donato777
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I appreciate all the replies. Xailo, I checked out the Tamrac Pro 5 after I bought the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 for $53.99 shipped. It is a little wider than the Tamrac Pro 5 (10.5W x 5D x 12.5H in for the Micro Trekker vs. 9W x 6 D x 10H for the Pro 5). What I needed (I think) was the extra width and height of the MT-200. We'll see. If it's still too small I'll send it back and reconsider my options. But I sure like the style of the Pro 5.

XaiLo
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Let me know it works out Don;)

Donato777
09-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Let me know it works out Don;)

The Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 arrived and it is just the right bag for my gear with room to spare. The D40 fits with a 70-300VR w/hood attached and there is plenty of room for my 18-135mm and Tamron 90mm macro lenses, flash unit, etc. Thanks again for the replies.

XaiLo
09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Great to hear that Don! Happy Shooting. Post some pics soon.:)