PDA

View Full Version : D80, Dust on Sensor

JBO
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I am bringing my camera to the shop tomorrow so that I can have my sensor cleaned. When I take a picture it has two minute grey dots on the image. you can only see them when you take a picture of a white wall or something clear. Is this expensive? I am a little scared to clean it myself just because I dont want to do anything that i will regret. Is there a way to keep dust out of there or does this happen all the time?

ANy help would be great!

Josh

JerrfyLube
09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Get yourself a giotto rocket blower and do it yourself and save the money.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower-Review.aspx

Most camera shops will probably charge 20-30 bucks to clean a sensor when it only takes a few seconds of your time and is super easy to do. Put your mirror in lock up mode, release the shutter and remove the lens...face the camera torwards the ground, few puffs of air from the blower on the sensor, turn the power off, reattach the lens and check for dust. Repeat till its clean. For subborn spots, wet cleaning may be required and is best left to professionals if you dont have the proper equipment or cleaning solution. Checking for dust is best done against a white sheet of paper in a brightly lit room at the smallest apertures possible...their alot easier to see at F22 than they are wide open!

fionndruinne
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
First off, there's dust probably on everyone's sensor who owns a digital SLR... and if it only shows up when photographing white walls, then it shouldn't be bad enough to worry about. But don't spend more than you have to - don't take the camera in for a few measly dots. Just buy a manual air blower, like the Rocket Air Blaster, and using the mirror lock-up feature, remove your lens in a clean area and blast some air in there. It's totally harmless; you're not touching anything, just knocking those dust motes off. It happens all the time.

K1W1
09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Save yourself even more money and just buy a small bottle with a nozzle like this from the Supermarket for about 50 cents. Make sure it's clean and dry inside and you have you own "rocket blower".

http://www.stellafane.com/atm/atm_polish/images/CeOmix.jpg

jcon
09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I would suggest SensorSwabs. Sure blowers can work great, but they can also blow more particles onto the sensor. Also, blowers dont always get those stuck on particles that a Swab can remove quite easily.

If you stil wish to take it to a shop, I would suggest waiting til the dust problem is more apparent.