PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF

hankbeblazin
09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
This is the lens that all of you guys are raving about right? i'm about to buy it and want to be sure this is the lens. I know its only manual focus on the D40 but that doesn't bother me at all as i rarely ever use Auto-focus.

K1W1
09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
That is the lens. It's around US$100.00 I believe.

No Control
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Yep, that's the one. It's a keeper. :)

hankbeblazin
09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
cool i'm gonna pick it up in the next week or so, im interning at a Gallery and i'm gonna need it for taking pictures of indoor events. I just wanted to make sure, thats quite a steal for 100 bucks

what do you guys think of the 55-200mm lens? pretty good at full zoom? i want to replace the Tamron i have, i notice at apertures above 5 at full zoom it gets pretty blurry

XaiLo
09-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Most of the guys here who have one seem to love it and with good reason.:)

hankbeblazin
09-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Most of the guys here who have one seem to love it and with good reason.:)

the 50 or the 55-200?

K1W1
09-07-2007, 12:11 AM
what do you guys think of the 55-200mm lens? pretty good at full zoom? i want to replace the Tamron i have, i notice at apertures above 5 at full zoom it gets pretty blurry

All my recent Soccer pics are with that lens. many are heavily cropped from full or near full zoom.

rawpaw18
09-07-2007, 04:26 AM
In regards to the 50mm. It is a great lens if the 50mm is the range you can use.
Set your kit lens to 50mm and walk through the gallery to make sure it will work for you, depends on what exactly you are shooting, it may not be wide enough.

tcadwall
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Make sure you have a good tripod as well.

Gallery lighting... Yeeehaww. Sounds like a challenge without the tripod. I agree with a dry run if you can before-hand. Find out for sure what focal length will work best before buying a lens. You can't go wrong with the 50mm unless your budget really isn't going to allow for a tripod, or the proper focal length.

For instance. f/1.8 sure does help you take low-light shots. Also the lens is very sharp. HOWEVER... f/1.8 also won't give you much depth of field, so if you want to take a overview shot of a room, then you will need to stop it down. Definitely will want a tripod. Also, 50mm will mean you will have to get pretty close to some pieces of artwork if you are taking individual shots of them. That may be fine. Just keep in mind that lighting is going to be tough. If you can (and it sounds like you can) get access to the displays when people are not there, then I would strongly suggest takings shots that way too. If you are careful you may also be able to use a flash (with a longer exposure) to add detail and still not ruin the ambient lighting in the shot.

erichlund
09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
After doing that walk around, if that's not wide enough, set 35mm and see if that works for you. The 35mm f/2 is almost as fast (1/3 stop diff) and is actually what would be considered the "normal" lens on an APS-C sensor. Of course, it's a better lens, and that's reflected in the ~$320 price tag.

hankbeblazin
09-07-2007, 03:00 PM
thanks for all your help guys, i'll check out the 35mm too

the Top floor is around 30x20

the bottom floor is maybe 20x 40

i'm not really taking pictures of artwork as i am, concerts inside, gallery parties, gallery events that type of thing
i'm going on monday and gonna take my kit lense and see what length is wide enough before i buy it

By the way any word on what ya'll think of the nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Vr lens?

TNB
09-07-2007, 03:23 PM
IF you are considering low-level lighting shots on a regular basis, you may want to consider F/2.8 glass and faster even though the lenses are usually more expensive.

tcadwall
09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I just got back from what ended up being a quite informal gallery opening. There were several people taking flash photography of artists with there work. Now since this was not a real formal atmosphere I am sure that this may not be proper or allowed at more upscale galleries. But, thought I would mention it, since I am not really sure how the gallery you are at would view this. Might be worth asking about. After all if you are given some type of obvious credential that you could wear, it would likely not be seen as offensive, but as a hired photographer doing his job.

There was one individual that was using a diffuser, one of those weird looking ones that i have only seen on-line with enormous claims. I think a few of you might have one... :)

hankbeblazin
09-07-2007, 10:21 PM
its not a formal gallery its more of an alternative gallery more of what i like. i'm not real keen on the whole formal gallery and the pretentious people who go there

JerrfyLube
09-09-2007, 12:46 AM
GREAT lens! Super sharp in the F4-6 range! My only gripe about it is the lack of a real rear lens cap...it comes with a crappy peice of plastic that slips over the mount. Why is that??? Normal Nikon rears fit it just fine...:confused: