PDA

View Full Version : Shore Photos (C&C please)

fionndruinne
09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Alright, I decided to create a thread for these, since I want to post more than a couple, and don't want to go crazy in one of the other threads. I'm really trying to pay attention to how I frame shots these days, because I know that's one area that makes or breaks a photo, and hasn't been one of my strongest points. So comments and critique are welcome.

First set:

1/500 sec., f/7.1, ISO 200 @ 18mm

1/400 sec., f/10, ISO 200 @ 38mm

The family took off in one direction, so I decided to go another. I hadn't been down to Cape Arago in a while, and boy was I missing some great photos. All in all it was a great Labor Day, and my lunch right above the crashing waves was quite enjoyable. Good ham and swiss sandwich, and just the proper thing to go with it (am I right, Rooz?;)):

1/1000 sec., f/5.6, -0.7 EV, ISO 200 @ 55mm

coldrain
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I like the 1st photo. Nice colours, good exposure and a nice composition.

The 2nd photo, it looks rather unevenful, not special... so the composition and stand point probably could need some work.

The beer bottle... I don't understand it much. The focus is not on any interesting part, and you get dizzy trying to look at the label (the part of the bottle that does attract interest). Also the bokeh of the lens that you took the bottle pic with looks quite unattractive, which makes that shot not work for me at all...

But I do like the 1st photo.

Prospero
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
The beer bottle... I don't understand it much. The focus is not on any interesting part, and you get dizzy trying to look at the label (the part of the bottle that does attract interest). Also the bokeh of the lens that you took the bottle pic with looks quite unattractive, which makes that shot not work for me at all...

Come on Coldy, what is so hard to understand about the picture of the beer bottle. It simulates the effect of drinking too much of it :D

Andrew, I really like that first shot. Exposure is spot on, composition is great. The rock formations make the picture impressive.

The second is a bit boring in my opinion. It does not have enough depth, perhaps that would improve if you had some taller shrubs in the foreground.

fionndruinne
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Thankya. The second was a nice view, but doesn't translate to a great photo I guess. As for the bottle... I have a couple more, including focused on the label, but I'm too lazy to work with them.

2nd Set:

1/320 sec., f/9, ISO 200 @ 18mm

1/640 sec., f/13, ISO 200 @ 18mm

1/400 sec., f/10, -0.7 EV, ISO 200 @ 19mm

No Control
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
The first shot of the first set is impressive, great work. I also enjoyed the first and third of the second set but the middle one isn't up to the quality of the others. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but that's just my opinion. :D

jcon
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I really like the last picture you posted! if I may offer my opinion though, I would suggest cropping a little off from the ttop, I feel there is too much sky that distracts from the photo. It really is a great shot though!

No Control
09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
if I may offer my opinion though, I would suggest cropping a little off from the ttop, I feel there is too much sky that distracts from the photo. It really is a great shot though!

Ahh I forgot to add this to my original post, and I agree. :)

fionndruinne
09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I really like the last picture you posted! if I may offer my opinion though, I would suggest cropping a little off from the ttop, I feel there is too much sky that distracts from the photo. It really is a great shot though!

Thanks for the input, I'm agreeing. I went ahead and cropped some of the sky in this next shot, to its improvement.

3rd Set:

1/320 sec., f/9, ISO 200 @ 26mm

1/250 sec., f/8, ISO 200 @ 18mm

I'm not happy with the irregular flaring above the sun with this next one, but it's not terrible in my opinion, and I rather like the shot.

1/400 sec., f/10, -0.3 EV, ISO 200 @ 18mm

toriaj
09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Your second and third batches are great, I really like them, but I wish they were smaller so I could see the composition more effectively (without changing my screen zoom to 50%, that is.)

I'm so jealous of all you photogs who live by the ocean :mad:

fionndruinne
09-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I usually post pics at 800 pixels in length, but I went all-out this time with 1024 pixels, so the details are as good as I could get them. Guess one can never quite win, though, eh?

Ah yes, the Midwest, for all its strong points, kind of suffers without the sea, doesn't it? I've always lived on the west coast (albeit my first eighteen years were spent in smoggy southern cal, with less access to the dirty, crowded and lackluster beaches). I wouldn't give up the Pacific coast for any other place in the US.

Paradox
09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Width is fine for me. Doesn't even stretch the forum. :P

Nice shots, especially the later ones you posted. :)

r3g
09-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Great shots :D

Honest Gaza
09-05-2007, 03:48 AM
I like the first shot in the 3rd set....very dramatic to me :)

(I picture shipwrecks and Jack Sparrow sitting on the beach)

Gintaras
09-05-2007, 04:27 AM
Fion, in the first set I prefer #1, other two are Ok but not standing out. In your 2nd set the #1 and #3 shots look brilliant for me. The #2 shot would look fabulous if you agree to include a bit more of a sky into your composition, at least IMO.

Your 3rd set of pictures is just excellent!!! All in all great photo session you had, including that bottle of bear in your shot which you probably happily consumed. :D

herc182
09-05-2007, 09:56 AM
lovely photos. the second batch was the best for me. Some of them make me think that HDR was involved or maybe using two differently exposed photos. But i think that the D40 (and yourself!) did an excellent job at metering and exposing the photo. Love the first one of the second batch (which i thought looked very well exposed to the point of exceeding the dynamic range of the camera!)

toriaj
09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Width is fine for me. Doesn't even stretch the forum. :P

Nice shots, especially the later ones you posted. :)

The width is fine for me, too. It's the height that's the problem. I can't see the whole shot at once, which makes it hard to see the composition. Still, very nice shots.

fionndruinne
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks a lot for your input, folks, I appreciate it. toriaj, I understand the inconvenience (I've gotten used to it with a widescreen laptop), but I just don't think the photos look as good at smaller sizes. As for this next set, I already have them resized...

Herc, thanks - you know, there's no lighting quite like what I had to work with; there were clouds in the sky, offering some diffused lighting to mitigate the shadows, but then I also had the sun, at a very western angle and diluted just enough with ocean mist to put it right as well. It was nice.:D That said, I've done a little work in Lightroom, especially on the blue sky, which I've managed to improve, and remove the cyan flavor, without a polarizer.

4th Set:

These next two should be familiar; which one is preferable?

1/250 sec., f/8, +0.7 EV, spot meter, ISO 200 @ 31mm

1/500 sec., f/4.8, ISO 200 @ 38mm

1/320 sec., f/9, -0.7 EV, spot meter, ISO 200 @ 20mm, converted from raw

I think I'll try an HDR with that last shot as well, seems like there's some more dynamic range to play with. There was more in my original conversion, unfortunately it loses some of the vividness with lowered image quality/size.