PDA

View Full Version : I made a bride cry this weekend...

VTEC_EATER
09-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Tears of joy of course!

So this was my 4th wedding this summer and Ive always wanted to take photos at the wedding and print some out for the reception. Ya know, so they had photos of their wedding on their wedding day.:) Well, I only brought 2 lenses with me to the ceremony, the 12-24/4 and the 50/1.8. So armed with the two and my trusty D50, I did my best to get something that would work. Well, I tried not to impose or get in the way of the professional photographer(s) and sneaked my way into the aisle and snapped a few shots with the 50mm.

After I got home I only had time to edit 2 of them and print, buy frames, and get to the reception. Being the person I am, I didn't want the bride and groom to know I was the one who took the photos, so I had my girlfriend (whom they have never met) covertly place the 8x10's on the head table. It took about half an hour for the bride to walk up to the table, but when she saw them, she started bawling her eyes out. She was totally taken away by them. My mother, being the person she is, let the cat out of the bag and told the bride who took the photos.... So, I was ousted and the two came over. The bride had told me she hadn't cried all day until she saw the photos, so that made me feel good.

Enough with the stories, here are the two I printed out.

...you may kiss the bride
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/1321114942_d353f3bbc2_o.jpg

Two hearts become one
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1425/1320229541_38cf669d72_o.jpg

If I would have had more time, I would have made some title blocks or something to go around the photos, but I only had an hour to do everything. Both were shot with the 50/1.8 and cropped to this. I added the noise in the top one. I added a little blur to the background to try and soften some of the harsh contrast. Just some minor stuff. Nothing that would look unrealistic.

N.C.F.
09-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Awesome stuff mate, and a good story too! I hope to get some wedding work sometime this fall.

Rooz
09-04-2007, 07:11 AM
great story. love the first shot. not too sure about the added noise, but its a beautiful moment you captured well. :)

tcadwall
09-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Reminds me of a wedding I went to a couple years ago (when I was doing video and not stills). The photographer shooting the wedding had a digital frame (which were still fairly new at the time). Even today a frame that size (it was at least 8x10 size) would be quite pricey. But during the trip from the church to the country club, his assistant loaded a killer shot to it from the wedding, and rushed in at the country club to place it near the entry. Something that you wedding photogs, or soon to be wedding photogs might want to keep in the back of your mind.

Great story... How did the pro take it?

VTEC_EATER
09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
How did the pro take it?

I don't know. I just know that all wedding photographers give me snide looks when I pull out my camera. And when I pull out the 70-200 VR... Well, they really give me dirty looks.

I don't get in their way, and I always let them get in position before I go somewhere else to take a photo. I would guess that photographers will just have to get used to guests bringing DSLR's to the weddings since they are getting so much cheaper, and thus popular.

On a side note, a guy behind me was shooting a Leica M8. I couldn't tell what lenses he was using, but nice camera none-the-less.

N.C.F.
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know. I just know that all wedding photographers give me snide looks when I pull out my camera. And when I pull out the 70-200 VR... Well, they really give me dirty looks.

Or any pro photographer that has his camera up his... well, ya know. Professional just means your good enough that someones willing to pay you for hobby, nothing more or nothing else. They'll learn to deal in time.

tim11
09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I like KISS THE BRIDE shot but the added noise is overkill.
Good timing.

bobc4d
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
great story and photos.

not knowing about such artistic things, why did you add the noise in the first photo ? to give it more atmosphere ? I'm just being curious here

VTEC_EATER
09-05-2007, 06:24 AM
It just looked too smooth. Much like the second photo does. Just a little too clean, ya know.

bobc4d
09-05-2007, 07:47 PM
well not really. I thought the object of the game was a 'smooth', crystal clear picture. as I said, I'm not artsy so I don't understand these nuances in adding noise to give the picture a 'not as clean look'

jcon
09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
It just looked too smooth. Much like the second photo does. Just a little too clean, ya know.

I much prefer the "smoother" look as opposed to the "grainy" look. If I feel a picture is too grainy or noisy,a quick run through NeatImage gives it that nice smooth look, much like your second photo. I have found customers like the smooth look more than the grain look.