PDA

View Full Version : Color Mode - Which one?

Tony_V
08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm curious what color mode most folks use. I have a D80 and it offers 3 choices. Ia, II, and IIIa. The 'very detailed' manual says Ia for portraits, IIIa for nature and landscapes and II if you intend to do a lot of post processing. I shoot in RAW and convert the NEF format images to 16bit Tiffs before PP. I know I can adjust the images but I am trying to do the least amount of PP possible.

Rooz
08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
tony, it will depend on the scene you are shooting which colour mode suits the best. what you said above is pretty right. i use Ia quite neutral so ideal for people/ portraits and IIIa for landscapes to get increased contrast and saturation. in saying that, for highly saturated colours when shooting in macro, (especially reds), i stay away from IIIa as it's just too vivid and you lose some fine detail.

in your camera's shooting mode settings, if you choose from Nomral, Vivid, more vivid etc. these will automatically select the colour mode and other finer adjustments for you. eg: by selecting "more vivid" it will shoot in IIIa and increase saturation, contrast to their highest setting.

since you shoot in raw, i would always use the normal setting for Ia then adjust it in PP. it's only really 1 click to change colour modes so its not a long complex workflow.

Tony_V
09-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Rooz, thanks for the clarification. I did not know the camera adjusted the color mode based on your color saturation and contrast settings.
I find that if i shoot in mode IIIa I like the color saturation on most everything except skin tones. So since I usually have people in my shots Ia did seem to work best.

Thanks again,
Tony

Rooz
09-03-2007, 07:09 AM
you're welcome. :)

btw: there's actually 5 or 6 colour modes but i can't remember how to access the others in cam. i do it PP in RAW workflow. perhaps someone else can clarify how these can be accessed, if at all, in camera.