PDA

View Full Version : D50 price?

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
I've decided to quit obsessing over details and pull the trigger on a DSLR. I've decided on a Nikon D50 for a number of reasons - one of the most important being price... or speculated price I guess - since I can't find it anywhere but ebay! :o

I know the dangers of ebay, but the ol' D50 doesn't appear to be available at any of the normal online retailers anymore. Anyone have any leads/advice? I'm not opposed to refurbished (I think?).

Thanks in advance.

Roswell
08-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Nice camera ...

with lens http://www.acephoto.net/order.php?id=3508

body only ( $450 ) http://www.acephoto.net/order.php?id=3507

Amazon body only ... http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-6-1MP-Digital-Camera-Body/dp/B0009GZAGO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-7855360-4886559?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188571154&sr=8-3

you can see nice camera ... D40 ... good price ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000KJQ1DG/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-7855360-4886559?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Yikes! :eek: $894 (body only) for a new one (Wall Street Photo via the Amazon link above)!

Never heard of Ace Photo, but it looks kind of shady...

There are a few used ones via the Amazon link, but they're all at or above the ebay prices, and they come from peoples' houses just like ebay items. I guess ebay might be my best option? :confused:

XaiLo
08-31-2007, 09:28 AM
cvicisso, long time friend, if your in america check craigs list for someone in your area that may have one. Being that it's been discontinued it is pretty hard to find new these days.

Have you considered the D40 or D80 new?

Roswell
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
If you want my opinion ... Ace Photo or as you like ...

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 09:52 AM
cvicisso, long time friend, if your in america check craigs list for someone in your area that may have one. Being that it's been discontinued it is pretty hard to find new these days.

Have you considered the D40 new?

Hi XaiLo - yeah, it's been a while. Went off the grid, but now need some dslr advice. :D

I've never tried Craigs List (I know, I know... I'm soooo 20th century!), but I'll see if I can crack the code and give it a whirl.

I did consider the D40 and I actually almost bought one. It's an awesome camera - and fills all of my requirements perfectly... except one. As I'm building my arsenal, I really want to include some large aperture (wider than 2.8) lenses. So far, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM is the only one available that will work (as designed) on the D40 (not including manually focussing, no metering, etc). I know that more will come along eventually, but the fact that there's only one lens right now (compared to a bunch for the Nikon bodies that have the lens drive motor) ruled out the D40 (and D40X) for me. :(

In fact, the Canon lenses available for their DSLRs is pretty tempting (they seem to have a LOT more USM+IS - or 'AF-S+VR' in Nikon-speak - lenses!)... but I really prefer the look/feel/build-quaility of the Nikons.

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
If you want my opinion ... Ace Photo or as you like ...
Roswell - what are you basing your opinion on? Have you bought anything from Ace Photo?

jcon
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
What are you looking to pay for a D50? I'll be selling mine in the very near future and nope, I'm not one of the "Crooklyn" stores either.:p

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
What are you looking to pay for a D50? I'll be selling mine in the very near future and nope, I'm not one of the "Crooklyn" stores either.:pHi jcon. $50? :p Ha, just joking! If you PM me the details/condition/whatever, I'd be glad to take a look.

To answer your question though - Rosswell's AcePhoto link has the body for $450 (but I think I'd be safer just posting all my credit card info and personal data right here in this thread! ;)), and I've recently seen ebay auctions going for anywhere from the low $300's to $ridiculous for mint/excellent condition D50's with the kit lens. I'm shooting for the lower part of that ballpark range! ;)

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I know that more will come along eventually, but the fact that there's only one lens right now (compared to a bunch for the Nikon bodies that have the lens drive motor) ruled out the D40 (and D40X) for me.

Canon fast lenses are EF which on crop camera body increases focal length by x1.6 so EF lens 35mm becomes 56mm on 1.6 crop body like XTi or 30D?

For a 1.6 sensor Canon delivered only one fixed focal EF-S lens - 60mm F2.8 Macro...hm?

cvicisso
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Canon fast lenses are EF which on crop camera body increases focal length by x1.6 so EF lens 35mm becomes 56mm on 1.6 crop body like XTi or 30D?

For a 1.6 sensor Canon delivered only one fixed focal EF-S lens - 60mm F2.8 Macro...hm?
Hmmm...yes, I understand all about the 'cropping' effect of smaller (APS) sized sensors. Not sure where you were going with that...? :confused:

My post was comparing the lens availability of the Nikon D50 (with lens drive motor in body) to the Nikon D40 (without drive motor). All the Canon bodies have a vastly wider selection of lenses than the Nikon D40 or D40X - that was not in question (by me at least). In fact, this large Canon lens selection (particularly primes and image-stabilized lenses) makes it very tempting for me to not just go with Canon today since I haven't started my dslr system yet.

XaiLo
09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
cvicisso, I think Gintaras was trying to emphasize though Canon may have a larger selection their usefulness on a APS-C sensor is negated when it comes to wide angle lenses due to the crop factor... Be that as it may, to that end you'll be better served with a D50 or D80. Congrats;) let me know what you decide on.

fionndruinne
09-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Don't overlook Sigma lenses when you evaluate Nikon's lens choices - Sigma makes some great lenses and typically seem to be more geared towards the Nikon system than any other - though they make a good selection of Canon lenses as well.

K1W1
09-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Don't overlook Sigma lenses when you evaluate Nikon's lens choices

And there are Tokina and Tamron lenses that are worth more than a passing look as well.

cvicisso
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
And there are Tokina and Tamron lenses that are worth more than a passing look as well.Yep, good advice all. In making my decision on a dslr system, third-party lens manufacturers were/are definitely part of the equation.

That Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM (which IS compatible with the D40) will definitely be part of my kit - no matter what I end up with. :D

fionndruinne
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
The 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM macro and 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM Sigmas are on my wish list for certain.:D

cvicisso
09-03-2007, 07:42 PM
... Be that as it may, to that end you'll be better served with a D50 or D80. Congrats;) let me know what you decide on.
Well, I ended up with a D70 instead. :D It should arrive Thursday, so we'll see if it's a lemon or not. It comes with the 18-70mm kit lens - which is apparently pretty good (as far as kit lenses go), so I'll be all set to go when the UPS guy drops it off.

Thanks for all the advice/help everyone. I'll keep you posted.