PDA

View Full Version : It's my birthday today, here's something for all of you.

No Control
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
No really, it is. See my profile if you don't believe me. :D

And here's something I just finished. C+C?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z93/sherlock_28/DSC_07380363copy.jpg

rawpaw18
08-28-2007, 04:36 AM
Happy birthday Drew.

Your lighthouse is crooked, even if the dune is rounded or the effect you used causes it to lean, your eye expects it to be vertical.
So I would starighten it up. I like the texture in the foreground from the sand.

Prospero
08-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Great Black and White. Beautiful composition.

However, it would be better if you straightened the tower. I think the tower is crooked due to perspective (the lines converge to the lower part of the image), which means you can fix it with the lens distortion tool in Photoshop (vertical perspective). This will mean that the picture is cropped a little, so you can also turn only the tower.

Happy Birthday, by the way :)

Rooz
08-28-2007, 05:08 AM
happy bday mate. tis a nice shot. agree with the straightening comments. :)

K1W1
08-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Happy Birthday. Has anybody mentioned the crooked lighthouse? :D

AdamW
08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Happy day!

I heard you Nikon folks had a tilted lighthouse over here, so I'd thought I'd come visit.....:p

No Control
08-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks everybody! And believe it or not that really is how the lighthouse looked from where I was standing, and I thought that straightening would sacrifice too much of the wide view, but I still do like this straightened version. Thanks again for the birthday wishes. :D

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z93/sherlock_28/DSC_07380363copy2.jpg

Turo
08-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I like it much better with the straightened lighthouse, great shot!

Oh, and happy birthday!

r3g
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
happy birthday and nice pic!

fionndruinne
08-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Nice one, Drew. I actually like the tilted lighthouse too.:D Has a kind of offbeat but interesting look.

No Control
08-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Thank you thank you thank you. :D I hope nobody thinks less of my contributions now that they know how young I am compared to a lot of the people here. :p

fionndruinne
08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Not in the least... I wasn't doing nearly so well at your age (but then, all I had was a disposable 35mm camera then:p)

No Control
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Not in the least... I wasn't doing nearly so well at your age (but then, all I had was a disposable 35mm camera then:p)

Well I'm no rich kid, it took me two years and many different small jobs (as well as a summer job this summer) to save the money to get my current equipment. Before this I had an F100 which I got at a very good price used and a few hand-me-down lenses from a cousin (including the 70-300). I'm so happy to be shooting digital now but I can't see myself shaking my love for film. :)

fionndruinne
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Yep, I barely managed my D40; it was the result of some hard work and scraping. I've mainly taught myself with digital, though; four years I spent with a little Olympus compact. It was time for a change.:D

XaiLo
08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Sweet sixteen or is it sixteen candles;) Happy Birthday Drew, and now all you have to do is straighten out the fence. And don't worry about the lighthouse jut blow it out. lol

bobc4d
08-28-2007, 06:49 PM
happy birthday Drew. did anyone mention that your lighthouse is too straight ? j/k

good image, what did you use to 'insert' the light house or create it ?

mugsisme
08-28-2007, 09:57 PM
*H*A*P*P*Y* *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y* *D*R*E*W*

Well I'm no rich kid, it took me two years and many different small jobs (as well as a summer job this summer) to save the money to get my current equipment.

Wow, what perseverance! Good for you. I bet you will love and appreciate your camera much more with all the hard work that went into getting it. Nice picture.

Did you make the second one a little darker than the first one?

rawpaw18
08-29-2007, 04:31 AM
Thank you thank you thank you. :D I hope nobody thinks less of my contributions now that they know how young I am compared to a lot of the people here. :p

Wish I would of started younger, but here I am anyways. I learn more from
you younger shooters, you tend to try different things and experiment more.
It will only make you a better shooter doing that. Keep posting.

Prospero
08-29-2007, 05:31 AM

I'm only 19 years old myself, so you really are not that much younger than some of us. Anyway, I don't think there's anybody around here who would think less of your contributions :).

I got into photography at the age of 16 myself. I bought an Olympus point and shoot (C-450), which I used for two years. After that I bought the D50. I also got the money by doing several jobs. First I worked in a Indoor Ski Center (pretty low wage, but you could ski for free), after that I harvested tomatoes, and for the past two years I have been working in a restaurant.

achuang
08-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Happy birthday Drew, you have a birthday very close to mine and you have the same name too. I just turned 20 on the 25th of August, so am only a bit older than Prospero. I had a similar upgrade to him as I started out in photography around 15 years of age and had an Olympus C750 then changed to a D70s a little while after. Enjoy your photography, we've got plenty of years left to enjoy and hone our skills.

No Control
08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Happy birthday Drew, you have a birthday very close to mine and you have the same name too. I just turned 20 on the 25th of August, so am only a bit older than Prospero. I had a similar upgrade to him as I started out in photography around 15 years of age and had an Olympus C750 then changed to a D70s a little while after. Enjoy your photography, we've got plenty of years left to enjoy and hone our skills.

Absolutely. I intend to be taking pictures until I'm too old to hold onto the camera. :D

achuang
08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Absolutely. I intend to be taking pictures until I'm too old to hold onto the camera. :D

Now that's the way to go, it's not just a hobby it's a lifestyle.

T06
08-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Now that's the way to go, it's not just a hobby it's a lifestyle.

That is a similar phrase that the company I work for uses. "It's not just a lifestyle, it's a way of life". I wonder what they'll think when they see my ass walking out of there 'way of life' shortly.;)

achuang
08-30-2007, 08:41 PM
That is a similar phrase that the company I work for uses. "It's not just a lifestyle, it's a way of life". I wonder what they'll think when they see my ass walking out of there 'way of life' shortly.;)

Haha, nice one. What does your company do? Good luck with what ever you choose to do after you leave.