PDA

View Full Version : Teleconverter Help...

paintballknight07
08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
I am looking to get a teleconverter for my nikon d40 but I don't know which one to get. There are about 5 different kinds. I don't care if it autofocus with my camera or not, manual focusing doesn't bother me. I am on a limited budget (no more then $200). Please let me know what you think. These are some that I have found, if anyone knows if they work great or no that would be helpful as well. Thanks.

- Tamron 2x SP AF Pro Autofocus Teleconverter
- Kenko AF 2x Teleplus 7-element Teleconverter
- 2x AF Teleplus DG MC4 Autofocus Teleconverter for Nikon AF
- 2x EX DG APO Autofocus Teleconverter for Nikon AF
- 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter for Nikon AF
- Tamron 2X Autofocus Teleconverter for Nikon

K1W1
08-27-2007, 05:27 PM
One thing to make sure about is whether your lenses will work with a teleconverter. Many modern lenses cannot use them because the rear element will hit the teleconverter lenses at certain focus settings.

coldrain
08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Best leave the 2x convertors alone, as they will degrade the image quality a bit too much.

The 1.4/1.5x TC's from Kenko are optically good, so is the 1.7x TC from Soligor. These should work with all lenses.

TC's from Nikon maybe might have problems with back elements?

TNB
08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I am looking to get a teleconverter
- 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter for Nikon AF

Do you ever plan to upgrade? Ever check out NikonUSA.com TC information?
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

Although I own the Nikkor TC-17E II which is out of your current price range, I have seen used Nikkor TC-2x (I can't remember if they were the TC-20E II, but I do remember they were Nikon 2x's) for around $60 at Samys in LA--check their website or call them. Nikon's website also appears to show that the AF will work with the TC-XXE II's on the D40.
http://www.samys.com

My guess is that the TC-2x's were probably selling used because of the newer TC-17E II.