PDA

View Full Version : Picked up new Z3 today

Marc87GN
12-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I just bought my wife a New Z3 today because she accidentally dropped her Coolpix 990 and the display broke. She was on picture number 4341 so it had some good use.

Anyway, I installed the battery and set the date and time and there is no display on the LCD or through the viewer. All I see is the information on the outside of the LCD and no objects to take pictures of. I removed and re-installed the batteries, new batteries, 16 mb card, 512 mb card and no display. It is as if I left the lense cap on and of course, I didn't. It seems like the camera is blind. If there is something wrong with this camera on the first day that I bought it, I will be getting something else. Any I deas are appreciated.

canit
12-27-2004, 03:55 AM
If I managed to understand you well, your problem might have arisen due to the fact that you didn't set the button which is on your display screen which browses through the modes of the camera. Look closer at the buttons and check them out...

Marc87GN
12-27-2004, 05:29 AM
If I managed to understand you well, your problem might have arisen due to the fact that you didn't set the button which is on your display screen which browses through the modes of the camera. Look closer at the buttons and check them out...

I think you might have misunderstood. My concern is withthe camera on, the camera appears to be blind. It is as if the lense cap is on when it isn't. If you are going to take a picture of someone, you should see them on the LCD or viewer, but the screen and viewer has a black background. The best way I can describe it is like looing through a camera with the lense cap on.

jbalcius
12-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I just picked up the Z3 about a week and a half ago. It sounds like you got a bad camera. It should definatly be displaying something. Playback mode is the only setting that doesn't display what the lense sees by default. (the switch set to the green icon around the power switch)

I'd take it back to the store and get a new one.

canit
12-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Yes take it back to the store and tell your vendor about the problem. If I were you I'd insist on giving you a BRAND NEW one because it seems that the problem is with the LCD and it's very difficult to get an LCD back to normal if it comes out defective.

Marc87GN
12-27-2004, 07:34 PM
I called today and they confirmed what you guys are saying. I have decided not to get the replacement and get a full refund. It's a bad sign when they preach to me how reliable a camera is and I get a bad one right out of the box.

I decided to get a Nikon D70. I have been reading about this camera and saw about 50+ sample pictures from it and it's amazing. It's going to hurt my wallet a bit, but it's wirth it in my mind.

jbalcius
12-28-2004, 07:27 AM
I called today and they confirmed what you guys are saying. I have decided not to get the replacement and get a full refund. It's a bad sign when they preach to me how reliable a camera is and I get a bad one right out of the box.

I decided to get a Nikon D70. I have been reading about this camera and saw about 50+ sample pictures from it and it's amazing. It's going to hurt my wallet a bit, but it's wirth it in my mind.

That's a nice camera for sure. So far the Z3 has been pretty good, but, I'm eventually going to go for the Nikon DSLR myself.

Marc87GN
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, we brought the Z3 back and picked up the D70. The pictures are unreal to say the least. 6+ megapixels does make a big difference especially when viewing them with my 19" Sony flat screen monitor. Now I have to move over to the other forum.