PDA

View Full Version : Night Picture... Please Help

paintballknight07
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I am trying to take a picture of the moon with my nikon d40 with a 70-300mm zoom lens. When I focus on the moon I can see the ridges and the detail and they are perfect, but when I take the picture, it is just a white circle. How do I get it to show the detail that I see in the viewfinder? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

jcon
08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Examples with EXIF would help ALOT. The blown out moon means your aperture is too low, and or your shutter is too low. I dont shoot moon shots anymore(since I sold Pana FZ20) but you need a mid to high aperture to get the detail and not have a blown out moon.

Again samples would really help.

paintballknight07
08-26-2007, 07:14 PM
how do you add photos and the information file? (I am very new to photography and this site)

Rooz
08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
I am trying to take a picture of the moon with my nikon d40 with a 70-300mm zoom lens. When I focus on the moon I can see the ridges and the detail and they are perfect, but when I take the picture, it is just a white circle. How do I get it to show the detail that I see in the viewfinder? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

white blob is the most common error in moon shots.
use the following setting:

Manual mode
iso100
-0.3EV
spot metering
Sunlight WB
aperture between f7.1-f11
shutter speed between 1/125s and 1/350s

the aperture and shutter speed will depend on the phase of the moon. so i recommend you start by using f8 1/125s. take the shot, preview it by zooming in on your cams LCD. if it is too bright then keep increasing the shutter speed until you retain the detail you are after. remember it is better to underexpsose a little than overexpose when it comes to moon shots.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1016/743067877_c08f083a5e_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/648381601_344e621a53_o.jpg

paintballknight07
08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
white blob is the most common error in moon shots.
use the following setting:

Manual mode
iso100
-0.3EV
spot metering
Sunlight WB
aperture between f7.1-f11
shutter speed between 1/125s and 1/350s

the aperture and shutter speed will depend on the phase of the moon. so i recommend you start by using f8 1/125s. take the shot, preview it by zooming in on your cams LCD. if it is too bright then keep increasing the shutter speed until you retain the detail you are after. remember it is better to underexpsose a little than overexpose when it comes to moon shots.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1016/743067877_c08f083a5e_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/648381601_344e621a53_o.jpg

How do you change this and what is it?

Rooz
08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
How do you change this and what is it?

EV=exposure value. not sure exactly where to find it on your cam. its not super important cos you can always adjust this in PP. i just find its easier to get it as right as possible str8 out of the camera.

if you have the 70-300mmVR lens, i found i got better results from that lens by using a focal length of around 270mm rather than 300mm. remember to try and use a tripod for best results.

Blind_Man
08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Also a few things.

1. Cover the eye piece with little black electrical tape or use the little cover (included in the original box) I think it is DS-5 to stop light getting in and ruining exposure.

2. Use a remote shutter release or if you don't have one use self timer.

3. If you do have a VR lens turn it off for tripod work.

Tip not sure if this will work...

Set it to the lowest aperture in AP mode, take note of setting shutter speed.
Then try bracketing around that setting.

I might go out experiment myself.

It is a full LUNAR eclipse in Australia tomorrow!

Corwyn
08-27-2007, 08:35 PM
well it may be a bit too late now, but.

D40s lowes ISO is 200.

I tried followig the above sugestions and I can't ge my camera
with 55-200mm to focus or even allow me to depress the shutter button.

Is there something wrong with my camera?

Corwyn

Esoterra
08-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I am trying to take a picture of my mom with my nikon d40 with a 70-300mm zoom lens. When I focus on my mom I can see the ridges and the detail and they are perfect, but when I take the picture, it is just a white circle. How do I get it to show the detail that I see in the viewfinder? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hey PBK, I have the EXACT same problem! BOy that 300mm gets in REALLY Close ,and shes so white and bright that my shots are comming out over exposed. Try underexposing by 2-3 stops and that should solve your problem.:D:D:D

calpchen
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I tried followig the above sugestions and I can't ge my camera
with 55-200mm to focus or even allow me to depress the shutter button.

That's probably because it's too dark for the auto-focus to work. If that's the case, then the camera will refuse to let you take a picture because it doesn't have a lock on focus.

Try turning off auto-focus.

Corwyn
08-28-2007, 04:13 AM
That's probably because it's too dark for the auto-focus to work. If that's the case, then the camera will refuse to let you take a picture because it doesn't have a lock on focus.

Try turning off auto-focus.

sorry, I should of included that I DID turn auto focus off.

Corwyn

Rooz
08-28-2007, 05:13 AM
if you are talking about the eclipse then focussing may be a little more difficult.

the normal moon is actually very bright so AF should not be a problem at all. try using MF first to get the moon right in the centre of your centre AF point. then use AF.

paintballknight07
08-28-2007, 05:45 AM
I would just like to thank everyone that responeded to this. From the looks, I'm not the only one with this problem ;) I tried everything out that people suggested and it seemed to be that clearist shoot was
f/8
ISO:200
Shutter:1/125
EV:-.3

It was pretty fun changing the settings and watching the changes in the picture. I learned a lot about my camera just experimenting with it. You can't be impatient thats for sure! Does anyone know how to put link in your signature? I would like to put flickr up like I have seen some other people, that way you can see a before and after picture. Thanks again.

K1W1
08-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Total eclipse of the moon tonight and what do we get? 80% cloud cover!
Bah humbug!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

paintballknight07
08-28-2007, 05:55 AM
The first time I tried taking pictures of the moon it was cloudy, I just waited for a break in the clouds. I got some really interesting shots with the clouds and everything, I think I still might try tonight.