PDA

View Full Version : help with some settings please :)

ssil2000
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi there,
i just received my brand new d80 today :) very excited, now i have a birthday to shoot tomorrow its going to be indoors so can anyone recommend some settings that will be appropriate for this setting, i will be using the 18-55 ed II lens.

thanks folks :)

SS

jcon
08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Do you have an external flash like the SB-600 or SB-800? With the lens you have, you'll want some sort of flash, assuming the indoor lighting isn't the best.

ssil2000
08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
not yet, i will have to hold off on the flash for a while just spent a lot of money on the camera and 2 lenses :( , built-in will have to suffice but i will make sure there will be plenty of light indoors.

SS

erichlund
08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
If you don't have an external flash, you can use the pop gun on the camera. They really are pretty decent. If you want natural light, then bump your ISO to 800, set your camera in A mode (not Auto, A) and set your aperture to the lowest number it will go. The see if you can get some decent indoor shots. If you are still getting motion blur, then you will have to use the flash. If you are getting rock solid, sharp photos, you can try stopping down a little to give yourself a little more depth of field. You may want to practice this before the party, so you don't have to practice during the party.

ssil2000
08-23-2007, 07:14 PM
If you don't have an external flash, you can use the pop gun on the camera. They really are pretty decent. If you want natural light, then bump your ISO to 800, set your camera in A mode (not Auto, A) and set your aperture to the lowest number it will go. The see if you can get some decent indoor shots. If you are still getting motion blur, then you will have to use the flash. If you are getting rock solid, sharp photos, you can try stopping down a little to give yourself a little more depth of field. You may want to practice this before the party, so you don't have to practice during the party.

ok, i also have the 55-200 VR would that be an option for this shoot to avoid the motion blur? just keep it at 55?

thanks!
SS

fionndruinne
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
A VR lens only corrects some of your hand movement, not "motion blur", as in the movements of those you are shooting. For that a combination of widest aperture and highest usable ISO is best, in order to get the fastest shutter speed. You'll want a minimum of 1/80 to 1/125 of a second probably, so use ISO 1600 if you have to. A good flash method for non-action shots, like the cake and such, is a lower ISO (400 or 800) and some fill flash (or "slow" flash). I used this for a birthday a few days ago, and it really helps counteract the harshness of direct in-camera flash (I set the flash compensation to -1, as well, so the illumination wasn't as strident).

XaiLo
08-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Put it on auto or program mode if you are not familar with the various setting. Then allow me to recommend "Understanding Exposure" Revised Edition by Bryan Peterson. One day is not going to be enough time to figure out how to shoot in low - moderate light conditions.

ssil2000
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
maybe that is best for now, but i may still have some setting ready to go to try it out, there will be a learning curve, but i do tend to get things pretty quickly ;)

thanks guys!

SS

Rooz
08-24-2007, 03:07 AM
if you aren;t going to use the flash...

Aperture priority and use the lowest possible apeture of the lens. plus set cam to:

auto iso:
max sensitivity: iso800
min shutter speed: 1/30s
high ISO NR: High
EV +0.3

that'll get you what you're after as best is posible with those lens'. the best option for you in future is obviously a flash, but a cheap way to get great low light capability is the very cheap nikkor 50mm f1.8, under $100 and a very large aperture gaining you several stops.

ssil2000
08-24-2007, 11:22 AM
hey rooz,
thanks for that, as for that lens it is quite inexpensive, would that be generally suited for that situation, indoor low light shooting? it may be a worthwhile investment for that kind of shooting, birthdays, kids, etc etc...

thanks again!

SS

ps - i got a backpack for my camera today, the lowepro slingshot 200 all weather one. really happy with it. :)

ssil2000
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
hey there,
i picked up the 50mm... hopefully the mrs doesn't check this forum! ;) hehe not that it was expensive anyway!!

so i took a few test shots here and it really does take in a lot more light, so basically i should just use the A setting with an iso of 200ish?

thanks again for the tips!

SS

jcon
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
That 50mm is a great lens, but I would've spent that $100+ towards an SB-600.

ssil2000
08-24-2007, 01:06 PM
i know but i will get the sb800 as a christmas present, i could get away with the lens but spending 300+ for the flash (canadian) would of got me into trouble!

SS

Rooz
08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
hey there,
i picked up the 50mm... hopefully the mrs doesn't check this forum! ;) hehe not that it was expensive anyway!!

so i took a few test shots here and it really does take in a lot more light, so basically i should just use the A setting with an iso of 200ish?

thanks again for the tips!

SS

that will depend entirely on the lighting and aperture you use.

with the 50mm you can use you widest aperture of f1.8 but be aware that this is a very narrow depth of field so there is only a small amount of frame that is going to be in focus.

ssil2000
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
yea i noticed that when i was testing it, I probably wont need it at its widest, i will find the middle ground and work from there :)

its a neat lens though, can do some cool stuff with it!

thanks again for all your help!

SS

fionndruinne
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Try f/2 or f/2.8 with an ISO of 400, see what kind of speeds you get. ISO 400 is still quite minimal in regards to noise, and will get you a faster shutter, and you may find that f/2.8 gives you more shots of the kind you desire, without extremely shallow DOF.

Rooz
08-24-2007, 05:17 PM
yea i noticed that when i was testing it, I probably wont need it at its widest, i will find the middle ground and work from there :)

its a neat lens though, can do some cool stuff with it!

thanks again for all your help!

SS

if lighting permits try and use f4 which is a good balance of DOF and low light. the lens is HELL sharp at f4. remember to use the auto iso.