PDA

View Full Version : sb600 vs sb800

dxrocnxj
08-23-2007, 04:07 AM
i'm gonna buy on of the two, i wouldnt mind saving the difference money between the two either. i'm a college student so budget is always a bit tighter than everyone elses.

any input?

Rooz
08-23-2007, 04:19 AM
what will you be using it for ?

dxrocnxj
08-23-2007, 04:23 AM
indoor, dark, low light rooms for concerts/ shows.
possibly some outdoor work, but not as much.

dxrocnxj
08-23-2007, 04:35 AM
http://a888.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/98/l_de154ab144af6970788bd173f60fb9bf.jpg

this type of environment.
haha thats me with my face in the mic.
my friend shot this with a 350D (dont remember what flash but he said $400)and i get astonished with his results all the time.

Rooz
08-23-2007, 04:44 AM
the sb600 will do the job well but the sb800 will do the job VERY well. the power output is pretty huge on the sb800. plus it has the gel filter pack and diffuser included in the kit, can act as your off camera flash commander, (since the d40 doesnt have commander mode), has the 5th battery for better battery life and faster recycling time and has a great LCD screen for adjustability. theres also a few other features it has that i never use but you may find handy.

dxrocnxj
08-23-2007, 04:54 AM
yeah i was just reading on the two and i think it was ken rockwell who said that the 800 has features no one really boters with, but it does help to know what they are. i went to the photo shop by my house yesterday and the clerk reccomended the promaster dx7500 2.0 for $230 and he said it really will go step by step with the sb800

K1W1
08-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Thom Hogan has a good spec comparison chart here (http://www.bythom.com/flashcompare.htm). At least you can see all the numbers side by side.

uncleskull
08-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Since you are on a somewhat limited budget, suggest you start with the SB600.

As you progress and feel the need for an additional flash, then you could add the SB800.

Good luck and good shooting!

LR Max
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I see you are running a Nikon D40. Buy the SB-800. And I'll tell you why. You can set this flash to SU-4 mode and then use it as an off camera strobe. Thats right, you can. The SU-4 mode reacts to any flash off of any camera to trigger it. Heck, I was using the flash off of my Sony W50 P&S earlier to do some extra work. That way when you start advancing your technique, you can have a good off camera strobe to work with.

Anywho, just a thought about that.

tcadwall
08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Our local camera shop is selling the SB600 for $199. I buy certain Promaster products, but I wouldn't buy that flash unless I knew for certain that it was going to perform.

Just the chance of any incompatibility isn't cool. Not only that but even though it says TTL, is that the same as iTTL? hmmmm And does it work as a controller (if comparing to the SB-800) for multiple flashes? Is it really as powerful?

Hmmm

I would drop a couple hundred on the SB-600. I still am quite pleased with mine after using it for a year. And the last time this subject was up, I think I may have posted a shot that showed an example of how well the flash worked as a shadow fill on a harsh sunny afternoon concert.

JBO
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I am in the same boat you are in. I am going to get the Sb 800 because as soon as I bring the sb-600 home I am going to wonder why i didnt just pay the extra money for it

jcon
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I suggest the SB-800. Why? Because I own it! LOL Just kdding...

I would suggest it because you said your main shooting is in concert settings, and the sample you provided, looks to have pretty harsh lighting. So the SB-800 would offer the extra power, and faster recycle time you would need for that type of setting.

It really is worth the extra money.

SUITEFREAK
08-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry to highjack your post, but I am also debating between the 2. I have heard that the 800 has a lot bigger learning curve than the 600, and that the manual included with the 600 is a lot more concise than the 800. Obviously I am a beginner, but that's what woried me about getting the 800. So with that said, would you all still recommend the 800 to someone like me? My thinking is that the flash is of no use if I can't figure out the settigs, how to use it, set it, etc. What would you recommend to someone in my position? Someone suggested I get the 600 just because the manual included in it is supposedly so much better than the 800's manual. Then they said once I'm comfortble with that I can trade up to the 800. Any thoughts on this?

Rooz
08-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I have heard that the 800 has a lot bigger learning curve than the 600, and that the manual included with the 600 is a lot more concise than the 800.?

what a load of rubbish. they both work exactly the same way. you turn them on, slip it into the hotshoe and they work. end of story. you can get fancier and more complex with the sb800 but only if you WANT to.

if you have the budget then get the sb800 without fear of the learning curve at all.

K1W1
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I have heard that the 800 has a lot bigger learning curve than the 600, and that the manual included with the 600 is a lot more concise than the 800.

The manuals are available for download from Nikon. Why not get a copy of both an have a read.

LR Max
08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Oh my goodness...

The "Easy readability" of the manual should NOT be a concern for you. Flash performance is what you should be worrying about. These flashes have been around long enough that there is plenty of extra information all over the internet to fill in any gaps you might have.

Sure, the SB-800 has a steeper learning curve, but only because it has more features and is more capable as a flash. Obviously an advanced piece of equipment is going to have more buttons, menus, and other shenanigans.

In terms of ease of use, extremely easy. You just pop it on, turn it on, and then go. Both flashes allow for this. But as you grow as a photographer, the SB-800 will allow you to do more since it has those extra features. Just something to keep in mind.

SUITEFREAK
08-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Oh my goodness...

The "Easy readability" of the manual should NOT be a concern for you. Flash performance is what you should be worrying about. These flashes have been around long enough that there is plenty of extra information all over the internet to fill in any gaps you might have.

Sure, the SB-800 has a steeper learning curve, but only because it has more features and is more capable as a flash. Obviously an advanced piece of equipment is going to have more buttons, menus, and other shenanigans.

In terms of ease of use, extremely easy. You just pop it on, turn it on, and then go. Both flashes allow for this. But as you grow as a photographer, the SB-800 will allow you to do more since it has those extra features. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks everyone. :)You talked me into it -- I'll get the 800. And I will download the manuals to compare the two anyway...