PDA

View Full Version : $1,400 Budget

Jalva22
08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm wanting to purchase my first DSLR in the next couple of months. For a long time, I have gone back and forth between the D80 and the Canon 30D. I had almost set my mind on the Canon, but I see difficulty getting the camera and a good quality standard zoom with my budget. It appears to me that Nikon has more quality standard zooms in the sub-$500 price range than Canon (thinking 17-55 or 24-70). So, now I'm leaning back toward the D80, which I have really liked from the beginning. I just don't want to settle on the lens, and when I look at Canon's lineup it seems I'm jumping into the over $600 range very quickly. If it's the same with Nikon, please let me know! Maybe I'm just asking too much.

Interests: Learning the art of portraiture, with flash. Also, illuminated building exteriors at night (think Disney World!).

So, given my budget and interests, what would be your recommendation of a camera/lens combo? Neither of my interests will require much in the telephoto range. Most of my shots at Disney World in the past have been in the 40-50mm range with a Panasonic FZ15. Am I just asking too much and need to step down to the D40/xti range?

Thanks for your patience!

Indecisive as Ever
Jim

fionndruinne
08-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Hmm. If you haven't already, expand your lens scouting to Sigma, which makes a good selection of lenses for Nikon. And Canon as well, but I've heard of AF issues between Canon cameras and Sigma lenses.

You're not asking too much; it just depends on how good you want your lenses to be. You can still produce a stunning image with a D40(x) and a quality Nikkor or Sigma lens, but you may find yourself wanting some of the D80's features. Then again, if not, the quality of the image will be determined by the lensing, so consider a cheaper camera. Both Nikon's and Canon's entry-level DSLRs have excellent image quality.

jcon
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Im not looking at prices, but I believe this will be close to your budget.

Nikon D80
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 (the new one)

I would also suggest one of Nikons AMAZING speedlights. I know you said non flash, but you will be very impressed with one of the SB speedlights. Maybe the SB-600 for now until you have more to throw at the SB-800. Also, the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D is cheap at around $100.

Just my suggestions though. I am positive some will disagree.

XaiLo
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) $874.95
D80 @B&H photovideo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=d80&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t)

Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S Autofocus Lens $299.95
24-85mm @B&H photovideo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=24-85mm&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t)

24-85mm revieiw @ bythom.com (http://www.bythom.com/2485lens.htm)

SB-600 Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash (Guide No. 98'/30 m at 35mm) $179.95
SB-600 Speedlight @B&H photovideo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=sb600&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t)

Total $1354.85 with enough change left over to cover shipping

That pretty much gives you what your looking for the lens is nice and sharp with good color. hth :)

Rooz
08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm wanting to purchase my first DSLR in the next couple of months. For a long time, I have gone back and forth between the D80 and the Canon 30D. I had almost set my mind on the Canon, but I see difficulty getting the camera and a good quality standard zoom with my budget.

sigma 18-50mm f2.8 will also fit onto the 30d and is an excellent walkaround lens. so if you had your mind set on canon, look into this lens with the 30d aswell. i'd imagine with the 40d out now there will be some bargains on the 30d, (and probaby d80 aswell), in the coming weeks and months.

regardless of what body you are going to purchase, i think its worth waiting a few weeks until the dust settles cos you may save yourself a bit of money on these bodies.

Jalva22
08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the responses! One more question. I am interested in using flash for the portraits, so the D80 is definitely in my mind for that reason. I'm a little concerned, though, about the high iso performance for when I'm shooting the illuminated theme park building exteriors that I'm interested in. My question is, since those shots will be tripod based and the subject will be stationary, I'm assuming I can keep my iso low enough that the high iso complaints wouldn't be a factor. Is that correct?

I do plan on waiting until around Oct 1 to purchase so as to milk any price reductions that may come along.

jcon
08-23-2007, 08:20 PM
ISO shouldn't be an issue with your shooting needs.

DonSchap
08-23-2007, 08:24 PM
The 30D is going to drop through the floor in price, based on the new releases. You'll probably be able to get it or the D80 for less than $700. :D

Canon and Nikon have just driven the market to a whole new level ... quick discount. Shelf space costs money in these stores. They will be priced to move fast ... to make room for the new models.

Jalva22
08-24-2007, 06:15 AM
The 30D is going to drop through the floor in price, based on the new releases. You'll probably be able to get it or the D80 for less than $700. :D

Canon and Nikon have just driven the market to a whole new level ... quick discount. Shelf space costs money in these stores. They will be priced to move fast ... to make room for the new models.

That is my plan, at least until early Oct. I have a Nov trip and want to have plenty of time to work with it before that.

Re the prices dropping through the floor: I hope you're right, but I was scanning prices on 20D's yesterday at Beach and others and it looks like they're holding value pretty well still (at least new ones). Wouldn't sub-$700 pretty well price the xti and D40's out of the market? I'd be very happy with $850 and a fall rebate for the Canon, or $775 or so on the D80.