PDA

View Full Version : My New D40x

vroomr
08-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Enjoying my new camera with the 18-135 Nikkor, and I have a comment and a question. I think Nikon erred a bit in not making red-eye reduction the default for the Portrait and Child programs. I know I can switch that feature on, but it doesn't get remembered through restarts. Not a big deal, but what were they thinking?

Also, is there some kind of screen or film I can put on the LED screen to protect it?

XaiLo
08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I remember a post where a fellow photog, purchased a cover from B&H photovideo in New York. Give them a call I'm sure they'll be able to help you out, it was about $29.00 if I remember correctly.

The red-eye reduction on the D40 is a process rather then an on/off function. I'll speculate that the process would produce less than desireable results in pictures where it would not be needed.

Lastly Congrats, on the camera and happy shooting. Look for to you sharing some pics with us. Stop by the "Some D40 Pics" soon.:)

rawpaw18
08-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the forum first of all.

If red-eye is major problem you may want to look into addtional flash SB400 or SB600. With the flash up a little higher red-eye is less of a problem, or you could turn on the red eye reduction mode feature like you mentioned.

You will have all sort of options to set the way you like, it does take a while to remember all of them every time you shoot. But that is the fun of the DSLR, you can control it all.

Enjoy, and post some of your shots on the Nikon POTD thread.

rawpaw18
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
XAILO was typing while I was.
I see X is trying to get you on the D40 thread, that would be great too!
But feel free to hang out with us common folk too!:D

K1W1
08-22-2007, 04:26 PM
I know I can switch that feature on, but it doesn't get remembered through restarts.

On the D50 the flash settings stay remembered so if you have it set to red eye reduction then the next time you open the flash up it will still be on red eye reduction.
Does it not work that way on the D40?

vroomr
08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
It remembers on P, S, A, & M, but not on the so-called Vari-Programs, e.g., Portrait, IIRC.

fionndruinne
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Give yourself a little more time to learn, and you'll soon exit those so-called "idiot modes". A kinder term would be beginner modes, but then there are folks out there who stick with them their whole shooting lives, which is just... dumb, y'know? The experienced photographer knows a whole lot more than a digi-vari-mode ever will.

vroomr
09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Took some plain ol' snapshots at close range in P mode without red-eye reduction and... there was no red-eye. Guess the flash is far enough from the lens, at least close in. And, if anyone's concerned, A mode with a large aperture is my preferred setting, but sometimes you take snapshots.

fionndruinne
09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Give slow flash (also known as fill flash) a try as well; I'm amazed at the results I get, considering it's a pop-up flash. Usually I lower the flash compensation to about -1, and play with exposure compensation to fine-tune.

vroomr
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Are you talking about the Night Portrait Digi-Program, or simply using fill flash with P/A/S? I'm intrigued by the manual's use of the term "fill flash," but they don't say much. Will definitely experiment -- thanks. On my old Canon I had to crank down the flash also.

fionndruinne
09-10-2007, 06:05 PM
No, the 'night' mode also cranks up your ISO. I mean using 'slow' flash setting in P or other modes. Basically, fill flash uses flash to correctly illuminate your subject, resulting in a crisp subject, but exposes the image long enough to capture the light present in the background, so you don't have a yawning chasm of blackness behind your subject. A night portrait is a rather extreme example of fill flash (and a somewhat unintelligent idea to begin with... night portraiture is that popular?:rolleyes:), but there are many cases when fill flash helps in non-ideal lighting... it's the only form of flash I will use.