PDA

View Full Version : Rumour time

K1W1
08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
For those who don't look at the front page of DCRP.

Blockbuster week for new cameras ahead
If you like big camera announcements, then you'll want to keep your eyes fixed on the DCRP homepage over the next 10 days or so. Leaks have spoiled some of the surprises (we're don't violate our NDAs), but there are plenty more to come!

Lets see;

Nikon D300
Canon 40D
New lens fest
Pentax Pro DSLR
Affordable Hasselblad
Lieca DSLR under US$1000

Add your rumour or leak here or just make something up like I did.

:):)

Rooz
08-20-2007, 12:20 AM
the d300 interests me a little. a 5D replacement inerests me from canon, i;d love to pick up a 5D for a bargain price. but more importantly what interests me is an afs 17-55VR f2.8. this is pretty much the only thing that would have me interested in these annoucements to the point where i'm inclined to spend any money.

fionndruinne
08-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I hope a D300 isn't coming out quite yet... as was mentioned in another thread, it's quantum-leap advancements we really want to see, and I don't think Nikon is quite ready for that. The latest models, the D40 & -x, didn't show evidence of anything thoroughly new, just what the older models did, rather better. Not that it'd be wise to stick cutting-edge technology in an entry-level camera first, but still... if it gives an indication as to their focus, yes, a bigger badder D80 type would be nice, but not ideal.

N.C.F.
08-20-2007, 12:59 AM
I hope a D300 isn't coming out quite yet... as was mentioned in another thread, it's quantum-leap advancements we really want to see, and I don't think Nikon is quite ready for that. The latest models, the D40 & -x, didn't show evidence of anything thoroughly new, just what the older models did, rather better. Not that it'd be wise to stick cutting-edge technology in an entry-level camera first, but still... if it gives an indication as to their focus, yes, a bigger badder D80 type would be nice, but not ideal.

Sadly its how the business works for almost all electronics. As DSLR's continue to grow in popularity, this trend will probably only rise.

Rooz
08-20-2007, 06:43 AM
http://bythom.com/2007comments.htm

K1W1
08-20-2007, 06:55 AM
http://bythom.com/2007comments.htm

Yea but what does he know? I'm waiting for the definitive factual rumour from the buy it from here man. When others are postulating he is doing exhaustive in depth one hour long tests of new product using nothing more than his keyboard and a press release.

Oh, by the way did you hear about the latest Nikon full colour RGB sensor?

:D:D

Rooz
08-20-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm waiting for the definitive factual rumour from the buy it from here man.

lmfaoooooooo :D:D:D

e_dawg
08-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Yea but what does he know? I'm waiting for the definitive factual rumour from the buy it from here man. When others are postulating he is doing exhaustive in depth one hour long tests of new product using nothing more than his keyboard and a press release.

LOL... nice zinger!

I do wish everyone would just stuff more RAM into their bodies and give us larger buffers to eliminate the burst and write-to-media restriction that keeps us waiting for no reason. RAM is dirt cheap these days; there is no excuse not to include a couple dozen extra MB on the bodies!

I don't think the press release will include any more than some marketing line about this (Thom alluded to announcing better high ISO performance), but I think in actual testing a couple months down the road, it will be revealed that Nikon will have improved the noise and dynamic range characteristics from the previous generation much like how the D40x took the performance of Sony's 10 MP sensor to new heights. Basically, the D40x's noise and DR performance came in 2nd to Fuji's S5 Pro in imaging-resource's Imatest results and in dpreview.com's DR testing. I think Thom's wish for better performance at base ISO will come true. Even if we don't see as much improvement in RAW mode, Nikon's JPEG processing technique has improved to get the results reviewers are looking for. Hopefully, Nikon will even introduce a highlight priority mode like Canon did with the 40D.

Other than that, more VR lenses coming down the pipe is Nikon's key to success, and Thom already alluded to that in his comments. Hoping for a 18-135/VR, but again, as Thom alluded to, we'll probably see VR introduced on more pro-style lenses (and the 18-135 is definitely not a pro-style lens) to keep them happy.

coldrain
08-20-2007, 08:54 AM

I do not have too much hopes about the "full colour RGB" sensor patent from Nikon. While it will do the same as the Sigma Foveon sensors do (measure all colours in every pixel), the areas for each colour are cut by 2/3rd's. This makes the accuracy less (noise). So I can not see it bringing advances in noise performance. Colour wise of course things can be interesting (like with the Sigmas), in low ISO applications.

I can't see Nikon coming out with before later this year, I think almost full frame (1.13x) 18.7mp D3 would be more likely.

K1W1
08-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Golly gosh I should buy here more often.

"and the rumorered 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S G from Nikon"(sic)

erichlund
08-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Since we're posting rumors, here's an obligatory link to a translated Japanese (http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ff2f4d1x.at.webry.info%2F2 00708%2Farticle_20.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8) rumor. :)

K1W1
08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
"First first it does to refuse, but it is proper, in regard to the releasing which you offered, but there is no [be] which authenticity is verified is done here. Because is, here it informs about the contents which offer it receives leaving, in regard to contents as for judgment, you think that entrust to everyone who, read we would like to do."

Now that's a rumour!
Love it.

fionndruinne
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Heheh.

I wonder if Nikon (since Canon won't) will be tempted to do anything with in-body VR. Of course, that would hurt their high-end lens sales, but it would be a selling point, one ahead of Canon on the subject.

Esoterra
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Since we're posting rumors, here's an obligatory link to a translated Japanese (http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ff2f4d1x.at.webry.info%2F2 00708%2Farticle_20.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8) rumor. :)

Definatley an interesting read. That would rock if Nikon comes out with a CMOS sensor.. goodbye to high iso noise hopefully, which IMO is the only drawback to Nikon DSLR's- specifically the D200. They fix the high noise, and they will make a LOT of Nikon shooters happy.

TNB
08-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Here's a possible rumor (LOL): Kodak--> Sony--> Nikon or Kodak--> Nikon.

Quoted in part from: http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/SENSORS/name/ISSpr20070614_NextGen

Kodak’s new sensor technology provides a significant increase in sensitivity to light when compared to current sensor designs. With this new technology, users will realize a 2x to 4x increase in sensitivity (from one to two photographic stops), which will improve performance when taking pictures under low light and reduce motion blur when imaging moving subjects. In addition, this technology enables the design of smaller pixels (leading to higher resolutions in a given optical format) while retaining imaging performance

This breakthrough advances an existing Kodak technology that has become a standard in digital imaging. Today, the design of almost all color image sensors is based on the “Bayer Pattern,” an arrangement of red, green, and blue pixels that was first developed by Kodak Scientist Dr. Bryce Bayer in 1976. In this design, half of the pixels on the sensor are used to collect green light, with the remaining pixels split evenly between sensitivity to red and blue light. After exposure, software reconstructs a full color signal for each pixel in the final image.

Kodak’s new proprietary technology builds on the existing Bayer Pattern by adding panchromatic, or "clear" pixels to the red, green, and blue pixels already on the sensor. Since these pixels are sensitive to all wavelengths of visible light, they collect a significantly higher proportion of the light striking the sensor. The remaining red, green, and blue pixels are then used to record the color information of the scene.

K1W1
08-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Well, isn't it amazing what pops into your in box at times. (http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200708/07-072E/index.html)

coldrain
08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Definatley an interesting read. That would rock if Nikon comes out with a CMOS sensor.. goodbye to high iso noise hopefully, which IMO is the only drawback to Nikon DSLR's- specifically the D200. They fix the high noise, and they will make a LOT of Nikon shooters happy.
CMOS is not less noisy. It can actually be more noisy. That the Canon CMOS sensors are quite good in noise performance has to do with a LOT or R&D.
The biggest plus for CMOS is the reduced power consumption. And this will make live view possible.

The Nikon D2X(s) uses a CMOS sensor, and no one ever claimed it to be good at high ISO low noise performance. The Olympus E-330, 410 and 510 all use Panasonic CMOS sensors, and you can hardly accuse them of good noise performance...

And the Fuji superCCD shows that a CCD can perform great noise wise.
Sony has been researching CMOS design the last few years, with the D2X and Sony R1 as first products.
Yes, the new generation of Sony CMOS sensors may well be good. But CMOS is not naturally better noise wise.

TNB, what that Kodak "sensor technology" has to do with Nikon DSLRs beats me. The results from those sensors are rubbish for serious applications, it is meant for smaller applications like cheap compact digital cameras and cell phones.

Rooz
08-21-2007, 06:20 AM
TNB, what that Kodak "sensor technology" has to do with Nikon DSLRs beats me. The results from those sensors are rubbish for serious applications, it is meant for smaller applications like cheap compact digital cameras and cell phones.

i'm pretty sure TNB was just kidding coldy. :p

K1W1
08-21-2007, 07:15 AM
This is after all supposed to be a light hearted thread. I said at the beginning if you don't know a rumour just make one up.

TNB
08-21-2007, 02:48 PM

There are probably a lot of other things that beat you too and/or at least would like too. Could it be the quote regarding the "Bayer Pattern" and the new technology? Possibly. Or could it be that you just want to start some crap, again? Yes or No? Perhaps, it could simply be that this is a "rumour" thread and some other company besides Nikon builds Nikon's sensors. So why not Kodak? Or is that too "logical" of a jump on a so-called rumour thread?

This is after all supposed to be a light hearted thread. I said at the beginning if you don't know a rumour just make one up.

Although that's true, some "members" never seem to read the original post and/or care what the original post is about. Instead, they would rather... Engage typing fingers before sticking foot in mouth (or is that stick foot in mouth, then post?) Heck, for that matter (a certain member) can't even seem to read "correctly" and/or seem to comprehend the first sentence of the post to which he or she replies. That just really wants to make me go out and purchase a camera and/or take some advice from someone like that.... Ya, right.

Here's a possible rumor (LOL): Kodak--> Sony--> Nikon or Kodak--> Nikon.

Esoterra
08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
There are probably a lot of other things that beat you too and/or at least would like too.....

LOL you crack me up TNB...

TNB
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
LOL you crack me up TNB...
No problem, anytime. By the way, I heard another rumour--a certain Rebel XT owner is going to purchase a Nikon since he has had so much fun posting in the Nikon forums.

No Control
08-21-2007, 03:39 PM
By the way, I heard another rumour--a certain Rebel XT owner is going to purchase a Nikon since he has had so much fun posting in the Nikon forums.

Maybe then he'll have more fun taking pictures and will spend less time on the forums. :p

coldrain
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
This is not a forum for Nikon DSLR owners, this is a forum ABOUT nikon DSLRs. If you have a problem with others posting here, then talk about that with Jeff Keller.

And about that Kodak sensor "technology", it really is not for DSLRs. They combat the noise by grouping pixels of the same colour. This may mean less noise, but worse colour resolution.

So no, that is not something that will pop up in a DSLR. It will be targetted to very small and noisy sensors.

K1W1
08-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Guys it's getting personal and the fun has gone
I think it's time this thread died.

jcon
08-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Guys it's getting personal and the fun has gone
I think it's time this thread died.

Na! Just ignore the "detractor" and let's keep this going. Some people just refuse to have fun, no matter what.

I've enjoyed reading all the fun "rumour" postings, I hope it can continue.
Especially the Rockwell bashing, that's always worth a laugh or two!:D

tekriter
08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Are they really introducing helium-filled lenses?

No Control
08-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Are they really introducing helium-filled lenses?

That's what I heard. A 1000mm f/1.8 AF-S VR actually. With the helium added it only weighs as much as a D40! :D

TNB
08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
This is not a forum for Nikon DSLR owners, this is a forum ABOUT nikon DSLRs. If you have a problem with others posting here, then talk about that with Jeff Keller.
Who said anything about "others"? :D

And about that Kodak sensor "technology", it really is not for DSLRs. They combat the noise by grouping pixels of the same colour. This may mean less noise, but worse colour resolution.

So no, that is not something that will pop up in a DSLR. It will be targetted to very small and noisy sensors.

Umm, I guess you really didn't read the first post . . . or perhaps a few others as well.

Na! Just ignore the "detractor" and let's keep this going. Some people just refuse to have fun, no matter what.

I've enjoyed reading all the fun "rumour" postings, I hope it can continue.
Especially the Rockwell bashing, that's always worth a laugh or two!:D
Does this mean the Troll, opps I mean "detractor" is not going to purchase a Nikon? You'd think with all those other forums, someone would have some place else to go. ;) So much for that rumour. :rolleyes:

Esoterra
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Guys, come on... lay off Coldrain. He is nice people! :)

fionndruinne
08-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, you've got to put yourself in coldrain's place - he's faced with the strong desire for a new 40D, but it's so close in name to the evil Nikon D40, he's afraid to look at it!;)

jcon
08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Guys, come on... lay off Coldrain. He is nice people! :)

I personally dont have a personal problem with him at all. We've agreed on a few things and a couple people have even said I have "stood up" for him.

BUT, sometimes enough is enough.. especially when its clearly meant to be a "tongue-in-cheek" thread.

I think "he" owned a older Nikon. Deep down I think he wants to join "us" but feels he would be cast away by Canon....

It's OK Coldy come on over.... it's soooo obvious you want too;)

Heres my "rumour"... I heard that someone switched Coldys Canon with a Nikon D40 that was spray painted with the word "Canon". To this day he hasnt noticed the difference....:eek:

Esoterra
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Coldrain might come across abrasive at times, but he definatley knows a lot about photography in general- and we have all benefited from him sharing this with us. With knowledge comes confidence, and sometimes this might be construed the wrong way. Sure, I have had my differences with some people on this forum...well ok... maybe just Coldrain... ,but still, I think its healthy to have some adversity and challenge in the way we think. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is done in a respectful manner. From what I have seen Coldrain hasn't been disrespectful to anyone?

XaiLo
08-21-2007, 07:46 PM
From what I have seen Coldrain hasn't been disrespectful to anyone?you do mean in the last five minutes..., right:confused:

Edit: Couldn't help it K1W1 ...I'll leave it alone.:)

K1W1
08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Guys this is my thread so I will take the opportunity again to say please can the personal stuff good or bad. Personal comments are what ultimately ruin forums and this forum is way to good for that to happen.
Not everybody has the same sense of humour and not everybody speaks English as a first language so allow some latitude and ignore things that are O/T.
Please.

e_dawg
08-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Good call, K1W1

No Control
08-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Guys this is my thread so I will take the opportunity again to say please can the personal stuff good or bad. Personal comments are what ultimately ruin forums and this forum is way to good for that to happen.
Not everybody has the same sense of humour and not everybody speaks English as a first language so allow some latitude and ignore things that are O/T.
Please.

Agreed. ;)

TNB
08-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, you've got to put yourself in coldrain's place - he's faced with the strong desire for a new 40D, but it's so close in name to the evil Nikon D40, he's afraid to look at it!;)

Well apparently he already owns a Nikon. Welcome to Nikon coldrain! :D

What is the problem?
This is not the exclusive Canon fan boy club house, this is part of the forum of DCRP. And everyone, no matter what they own, or what they want to buy, may post here and also may have their own opinions. The only thing that is not tolerated is flaming and trolling.

So yes, Rooz has a Nikon camera. I have a Nikon camera! Big deal. I often get flamed when I post about something else than Canon, and that is not right. Don't start the same thing the other way around.

Esoterra
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
you do mean in the last five minutes..., right:confused:

No, I meant since DCResource Forums has been online:)

ON TOPIC: So the D3X will be full frame CMOS and the D300 will be APS size CMOS with lets say a 1.5 crop factor? Just makin sure I am getting these "rumors" right. Any guess as to how much the D3x and D300 will cost? With the price of DSLR's coming down I would hope that even the new technology would sport a 100-200 drop in base price. Just my thoughts!

TNB
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Didn't you hear already? Remember when Nikon gave away all those D40s? Well this time, they are going to give away new D3Xs to people in Las Vegas. Yuppers, in Las Vegas. Three catches though: (1) you have to be a member of this forum, (2) previously own a Nikon dSLR, and (3) be a resident of Las Vegas. I guess you didn't get that notice in the mail. Oh well. :D ;)

[And for those who don't get it, this is a joke so you don't have to move to Las Vegas.]

No Control
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
[And for those who don't get it, this is a joke so you don't have to move to Las Vegas.]

Hahaha that was good. I hope you do get that D3x! Maybe you could share the love and ship it over here for a few days[weeks? :p]

Esoterra
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Funny you should mention that TNB. I got my D3X in the mail yesterday. I went to take a picture of Mayor Goodman and got detained by the police because when I tapped the shutter release button to take a picture with my new D3x, water squirted Mayor Goodman in the face! HA HA REAL FUNNY, NIKON INC.

jcon
08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Funny you should mention that TNB. I got my D3X in the mail yesterday. I went to take a picture of Mayor Goodman and got detained by the police because when I tapped the shutter release button to take a picture with my new D3x, water squirted Mayor Goodman in the face! HA HA REAL FUNNY, NIKON INC.

LMAO... OK, now THATS funny!:D

No Control
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Well I just read a Nikon press release that said because the D3x is going to be so badass and macho that they will provide surgeons to permanently attatch it to your crotch area if you so desired. A useful marketing ploy I think! :D

[I hope someone else thinks that joke was funny...:rolleyes:]

TNB
08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Apparently you didn't read the fine print--something about filling the camera with "gin"--and using the same brand of gin the mayor advertised.

In 2002, he became a spokesman for Bombay Sapphire Gin, receiving a $100,000.00 salary which was donated to charity, including $50,000.00 donated to The Meadows School, a private school in Las Vegas started by his wife Carolyn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Goodman

[I hope someone else thinks that joke was funny...:rolleyes:]
Well it depends . . . on the lens.

K1W1
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Any guess as to how much the D3x and D300 will cost? With the price of DSLR's coming down I would hope that even the new technology would sport a 100-200 drop in base price.

The lady in the sandwich bar at lunch time knows a bloke who once owned a camera and he has told her that he heard from the barmaid at his local pub that the price is going to astonish people. Rumour has it that the D300 will be priced at current D80 RRP. The D80 will be temporarily withdrawn from the market and will reappear at Christmas as a "D50x". Nikon will be offering a free helium filled lens to anybody who has purchased a D80 within the last 27 minutes.
Swallow that one! :D

No Control
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Well folks, I just got a call from a very reliable source and here's what he reported. Our beloved Nikon, in an effort to help Canon owners the world over see the light that is Nikon dSLRs will be giving away 1000 FREE D300's to current Nikon dSLR owners who can convert the most heathens [Canon shooters] to using exclusively Nikon equipment!

So I figure we start here at the DCRP in the Canon/Canon dSLR forums. Who else wants to take Nikon up on this great opportunity?

K1W1
08-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I've got a Canon video camera. Who wants to convert me for a small fee?

Stoller
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Nikon News Today! :D
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/2007/0822_nasa_01.htm

Syc!:D

erichlund
08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Nikon News Today! :D
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/2007/0822_nasa_01.htm

Syc!:D

I guess they expect to break a lot of cameras. 76 Cameras and 39 lenses. That or they have a lot of old lenses laying around. I bet they also had to pay MORE than retail, because the alternate lubricant requires a custom build.

erichlund
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
OMG!!! There's an absolute feeding frenzy going on over at DPReview on the D1/D2/D100/D200 forum. You think this thread was tongue in cheek. It's absolutely hilarious over there. :D

Apparently, Popular Science (I think) jumped the gun a bit, but the link was pulled before anyone made a screen copy. There are still some search links on google that give partial text.

At any rate, the D3 is going to be FF, or all but, 12MP, 9fps (11fps at some fraction of 12MP), and will have a DX lens crop. Basically, a D3H, as the D3X is expected out next year with a much higher pixel count.

The D300 will be and APS-C sensor, 12MP, 8fps. The confusion stems over the line that says, otherwise the same as D3, which leaves the possibility that it will be a full size body like D1/D2/D3. I personally don't believe this last part, but it was in the text.

Supposedly, the "Official" announcement is at midnight EST (9pm PST). You people in the rest of the world will have to figure out from that.

Of course, it could all be a load of brown smelly stuff :eek:, but we shall see.

Rooz
08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
The D300 will be and APS-C sensor, 12MP, 8fps. The confusion stems over the line that says, otherwise the same as D3, which leaves the possibility that it will be a full size body like D1/D2/D3..

to me they are OVERsized bodies. the d200 is a full size and plenty big enuf. there is no chance of a d300 being that big. that would completely eliminate any consumer/ prosumer purchases.

TNB
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Supposedly, the "Official" announcement is at midnight EST (9pm PST). You people in the rest of the world will have to figure out from that.

I read this elsewhere...

Announcement supposedly to come from press event in Japan tomorrow:

D3

Full frame (FX) 12 megapixel Nikon CMOS
Live view LCD
9fps in FF mode, 11fps in HSC mode (at 1.5 crop factor / DX size)
ISO 200 - 6400 with LO (ISO 100 equivalent), H1 and H2 (ISO 12800 /
25600, respectively)
51 point autofocus system (15 cross sensor)

D300

DX format 12 megapixel CMOS (supposedly possibly the same as the D2X)
Live view LCD
6fps, up to 8fps with power grip (no HSC mode)
ISO 200 - 3200 with LO (ISO 100 equivalent), H1 (ISO 6400)
51 point autofocus system (15 cross sensor)

And five new rumored lenses: AF-S 14-24/2.8 G, AF-S 24-70/2.8 G, AF-S
VR 400/2.8 G, AF-S VR 500/4 G, AF-S VR 600/4 G.

See also http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=24424138 where the "specs" are still showing (or at least when I posted).

fionndruinne
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Wait, the D2x has a CMOS sensor?

All in all, if those specs are anything like accurate, these sound like some really juicy cameras. The outrageously high ISOs quoted for the D3 almost tempt one to hope for far better high-ISO performance.:)

erichlund
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that's basically what I saw, although I don't recall seeing the live view in there. I wonder if that's someone editorializing? Anyway, the only thing I don't like is the LO (ISO 100) instead of directly supporting ISO 100. Whenever Nikon uses LO or HI, it's usually not a recommended setting, and that usually means "good luck, but you're probably not going to like it".

Another thing I don't understand is why a grip would make a difference in shooting speed. Perhaps a power issue, like the add on for the SB-800 to give better response time. Personally, I don't care about that anyway, but it is curious.

Frankly, I hope they stick to basics. Put the gimmicks on the consumer cameras.

Riley
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
The Nikon D2X(s) uses a CMOS sensor, and no one ever claimed it to be good at high ISO low noise performance. The Olympus E-330, 410 and 510 all use Panasonic CMOS sensors, and you can hardly accuse them of good noise performance...

WRONG !
Olympus and Panasonic use nMOS not CMOS, they are all of the family of MOS sensors CMOS can never reduce the number wires per photosite, otherwise they cease to be CMOS.

An nMOS sensor will only use one N-type silicon to operate. A negative charge puts the transistor into the off position and a positive charge puts into the on position. nMOS then have significantly less wiring than CMOS, thus recovering sensor real estate, together with the concept of collecting wiring in a sub-surface layer, area wise nMOS has a greater sensor efficiency.

A CMOS (complimentary metal oxide semiconductor) is thus named "complimentary" because it involves utilizing both transistor types both N and P wired together, thus taking up twice the space, but using less power.
So if one of the two is removed, it would cease to be a CMOS. :)

Probably easier to make fundamental mistakes on this than actually know what you are talking about. I would therefore recommend other sources for insights into sensor technology as a whole, or noise issues in particular.

K1W1
08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Another thing I don't understand is why a grip would make a difference in shooting speed.

Maybe the battery grip has an extra 2GB of non volatile memory in it to increase buffer performance.
:)

BTW it's currently 09.38 on 23 August 2007 in Japan. Just thought that you might like to know that.

Stoller
08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
AF-S 24-70/2.8 G would explain why the 28-70/2.8 has been on back order that I have wanted. It's going to be discontinued I bet.:rolleyes:

K1W1
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't panic folks. I just looked here and found this statement,

"If they do, I'll be developing my critical analysis all day today. If not, too bad!"

So the critical analysis we are all waiting for will be developed as soon as the press release hits the desk. I wonder if it will contain samples (the analysis not the press release)?

Esoterra
08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
WOW...nikon servers are JAMMED! Must be huge aniticpation. All in all, I am curious to see how the D300 compares to the 40D. There is no question in my mind that the D300 has much better ergonomics from what I can tell, BUT I am curious to start seeing some comparison shots!

K1W1
08-22-2007, 10:12 PM
発売概要
商品名 AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm F2.8G ED
価格 未定
発売予定 2007年11月
予定生産台数 当初月産4千本

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/afs_14-24_01.jpg

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm F2.8G ED
商品名 AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm F2.8G ED
価格 未定
発売予定 2007年11月

予定生産台数 当初月産6千本
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm F2.8G ED

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/afs_24-70_01.jpg

商品名 AF-S NIKKOR 400mm F2.8G ED VR
価格 未定
発売予定 2007年11月
予定生産台数 当初月産2百本
AF-S NIKKOR 400mm F2.8G ED VR

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/afs_400_01.jpg

商品名 AF-S NIKKOR 500mm F4G ED VR
価格 未定
発売予定 2007年11月
予定生産台数 当初月産2百本
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm F4G ED VR

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/afs_500_01.jpg

商品名 AF-S NIKKOR 600mm F4G ED VR
価格 未定
発売予定日 2007年11月
予定生産台数 当初月産2百本
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm F4G ED VR

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/afs_600_01.jpg

K1W1
08-22-2007, 10:16 PM
D300

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/d300_01.jpg

デジタル一眼レフカメラ「ニコンD300」
AF-S DX VR ズームニッコール ED 18-200mmF3.5-5.6G (IF)装着時

D3

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/jpn/whatsnew/2007/img/d3_01.jpg

デジタル一眼レフカメラ「ニコンD3」
AF-S ニッコール 24-70mm F2.8G ED装着時

Straight from Nikon Japan.

fionndruinne
08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
That D300 looks very nicely sized... but that's no 18-200mm lens, is it?

K1W1
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
The D300 is exactly the same size as the D200 but 5gm lighter!.
Check the front page of DCRP or any other photo web site you care to look at. The info is everywhere now.

Rooz
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/

922k 3" LCD....dayum me ! well, assuming the iso is good there's my next body in a couple of years. thank God they didnt change the d200 body around, that always worried me a little.

i see nikon also decided to fall in line with the commericialisation of the DR system. lol

jcon
08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
That D3 has me drooling! Dual Memory Card slots... awesome!! I cant wait to test one out. Gotta wait awhile though :mad:

I think when November rolls around, I may pick one of these up, Although I would have to get a difrerent/new FX lens to use, since my 17-55 will lower the resolution to 5MP. All depends on the ISO performance.

I am pretty excited, though.

Rooz
08-22-2007, 11:43 PM
live view WITH autofocus...holy shit, now thats something special. makes live view worthwhile all of a sudden...especially on a 920k LCD. the d300 looks to be a goddam hole in one. looks like nikons stranglehold on this part of the market that they won with the d200 is here to stay for a while longer.

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/pdf/d300_2p.pdf

Rooz
08-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Although I would have to get a difrerent/new FX lens to use, since my 17-55 will lower the resolution to 5MP.

well, i wonder where that lens could go...hmmmmm :p

r3g
08-22-2007, 11:53 PM
That 24-70mm F2.8G ED would make a good team with the 70-300mm VR :)

jcon
08-23-2007, 12:04 AM
well, i wonder where that lens could go...hmmmmm :p

On my D200? :p Actually, depending on business and business loans from now Til Novmenber, I may sell both..

And I completely agree with you r3g! Although Id change the 300 to 200 ;)

fionndruinne
08-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Guys, these sure look to be some pretty special cameras. That D300 is flat-out awe-inspiring. So many pro features packed into a terrific size frame. I'm just going to drool over things like a 3" 920K LCD... those crazy ISOs (we'll see if they're any use, of course)... I like the active D-lighting. D-lighting is really a powerful feature; I've found it lightens dark areas with less resultant noise in-camera with my D40 than manually raising the lighting in Lightroom. So this new version might well be a good tool.

I want! Not right away, though; I'm still going to acquire some lenses first, let that camera drop a wee bit in price, and be happy sticking a Sigma EX f/2.8 or some such to a D300 a couple years down the road.:)

Providing it lives up to the hype, of course.

K1W1
08-23-2007, 03:35 AM
I suspect that anybody you wants to buy a D3 or D300 will either need a credit card with the name Thom Hogan or will have to be prepared to wait a very long time in a very long order queue.
If I were even half serious (and prepared to pay RRP) I would be at a camera dealer with my deposit when the doors open tomorrow, or online now.

Rooz
08-23-2007, 04:14 AM
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D300-Digital-SLR-Camera.shtml

K1W1
08-23-2007, 05:45 AM
The link does not work for me but I assume it's supposed tp be somebody offering D300 for sale.

XaiLo
08-23-2007, 05:46 AM
It's a D300 review.

herc182
08-23-2007, 05:48 AM
This post was well timed Rooz. Is it worrying that this has brought the most excitement / joy to my life than anything else in the last 8 months?

D3 has iso range of 100 - 25600? how can that be right?

Jeff. please review these :-). another standing order?

TNB
08-23-2007, 09:43 AM
The D300 is exactly the same size as the D200 but 5gm lighter!.
Check the front page of DCRP or any other photo web site you care to look at. The info is everywhere now.
It's even on Nikon's website. LOL.

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/index.htm

Esoterra
08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I love fishing!

I really hope people don't get stupid and try comparing the the 40D to the D300. The 40D is a great camera, but from spec sheets, it doesnt even come close because the D300 offers SO much more. after the 40D, Canon really hits your pocket for the next step up- 5D. Now, compare the D300 to the 5D and your giving Canon a fair shot. Full frame is a little tempting, but the D300 will blow it out of the water IQwise. Lets wait and see....

:cool:

coldrain
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
I love fishing!

I really hope people don't get stupid and try comparing the the 40D to the D300. The 40D is a great camera, but from spec sheets, it doesnt even come close because the D300 offers SO much more. after the 40D, Canon really hits your pocket for the next step up- 5D. Now, compare the D300 to the 5D and your giving Canon a fair shot. Full frame is a little tempting, but the D300 will blow it out of the water IQwise. Lets wait and see....

:cool:
Why will the D300 blow the 5D out of the water IQwise?
The D2x 12.x mp CMOS doesn't, nor does the D200's 10.x mp CCD.

I think the D300 will be close to the 40D IQwise, time will tell.
The D3 may be close or even trounce the 5D, the D300 is more unlikely.
The D3 will put up a nice fight with the 1D MK III.

Rooz
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
yeah, i tend to agree. i dont know what suggests that it will blow the 5d out of the water IQ wise...apart from the fact that its a newer sensor. its certianly more feature rich but that would be expected given the 5d's age.

i agree with chris about comparing it to the 40d. the d300, (assuming it lives up to the spec expectations...same can be said of the 40d mind you), is a step above the 40d.

as i said in another therad, these 2 dslr's have etched out different categories. the 40d has gone down to enthusiast level and the d300 has moved up a class...and with a price difference to match.

when you think about it, its almost like collusion from canon/ nikon...as if they have reahced an agreement that their dslr's will not directly compete with eachother. i'm not suggesting this has taken place, perhaps both companies have just done their homework and are making smaller market niches ? think about the price differences...

xti
d80
40d
d300
5d

some pretty clear steps there. not so clear in steps from IQ POV but certainly based on body price and body feature sets. perhaps where nikon has pulled an ace up their sleeve is the d40 series which is marketed just right.

TNB
08-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I really hope people don't get stupid and try comparing the the 40D to the D300.
I guess you haven't seen the following thread....

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33755&page=3

XaiLo
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Rumour has it an (unnamed poster) is already speculating how slow 14bit fps is vs. the D40... ooops I meant 40D:rolleyes:

Rooz
08-24-2007, 05:30 AM
and the plot thickens...http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1187901361.html

"A brief in-person evaluation D3:

I spent a little time playing with the new cameras, and the D3's high ISO is really impressiveI'll remain at least somewhat skeptical until we can get a D3 back in the lab and test it under controlled conditions, but Nikon showed some incredibly impressive prints at the event. They had enlargements that must have been 30x45 inches or more in size, comparing identical shots taken with the D3 and Canon EOS-1D Mark III at ISO 3,200 and 6,400.

After the disappointment of the D2H, I have to say I was taking Nikon's claims of low noise at high ISOs with a rather large grain of salt. When I saw the aforementioned prints though, I was literally flabbergasted. The D3 didn't just surpass the 1D Mark III, it far surpassed it. Well, that may be a little strong; the Mark III is a fantastic camera, but the difference between its images and those from the D3 was anything but subtle. As I say, I'll remain a skeptic until we can test a production sample of the D3 ourselves, but if the images shown had any basis in reality (and Nikon would be foolish to have doctored them in any way), it looks like there's a new leader in the high-ISO / low-noise derby, and it's the D3."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3/D3A.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D300/D300A.HTM

K1W1
08-24-2007, 07:25 AM
I've been thinking about D3 and D300's. The D300 seems at this stage to be enough of a quantum leap over the D200 for me to reconsider my hatred of CF cards then I got to thinking about the D3...

What am I offered for a 13yo daughter?
Very clever (top 3% rated, takes after Mum or the Milkman)
House trained
Sense of humour
Can cook
Likes Sport
Has passport and will travel alone

Oh, a couple of other things
Born to shop (Mum I think not the Milkman)
Generally orders the most expensive thing on the Menu
High maintenance

Can we start the bidding at, say US$4995.00?

If the bids get high enough there may be a bonus 10yo son thrown in and a set of steak knives.

jcon
08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
and the plot thickens...http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1187901361.html

"A brief in-person evaluation D3:

I spent a little time playing with the new cameras, and the D3's high ISO is really impressiveI'll remain at least somewhat skeptical until we can get a D3 back in the lab and test it under controlled conditions, but Nikon showed some incredibly impressive prints at the event. They had enlargements that must have been 30x45 inches or more in size, comparing identical shots taken with the D3 and Canon EOS-1D Mark III at ISO 3,200 and 6,400.

After the disappointment of the D2H, I have to say I was taking Nikon's claims of low noise at high ISOs with a rather large grain of salt. When I saw the aforementioned prints though, I was literally flabbergasted. The D3 didn't just surpass the 1D Mark III, it far surpassed it. Well, that may be a little strong; the Mark III is a fantastic camera, but the difference between its images and those from the D3 was anything but subtle. As I say, I'll remain a skeptic until we can test a production sample of the D3 ourselves, but if the images shown had any basis in reality (and Nikon would be foolish to have doctored them in any way), it looks like there's a new leader in the high-ISO / low-noise derby, and it's the D3."

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to see/hear. If this turns out to be the case with the ISO on the D3, I will overhaul my current set-up for the D3, without hesitation. High ISO performance is invaluable to me, and FF is something I have always looked at. The MSRP doesnt bother me, aslong as it performs..

K1W1, those better be some dam good steak knives! :D:p

K1W1
08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Jeepers I hope there is plenty of overtime available for those who think they want one of the new Nikkors.
I took this off Thom Hogans site (http://www.bythom.com).

Five new lenses were introduced:

* 400mm f/2.8G VR AF-S. This is the expected nano-coated update to the existing 400mm. US$8800.

* 500mm f/4G VR AF-S. This is the expected nano-coated update to the existing 500mm. US$7900.

* 600mm f/4G VR AF-S. This is the expected nano-coated update to the existing 600mm. US$9500.

* 24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S. D3 shooters will find this their primary lens of choice, I think. That little bit of extra focal length at the wide end makes a big difference compared to the classic 28-70mm Nikkor. US$1700.

* 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S. Surprise, surprise, someone at Nikon still loves us wide angle lovers (though where are the smaller, faster primes?). Personally, I think 14mm is going too wide for 35FF, though perhaps this is supposed to be a crossover lens for both 35FF and APS users (where it would be a 21-36mm equivalent). US$1800.

K1W1
08-24-2007, 08:00 PM
The D3 and D300 are so, like yesterday. Let's now get on with some real rumours.

What features of the D3/D300 will Nikon be including in the upcoming D80 replacement (D90)?

My speculation;

LCD screen
CMOS sensor
Dust reduction
Slightly crippled version of the processing engine

So the thinking is D300 or wait till early next year for a D90?

Rooz
08-24-2007, 08:35 PM
yes to all of the above. plus...

the non-AF live view, (like the 40D)
21AF pts
better iso with a new sensor
better metering system, perhaps even the same as the d300
5fps

its only a matter of time i think before the flip LCD screen happens aswell. imagine a flip LCD screen with the tripod live view mode ? now THAT would be special.

i wouldn't consider a d90, straight to the d300 for me late next year. anyone who has handled a d200 must think the same. its just so much nicer to hold and use if you have the cash.

i'm more hoping for an update of shorter primes and the 17-55VR. canon are even bringing their kit lens with IS now ffs. how can nikon NOT give us VR on the 17-55 ? that really pisses me the hell off.

RichNY
08-24-2007, 09:03 PM
i'm more hoping for an update of shorter primes and the 17-55VR. canon are even bringing their kit lens with IS now ffs. how can nikon NOT give us VR on the 17-55 ? that really pisses me the hell off.

What really surprised me is that they didn't include VR on their new 24-70 lens. This is the 17-55 FF equivalent and you'd think that D3 buyers would gladly pay for VR in this focal range. Canon doesn't have IS on their 24-70 either it is an 'older' (relative term) lens not something just released.

Rooz
08-24-2007, 09:09 PM
What really surprised me is that they didn't include VR on their new 24-70 lens. This is the 17-55 FF equivalent and you'd think that D3 buyers would gladly pay for VR in this focal range. Canon doesn't have IS on their 24-70 either it is an 'older' (relative term) lens not something just released.

agreed. one would hope that in the future announcement of the d3x there will be some more lens announcements which may include a VR lens in that range and some updated primes. however, in saying that, as you said new FF lens' released with no VR...it dosn;t bode well for a VR version to be released 6-9mnths later. i think thats just stupid.

e_dawg
08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
While it is disappointing that Canon put IS on their 18-55 kit lens and Nikon did nothing for the 17-55, 24-70, or Nikon's own 18-55 kit lens, I honestly don't think lenses like the 17-55 or 18-55 need VR. The 24-70 doesn't really need it either since it is intended for FF usage. These are all fast and relatively short lenses.

I would much rather see VR on longer, slower lenses like the 18-70 and 18-135. They need it much more than the fast, short & wide zooms.

Esoterra
08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
DPreview states:

"The compact MB-D10 simply attaches to the base of the camera. Unlike other grips, the MB-D10 does not occupy the camera’s battery space, so one can shoot with two EN-EL3e batteries, or add a powerful EN-EL4a battery into the mix."

Never heard of the EN-EL4a battery! Anyone know more about it? Is it as powerful as 2 x EN-EL3e batteries? Seeing that the MB-D10 doesnt occupy the battery chamber does that mean there is room for 3 batteries then - 2 in the battery grip and 1 in the D300?

Lots of questions... no answers!!! Time will tell, but if anyone knows more about this, plz pipe up!

K1W1
08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
DPreview states:

"or add a powerful EN-EL4a battery into the mix."

The EN-EL4A is a new battery using Nikon's patented until now super secret helium oxide technology (H.O.T.). The batteries are reported to be physically twice the size of the existing EN-EL3 series but are powerful enough for 4000 shots per charge or can be used to start a diesel engined truck using a simple (available as an extra cost option) connection kit.

Actually the battery has been around for a while. Check this from Rob Galbraiths site or Google EN-EL4A.
"The D2Xs will be powered by the EN-EL4a, a higher-capacity version of the 11.1V, Lithium-Ion EN-EL4 that Nikon has supplied with the D2X, D2H and D2Hs. The EN-EL4a is rated at 2500mAH, for a Nikon-specified 3800 frames, up from the D2X's 2600 frames with the 1900mAH EN-EL4."

TNB
08-27-2007, 07:45 PM
The D3 and D300 are so, like yesterday. Let's now get on with some real rumours.
So the thinking is D300 or wait till early next year for a D90?

Rumour has it that below is an example from the D3 at ISO 5000. ;) For more bickering, I mean discussion, visit:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=24566258

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/Beau63/165156_1188226760.jpg

K1W1
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
For more bickering,

Which is the very reason why I hardly ever go there these days. That site used to be the holy bible of the camera world but over the last couple of years it seems that it's developed in one big back biting and argument fest on the Nikon forums at least.
I still think the reviews are amongst the most comprehensive available but the forum leaves me cold.

Esoterra
08-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Ahh Kiwi, hearing you say that makes me glad I started my forum experience here on DCResource. :D

r3g
08-27-2007, 09:27 PM
That picture looks damn good to be ISO5000.

Esoterra
08-27-2007, 09:50 PM
those sample photos are probably fake!:cool: Seriously though, everyone is getting all whoopety about the new Nikons...blah blah blah blah blah. It's way to easy to get sucked into the hype of it all... so Im just going to wait till Ole' Keller throws out his sample shots! I hope Nikon doesn't talk big but deilver small!

XaiLo
08-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Well I'm going to buy mines [here]

r3g
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Cant wait for the first legit review.

jcon
08-28-2007, 02:39 AM
Jeff mentioned in another thread he probably wont be reviewing the D3. So we gotta look elsewhere:(

I assume he will review the D300, though.

K1W1
08-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Well I'm going to buy mines [here]

I hope that your kick back is good because I get the best back end rebate deal when I buy from here.

XaiLo
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM
lol... I tried there but then someone with a 2400mm lens mounted on a tripod said to buy from {here} lol :D

Rooz
09-01-2007, 02:07 PM
http://review.fengniao.com/64/644874.html
D3 100% crops up to iso 12800. :cool:

achuang
09-01-2007, 05:16 PM
http://review.fengniao.com/64/644874.html
D3 100% crops up to iso 12800. :cool:

Those crops show the ISO performance to be better at 12,500 than my camera at 1600. I really want it now.

Rooz
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
i think you should get one. :D

r3g
09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
The more stuff like this I see the more I want to start saving for a D3.. I want full reviews dammit!!

Shouldnt the D300 ISO performance be about the same seeing as they have the same sensor? Id rather have one of those lol.

achuang
09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
i think you should get one. :D

:p in my dreams, something that expensive won't be in my hands for a long time to come.

The D300 ISO performance won't be as good. They don't have the same sensor as one is full frame and one is DX. The full frame one will have larger pixels and can gather more light so will have less noise.

r3g
09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
And the crazy thing is I knew one was FF and the other DX.. Dont ask..Its not good to go 3 days without sleep :rolleyes:

achuang
09-01-2007, 06:50 PM
And the crazy thing is I knew one was FF and the other DX.. Dont ask..Its not good to go 3 days without sleep :rolleyes:

You're nuts, i can understand why you'd type something like that even though you knew. Go to sleep and dream about the D300. :p

r3g
09-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Insomnia... Im in zombie mode as of 7 hours ago -_-

jcon
09-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Insomnia... Im in zombie mode as of 7 hours ago -_-

I suffer from very bad insomnia... I got a total of 7 hours all of last week and 0 hours the past 2 days. Good luck with it, r3g, you will need it, insomnia is a massive btch!

r3g
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Ive had it off and on for the past 5 years -_- . Usually its not too bad because Im a night person anyway.. Speaking of night i need to buy a tripod :)

Gintaras
09-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Zombies, what insomnia??? I enjoyed reading your leg-pulling exchange this lovely morning. Guess what? I am still UNconvinced a Nikon could do what my XTi can!!!:p

Now after pulling your leg a bit… SERIOUSLY speaking I am not sure if NEW is always better. May be a stupid example is XTi vs. XT… some tests claim 8mp XT snaps better quality vs. XTi… at least 10mp sensor shows a bit more noise compared to almost clean XT. GO FIGURE…:eek:

HOWEVER as with every consumer you want newer if prices are similar. In my case XT stood for 560Euros and XTi was for 640Euros… surely my hand picked the newer one. I could not miss a larger LCD and better AF system. … HAHAHA… such are consumers, me including.:o

As concerns D300, ops, me thinks this is placed between 40d and 5d rather than directly at 40d…at least price wise. Guess Nikon is busy with D90 and Canon with 6d… HIGH NOON TIME:rolleyes:

K1W1
09-02-2007, 05:39 AM
HIGH NOON TIME:rolleyes:

Okay where did you get the super secret Nikon info from?
Nobody was supposed to know the the D3 advertising campaign was to feature Grace Kelly and Gary Cooper demonstrating the the camera can be used at "High Noon" with the fastest aperture that your lens has with not a hint of blown (as in "blown apart" or "shot") highlights.
I guess that you have just successful wrecked the most expensive advertising campaign in the photographic industry's history. I hope that you feel good. :D:D

Gintaras
09-02-2007, 06:55 AM
KiWi, this was Grace calling me this afternoon...:p

Gintaras
09-02-2007, 06:57 AM
KiWi, I also figure Nikon plans a trophy for Canonians switching over to Nikon… check this out

fionndruinne
09-02-2007, 02:31 PM
They were going to offer a renovated classic car to purchasers of a new Nikon D-series camera, but then Gintaras trashed it! :eek:

K1W1
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Less of the Classic huh. You still see XP Falcons driving around Melbourne almost every day.
The number plate sequence (ELK xxx) would indicate that the vehicle was first registered in Victoria (Australia) in about 1992. :):)

Gintaras
09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Fion, i like Classic in case Nikon does not mind me keeping my XTi... :p
speaking of which if Nikon would offer something like this i would re-consider.

K1W1
09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Why would you want a Ford Mondeo with an expensive body?

fionndruinne
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
K1W1, you guys must drive old cars! I haven't seen more than two or three Falcons in as long as I can remember.

Funny about the license plates... Oregon has the same sequence, with letters sometimes first, sometimes last (mine being of the latter). With the letters DFU, I'm hoping the traffic cop never asks me to repeat the last two units of my car's license plate!

K1W1
09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
K1W1, you guys must drive old cars! I haven't seen more than two or three Falcons in as long as I can remember.

The Falcon name still continues in Australia. The one in the pic was sold here in the mid 1960's as an "XP" model from memory. New Falcons have been updated (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1137385365703&pagename=FOA%2FDFYPage%2FDefault1024&c=DFYPage) somewhat.
Number plates in Victoria are 3 letters-space-3 numbers. The sequence started with AAA 000 in 1979 and we are currently up to V??-xxx so it's getting close to the time when the sequence will change.

fionndruinne
09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Interesting... and the Falcon MkII is high-tech even.:D

I suppose I figured an American company would have pretty much everything they make available in the USA, but with the complexity of the global market, that's a pretty naïve point of view.

If I'm correct on this, not only does every state here have a different method for license plates, but within a state like Oregon, different counties use different sequences. I am supposing Australia has a rather smaller amount of cars sold than here, where regardless of how frugal a person might be, we're usually suckered into the belief that they need a better car.

Which is not to say that my 1989 V4 Mustang is inadequate... just that a new '07 Mustang GT would be kinda nice. :D