PDA

View Full Version : SB-600 or SB-800

JBO
08-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I am looking to add a flash on my D80. I do take a lot of indoor stuff but nothing professional. Just wondering what flash would be better for me. Does the SB-800 offer something more that I would use as opposed to the the SB-600? I would rather save the couple hundered bucks and put it towards another lense.

Thanks, Josh

XaiLo
08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Here's a comparison chart check it out

http://www.bythom.com/flashcompare.htm

Alex D80
08-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I am looking to add a flash on my D80. I do take a lot of indoor stuff but nothing professional. Just wondering what flash would be better for me. Does the SB-800 offer something more that I would use as opposed to the the SB-600? I would rather save the couple hundered bucks and put it towards another lense.

Thanks, Josh

I chose the SB-600 over the SB-800 because size and price. The SB-600 will do everything that I need. My thoughts were, that if, IF, I needed a secondary flash after the SB-600, then I would purchase the SB-800 to have the remote commander ability that the SB-800 offers. You can save some money with the SB-600 and still get amazing results. The SB-800 was an overkill for what I needed, which was indoor pictures of family events, going to the local theme parks (Disney/Universal/Sea World @ Orlando, FL).

You can put that extra $120 towards a lens maybe. For instance, if you don't have the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 yet, then get that. That is a great portrait lens and goes for about $100-120.

Along with the flash, pickup Rayovac Hybrid batteries. They are amazing, better than my first set of Energizer Rechargables. Last much longer and no need to recharge before going to a shoot and cost the same, $8.99 for 4-AA.

Good luck and repost about your purchase.

aparmley
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM
IMHO, the SB800 is the way to go here. Sure, there are plenty of instances where the 600 is good enough. If money is really tight, then I say stop worring about it and just pick up an SB600 and start learning. The longer you delay the more time passes before you master flash. If money isn't all that tight pop for the 800 $120 doesn't go far in the DSLR world (lets face it, besides a few extra SD cards or the 50 1.8 or an external harddrive or a new camera bag or a few light stands and umbrellas or a filter set or an extension tube or . . . ok so you can buy a few things with $120 but if you aren't considering it all right now you'll never miss the $120).

K1W1
08-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Don't forget that the SB800 comes with additional filters and things that if you are going to use on a SB600 will cost you nearly as much to buy anyway so you will end up with an SB600 with accessories that owes you similar to the SB800.

swgod98
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I've got mixed feelings about this discussion. I agree that the SB-600 is more than enough for most people. But, I also agree that the $125 the SB-800 is costing is not THAT much more for what it offers.

The SB-800 is more powerful, has the diffusion dome, colored gels, optional 5th battery holder, commander mode, a few other modes that I dont' remember, and who knows what else.

The only other flash feature I found interesting (and would love to have) is in a Metz model (perhaps some other manufacturers do this too), where it has a secondary (smaller) flash built into the body, which is used at a lower intensity for fill flash. So, basically you bounce the main flash and the secondary flash shoots forward towards the target for that little extra fill.

The SB-800 has a bounce card built in though, and I've taken some shots with it that just stunned me. Soft lighting with no shadows...I just need to work in a little more experience so I can honestly tell people I know what I'm doing and can reproduce these great images every time!!! :D

TNB
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I also noticed one other thing on that comparison chart--the SB800 can be used without a preflash or with a I-TTL preflash. This also makes me wonder how much more compatible the SB800 is with third-party transmitters over the SB600 since it uses a preflash. I guess I'll have to follow that question up the next time I visit the camera store since I own the SB800 and was informed that some of the third-party wireless transmitters won't work with some of Nikon's equipment because of the preflash.

LR Max
08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
If money is tight, go with the SB-600 and buy a lightstand, an umbrella holder, and an umbrella. The extras for making off-camera lighting will change everything for you. You will get better pictures and open up more to your photography world. A 43" umbrella is about right. Thats what I run, perfect for just about everything. The lightstand and umbrella holder, as long as it works, its good (true for the beginner).

Froogle the SB-600. I did and saw them selling for like, $160 from a reputable source (can't remember who, but I remember commenting to myself as to how they were reputable).

Esoterra
08-11-2007, 12:44 AM
If money is a concern, get the SB-600, go out and make some money with it, and then buy a SB-800 later. If money is not a concern, just go buy the SB-800 and be very happy with it!