PDA

View Full Version : Lens equivalent to 18-200mm Nikkor VR?

500mL
08-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey all,

First off, I apologize if this was a double-post regarding the same subject. I can't seem to find the thread or the exact info I'm looking for. I recently looked up the 18-200mm Nikkor VR lens for my D40 and they're pretty pricey. Before I shed that good amount of moolah away, would anyone know if there is/are lens(es) that would be equivalent to the 18-200mm Nikkor VR? A friend of mine mentioned that the Sigma has one with an OS (I guess that's their image stabilization system) that would work with the D40 that's less pricey than the Nikkor VR lens? Thanks for the advanced replies :D

-500mL-

Rooz
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey all,

First off, I apologize if this was a double-post regarding the same subject. I can't seem to find the thread or the exact info I'm looking for. I recently looked up the 18-200mm Nikkor VR lens for my D40 and they're pretty pricey. Before I shed that good amount of moolah away, would anyone know if there is/are lens(es) that would be equivalent to the 18-200mm Nikkor VR? A friend of mine mentioned that the Sigma has one with an OS (I guess that's their image stabilization system) that would work with the D40 that's less pricey than the Nikkor VR lens? Thanks for the advanced replies :D

-500mL-

the sigma hasn;t been released yet, very soon. but it looks to be roughly the same price as the nikkor anyway. for that kida money i think your better off with the 55-200VR. it's $500 less than the 18-200VR and with your kit lens you cover the same focal range anyway.

sure you don''t have the same flexibility of the "all in one" lens but $500 is...well it's $500.

VTEC_EATER
08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey all,

-500mL-

The Sigma doesn't have an HSM motor in it, so you wont be able to use auto focus on your D40.

So... No, there isn't a comparable lens to the Nikkor 18-200 VR for your D40.

Rooz
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
The Sigma doesn't have an HSM motor in it, so you wont be able to use auto focus on your D40.

So... No, there isn't a comparable lens to the Nikkor 18-200 VR for your D40.

it will have though.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3324

K1W1
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I suspect that in future on Sigma's OS lenses OS will imply that they have HSM as well.
When you think about it the OS must have several motors to work the lens stabilisation so it would be completely stupid to design a new lens from scratch with those then leave out some sort of internal focus motor especially now it's obvious the body screw driven motors are a thing of the past on Nikons at least.
It's just going to be another trap for young players in the photography world.

Jason25
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
I suspect that in future on Sigma's OS lenses OS will imply that they have HSM as well.
When you think about it the OS must have several motors to work the lens stabilisation so it would be completely stupid to design a new lens from scratch with those then leave out some sort of internal focus motor especially now it's obvious the body screw driven motors are a thing of the past on Nikons at least.
It's just going to be another trap for young players in the photography world.

.... now if Nikon would just get that 80-400 VR with AF-S on the market..... :D

e_dawg
08-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey all,

-500mL-

Try this thread for some recent discussion on the 18-200/VR: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33315&page=2

Basically, the Sigma is not a compelling alternative to the Nikon because (1) it has slightly more image quality issues, and (2) it is similar in price to the Nikon. Why would you spend almost the same $ and get a slightly inferior product?

500mL
08-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Try this thread for some recent discussion on the 18-200/VR: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33315&page=2

Basically, the Sigma is not a compelling alternative to the Nikon because (1) it has slightly more image quality issues, and (2) it is similar in price to the Nikon. Why would you spend almost the same $ and get a slightly inferior product?

Interesting. I didn't know it was going to be the same price as the Nikon lens. If that's going to be the case, then I should just definitely invest on the Nikon to avoid image or compatibility issues. I just thought that maybe there will be something else out there that will work the same/decent on the D40 without paying too much for it. But then again, something has to give. Thank you for all your input on this everyone. :D