PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D40 lens help!!!!

filip
08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
HI All,
I would really need some help here, and I would need it as fast as possible.
I am in NY for just one more day and I want to buy a good macro lens for my Nikon D40. Now, I have really no clue about macro lenses, but from what I understood there are only a few choices...
I have found that 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor is a good lens but it has no autofocus on my D40.
The AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED looks like a great lens but it is a bit expensive.
Someone said the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 AF Macro Auto Focus Lens is also very good, but I don't know if it is compatible with my camera...probably won't AF either.
What do you suggest me? Is there something else? I would appreatiate any short or quick anser :) or longer if you have time :)
I don't know if I really need autofocus and if it is that important, but I am a complete novice to SLR...
Thank you all...
Best regards
Filip

Rooz
08-04-2007, 08:51 PM
sigma 150mm f2.8 HSM. one of the best long range macro lens' on the market and a little cheaper than the nikkor, plus more range. (no VR though).the tamron will not AF on the d40.

filip
08-10-2007, 06:10 PM
thanks for the advie, but is it possible that no one else doesn't want to waste a minute to give me an opinion???

fionndruinne
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
It is possible to shoot macro without autofocus, in fact fairly easy, but that's up to you. I'm not very knowledgeable in macro lenses, but your best bet will probably be a Sigma with the HSM (hypersonic motor, compatible with the D40), such as the one Rooz recommended.

Rooz
08-10-2007, 06:27 PM
thanks for the advie, but is it possible that no one else doesn't want to waste a minute to give me an opinion???

there are only 2 options that will AF. the sigma 150mm or the nikkor 105mmVR. all other macro lens' you will need to MF. the other alternative is to buy a close up macro filter or kenko extension tubes to fit to your kit lens.

XaiLo
08-10-2007, 07:53 PM

I wouldn't say that at all I actually missed this post and as Rooz has already noted the two autofocusing possibilities have already been suggested. Low cost alternatives I use the Hoya close-up macro set which can be used with the 18-55mm kit lens and for getting really up close I suggest the Raynox DCR-250 macro lens Specs:

Magnification : 2.5X - approximately +8 (4 1/4" minimum distance from subject)
Lens construction : 2G/3E Optical coated glass elements
Front filter size : 49mm
Rear threads size : 43mm
Size/Weight : DCR-250 53x18mm/60g. Comes with Universal snap-on style ring for diameters 52mm - 67mm, lens caps, and case.

Can be found here a lensmateonline.com for $45.95 (http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html)

Check out the last pages of the "Some S3 Pics" thread and you'll see some of downtroddens fine work with this lens. hth

P.S. you always have the option of manually focusing with the Tamron 90mm a fine choice.