PDA

View Full Version : New D80 - USA or other ?

Sole Shooter
08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Ok, so I receive my D80 w/ 18 - 55 kit lens from Beach Camera on Tuesday. I open the box and everything seems to be there (new in it's orginal packaging). Only one thing bothers me, there are at least two white oval stickers (w/ black lettering), one on the packet containing the s/w and manuals and the other (I believe) on one of the cable packets. Anyway, these stickers have the letters "AU" on them. Does this mean the camera was destined for Australia vs. "US"?? The warrenty card was in the box with a US address (Colorado, I think) and I did register the camera and lens online last night w/o problems. Am I worried about nothing??

XaiLo
08-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Beach Camera, is on the exceptional list here, I'd call them and ask them what gives... you can call Nikon and they should be able to tell you what the labels mean... My label was black w/gold or yellow lettering. hth

Sole Shooter
08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called Nikon and spoke to their tech. support (seemed like best option). The guy said they have no way to tell even w/ S/N whether a camera is USA or gray market. He did say to look at the UPC label and see if it contains a "(U)" followed by the camera body's S/N. Everything must match. So, I'll check when I get home.

Rooz
08-03-2007, 03:59 PM
you're one of the lucky ones. if it was marked AU then it was bound for australia which means that the quality will be infinately better. manufacturers generally ensure anything australia bound is of a much higher standard to satisfy more intelligent owners.

jcon
08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
you're one of the lucky ones. if it was marked AU then it was bound for australia which means that the quality will be infinately better. manufacturers generally ensure anything australia bound is of a much higher standard to satisfy more intelligent owners.

LOL:D:D

*Leaves to go play with D200*:p

Sole Shooter
08-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Oh REEEALY?

Well, checked the box and it only has some generic UPC codes on the bottom one for the camera the other for the lens. Called Nikon again and was told to sent it to their repair fac. w/ a note to verify product is for US market (based on S/Ns). West coast is in El Segundo only a few blocks from my work. So, on Monday I will call and ask if they allow walk-in drop-offs.

tim11
08-03-2007, 06:45 PM
....anything australia bound is of a much higher standard to satisfy more intelligent owners.

LOL :D:D:D
:eek::p:(:mad:;):rolleyes:

tekriter
08-03-2007, 08:09 PM

But since it ended up in the Northern Hemisphere everything on it will be backwards - lenses thread on backwards, etc.

And if you take the camera on summer vacation, all your beach pictures will have snow in them. Just the opposite for your Christmas pics - the elves will be wearing Speedos.

Worst of all, though - you will THINK you know everything about using the camera, but...

:D

K1W1
08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
All those features are correct but what hasn't been mentioned is that Australian Nikons are considerably more expensive that USA Nikons so rather than be upset just put it on eBay and make a profit.

As far as the summer snow and upside down issues are concerned we all know one person who actually thrives on the technique and would be able to produce thousands of stunning images as long as you buy from here. (http://flickrvision.com) :)

XaiLo
08-03-2007, 09:12 PM

LOL http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/gifs/stranded.gifhttp://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/gifs/cam.gifhttp://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/gifs/moto.gifhttp://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/gifs/cam3.gif

Sole Shooter
08-03-2007, 10:50 PM
All those features are correct but what hasn't been mentioned is that Australian Nikons are considerably more expensive that USA Nikons so rather than be upset just put it on eBay and make a profit.

I'm not upset. I just want to know I got what I paid for. If the camera breaks within a year and I submit it for repair and Nikon tells me "sorry, this is gray market". Imagine, and this from an exceptional rated outfit!! Anyway, come Monday, I will contach Nikon west coast fac. and see if I can drop by.

XaiLo
08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's an after thought, there must be another indicator besides the serial number. That is the only reason I can think of that Nikon needs to physically have the product in hand unless they charge for this service. :confused:

urfslam
08-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Check the plug type on your battery charger. Kits for the Aussie market will have the wonky Aussie plug. I bought my D80 in Dubai and have the silly English plug. :p

Urf

Sole Shooter
08-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's an after thought, there must be another indicator besides the serial number. That is the only reason I can think of that Nikon needs to physically have the product in hand unless they charge for this service. :confused:

Well, I have yet to talk to anybody at the repair facility. The two folks I spoke to late Friday were tech support and product info and They could not tell me US or Gray. The product support girl was the one who suggested I turn the camera in to the repair facility along w/ a note to verify "US market camera" or not. I'll call repair fac. tomorrow and ask if they allow me to drop-off and what if any they charge since they're right down the street from my work.

Turns out the electrical cord has a tag with "US" on it and standard US plug.

Sole Shooter
08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Update,

Went to Nikon this morning, and the girl said (after check it against others in her database) becuase the S/N starts in the 3s it's a US body. She ask where I bought it, asked about the lens, looked at the exterior box and commented the the box was consistant with kits sold in the US. So, that closes this chapter and now I can look to buy my 55-200 VR lens and a few other goodies. Still undecided about a bag to carry it all tho.

XaiLo
08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Sole Shooter, I'm glad they were able to help you out, without you having to go out of your way. I was begining to wonder about that send it in for verification deal. I really dislike it when you have to deal with the robotrons that can't see or think past the computer monitor in front of them. Well enjoy your camera and happy shooting. :) and send Rooz the stickers LOL :D

Rooz
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
and send Rooz the stickers LOL :D

lol...yes please. :p

Sole Shooter
08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
lol...yes please. :p

It's really small. I think you'll be disappoint. Besides, looks like it may not come off in one piece.

Rooz
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Besides, looks like it may not come off in one piece.

ahhh...the stickers are obviously made in the USA then. no need to post 'em. ;)

SantaCruz
08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my new D80 I just picked up from Kits/Ritz camera also has the 'AU' sticker on the plastic bag containing the software. Don't think I'll worry about it unless something comes back negative when I register the serial number w/Nikon.

P.S. Never mind the fact I have to read the manuals standing on my head.

Sole Shooter
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my new D80 I just picked up from Kits/Ritz camera also has the 'AU' sticker on the plastic bag containing the software. Don't think I'll worry about it unless something comes back negative when I register the serial number w/Nikon.

P.S. Never mind the fact I have to read the manuals standing on my head.

You too? Yeah, the girl @ Nikon repair facility said it's USA. Also, thing was, no one @ Nikon Customer service or tech support (both on the phone) was able to tell me if US or other, it had to come from the repair folks. Since they say either yea or nay on the warranty covered repairs.

Thanks for the reassurance. Nobody here seemed to know what I was talking about.