PDA

View Full Version : D40 shutter release question

mugsisme
08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
OK, for all you with the D40. Do you ever find that you can't take a picture? I mean, I have my daughter there, and I try to snap say 5 pictures in a row, and after the first few, it just won't take the picture. I am pushing the shutter release, and nothing happens. I thought that maybe it was the flash, but it doesn't seem to be that. I get a little lightening bolt there. I thought it was the auto-focus, but it isn't (I don't think). It is driving me nuts, and I am trying to remember if it only happens when I have flash on or not. (I think it might be.) I just can't figure out why it won't take the picture. (I know also that the camera has a chance to do whatever it needs to do, because sometimes I will wait a few seconds before trying again, and it just won't take it. I just wonder if the camera needs to be looked at.

Shawn
08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Could be a couple of things:

1. The flash may need a few seconds to recycle (dump battery energy into capacitors for the next flash use). This is usually worse when the battery is getting low and needs to be recharged.

2. If you are taking pictures quickly (either in single shots one right after the other or using burst mode) the camera's internal buffer will get full. I have a D50, and when I look through the viewfinder there is a R04 on the bottom right. This means that I can take 4 shots (because I shot RAW) before the buffer is full. Once the buffer is full, the camera will not allow me to take another shot unit it has a chance to write at least one of the exposures to the memory card.

Try and look for that R number on your D40 and see if your buffer is getting full.

jcon
08-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Even if the flash is recycling, it would not stop the camera from taking a picture, it will take the picture, but it will just come out dark due to the flash not firing.

K1W1
08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Even if the flash is recycling, it would not stop the camera from taking a picture, it will take the picture, but it will just come out dark due to the flash not firing.

Yes it will if the camera is in Auto mode.
It's probably the focus assist LED heating up and not working which means the camera will not fire until it cools down. On the D50 this happens after about 8-9 consecutive shots. Try going into the menu and turning the focus assist off. Of course the downside of the that is may cause slower focus or no focus problems.

BTW: I don't think that the issue is the LED actually getting hot but it's the best description that I have seen for the problem.

fionndruinne
08-03-2007, 01:23 AM
How fast is your SD card? Slow recording can be due to an older, sluggish SD card speed. You can check if this is the issue by watching the green processing light to the bottom right of the LCD. If it's solid or blinking while the camera isn't firing, it's because the camera is busy writing data to the card. But I think it's more likely a flash charge issue, though I couldn't say for sure, as I rarely use flash at all, and never for continuous shooting. Just a little fill flash here and there, when it can't be avoided.

mugsisme
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Nikon said it was the flash recharging. I have a SDHD or whatever that fast card is. I have to see if it does it when the flash is not on. I just can't remember. I know it happens indoors. Thanks for your help. :-)

tizeye
08-03-2007, 07:38 PM
It also happened to me - on initial shots, so wasn't buffer burst writing. Was at a wedding (not the official photographer) and was shooting available light during the service. It was marginal available light and had to concentrate on holding steady. What I am wondering is if was outside the aperture/shutter speed matrix in auto mode and the camera just wasn't going to go there.