PDA

View Full Version : New card reader / shopping for card, pouch

wingsley
12-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I just got a new Stratitec USB 2.0 10-in-1 Card Reader the other day from Sam's Club. I've been using an Olympus C-3020Z digicam since Nov. '01 and a refurb SmartDisk USB reader for a couple years.

The Stratitec was only about $19, which I thought was a deal. The actual unit only measures about 3 -3/4 x 2 x 5/8 inches. Very compact and lightweight. It comes with 2 USB cables, one that's 6 ft. and one that's 1 ft. long. The end that plugs into the reader seems really small. I don't know if the cable would be compatible with anything else. It was in a blister pack that was surprisingly easy to cut open and remove contents without destroying it. I can put them back in at any time. I plugged it in and launched iPhoto, inserted the card and downloaded some pictures. Once it got going it was pretty fast.

I've been thinking about getting an extra SmartMedia card for the Olympus (I use one that's 128 MB) but I haven't been shopping for any deals on one lately. I'm going to need to find a pouch for the reader and at least one cable and one card. For now, I tucked the reader in the camera's bag. I'm not wild about that arrangement. I'd sooner store it in a pouch and leave it in the home office unless I take it in the laptop bag.

Anybody know a good place to find protective pouches?