PDA

View Full Version : D40x w/Tamron of D80 w/kit lens?

nycgolfer
08-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, a newbie here. Iím looking to get my first digital SLR and wondering whether you guys think itís better to get a D40x body with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens or getting a D80 with the kit lens? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated

r3g
08-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Definitely go for the D80

SantaCruz
08-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I currently have both on a 'trial' basis, one to be returned. Glass aside, size difference between the two is significant. The D80 has more dedicated buttons for things like ISO, white balance, etc. Easier to make changes 'on the fly' without having to get into menu's, etc. Picture quality is excellent on both. More accessories available for the D80 as well. I would say, if you don't care about size, like to tweak settings on the fly and plan on future expansion get the D80. If you want a smaller, lighter, more straight forward shooting experience (use auto a lot), get the D40x. This doesn't come close to covering all the differences in the two but, as usual, JMHO...

Ray Schnoor
08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, a newbie here. Iím looking to get my first digital SLR and wondering whether you guys think itís better to get a D40x body with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens or getting a D80 with the kit lens? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated
In case you were not aware, the Tamron lens you list will not auto-focus on the D40x. I do believe that Sigma is coming out with a similar lens (http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/070725_1850_1770_na.htm) which will auto-focus on the D40x, though. It is not yet available, though. I would personally go with the D80.

Ray.

mugsisme
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey guys, a newbie here. Iím looking to get my first digital SLR

As stated before, the tamron lens will not auto focus. You can either wait for the sigma lens, or go for the D80. Have you held both of them in your hand to see which one you like better? the D80 is bigger in the grip than the D40. You may like the feel of it better.

XaiLo
08-01-2007, 01:55 PM
• What are you wanting to Shoot?
• How do you intend to use the camera?
• Does size matter?
• Do you just want to take nice pictures or are you wanting to really get into photography?

jcon
08-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Of those 2 choices, I would suggest the D80... clearly! Why have you chose the D40X over the D40? To me, there was really no reason for Nikon to release the D40X.

nycgolfer
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info on the Tamron lens not auto-focusing on the D40x. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere but obviously forgot.

I have a Nikon N80 (only have lens that came with camera) and I'm looking to get a DSLR. Most of my pictures will be family, travel, and sports.

That being said, I've ruled out the D40x and narrowed it down to the Rebel XTi (Canon ... gasp) with a Tamron/Sigma lens or the D80 with the kit lens, both of which should total about $1000-ish. The D80 sure does feel nice in my hands but having a better lens is appealing too!!!

Decisions, decisions, whaddya y'all think?

mugsisme
08-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Where are you going to buy the camera from? Why would you have to take the kit lens if you go with the D80? I personally like Nikons for many reasons. Why not get the body you want with the lens you want? You can also go to DPreview, and do a side by side comparison of the two cameras. But IMHO, I would go with the D80.

fionndruinne
08-03-2007, 01:39 AM
As long as you're opening it up to other manufacturers, take a look at the new Olympus models. While you get a lot of features and good picture quality with the XTi, you might not like the feel or build quality. The D80 has better ergonomics, and isn't likely to disappoint. But if you're looking to save a little cash, opening it up to a few more choices won't hurt.