PDA

View Full Version : how do you store the D40/DSLR for extended periods ?

bobc4d
07-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm new to the forums, been visiting DCRP for many years. I just purchased the D40 and love it. The weather has been horrible this summer, too much clouds and rain for this time of year for SE Texas so it makes taking pictures a challenge.

Anyhow, how do y'all store your D40 (DSLR) for extended periods ? I'm talking a couple of weeks. the manual says to put it in a bag with dessiccant and take the battery out. this seems like overkill.

do you remove the lens ?

do you remove the battery ?

how do you rest the camera ? on its back, bottom or side or does it matter ?

I have the D40 in a camera bag with the 55-200 VR lens on the camera.

thanks,
bob

longroad
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I keep mine in a good quality bag with lens on, facing down (LCD screen facing up).
Battery is usually left in although i guess if i was to store it for months (which i wouldnt), i'd take the battery out.

Rooz
07-26-2007, 11:49 PM
couple of weeks you wont need to take the battery out. definately store it in a bag though, no need to allow it to accumulate dust.

K1W1
07-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Two weeks without using a camera?
The only reason would be if I were dead so it's not an issue for me. :):)

VTEC_EATER
07-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I sent my D50 into Nikon for service earlier this week and its killing me not having it here. Its only been 2 days and I have already needed to borrow someone else's camera.

Hopefully I get it back before September 1. I have a wedding that day and I don't want to be tortured by renting a D200.

wh0128
07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I store all my camera gear in one bag. I put my D50 in horizontally letting the lens and body rest on padded slots where I put my old Canon lenses underneath it.

bobc4d
07-28-2007, 06:25 PM
thanks for the replys guys, it is very much appreciated !!
I store my D40 in the bag with the lens on it, in the bag it is on its back, but when I set it on the desk, I set the bag on it's side so the camera is resting on the bottom.

again, thank you for your replies.

bob